New CL -- Images look awful

Well, he has a point - just one shot to finish:

Apo-Telyt-M 135:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And a 100% crop:

Regarding resolution - spider silk has a diameter of 2.5-4.0 µm.

• Like 7

I have no idea what posesses me to post these here but anyway. . .   CL with Zeiss Planar 50 f2 ZM.  ISO125, DNG, light processing in Lightroom "Classic".

. . . David

Edited by burkey
  • Like 8

On (very) long lenses you can use focus peaking, preferably combined with magnification; however, you need to find a clear structure in the desired plane of focus. The easiest is for instance if the subject is on grass. Then you can "walk" the plane of focus to put your subject in the middle of the focus-peaking area.

For short to medium length lenses, just switch it off. It is a recipe for just-out-of-focus shots. Plain magnification is far more precise.

• Like 4

Stick a 60 Macro on the CL and get ready to see resolution to rival almost anything... after all, the pixel density is higher than the SL and the M. With good glass and technique the CL is highly resolving.

I own an X1D, D850, SL and M10 amongst others. I regularly grab the CL and think it’s resolutuon and colour are great and that it delivers comparable IQ to the other cameras in my stable.

However, unless using the 2 stabilised S lenses I do find the CL a little trickier to handhold at low shutter speeds. I think it’s just the low mass of the little camera. And of course, a 24 MP APS-C sensor is a fairly high pixel density even by other manufacturer’s standards.

• Like 4

When I buy a camera i want it to work the way I work. The leica Q is perfect manual aperature or A, manual shutter speed or A(just like the Digilux 2). The CL sadly came without a dedcated shutter speed dial and I didn't like that, it also came only in black. I bought the X-Pro2 graphite because I loved the look and it had all the manual controls I wanted. I wanted a small digital system to replace my old film CL system, and woudl have bought the CL if it had been available in titanium/silver and had a manual shutter control. As it is I am happy to wait.

The downside to the Fuji system is third party manual lenses. Fuji lenses are brilliant but huge, if you use a thrd party lens then you have to manually correct any chromatic aberration which I cannot work out how to do. With the CL you have a vast choice of manual Leica lenses so the camera shoudl fix the CA in camera.

I am sure the CL is a system that is going to have legs, and I am very patient and I will swap when Leica intrduces a camera that ticks all the boxes for me.

When I buy a camera i want it to work the way I work. The leica Q is perfect manual aperature or A, manual shutter speed or A(just like the Digilux 2). The CL sadly came without a dedcated shutter speed dial and I didn't like that, it also came only in black. I bought the X-Pro2 graphite because I loved the look and it had all the manual controls I wanted. I wanted a small digital system to replace my old film CL system, and woudl have bought the CL if it had been available in titanium/silver and had a manual shutter control. As it is I am happy to wait.

The downside to the Fuji system is third party manual lenses. Fuji lenses are brilliant but huge, if you use a thrd party lens then you have to manually correct any chromatic aberration which I cannot work out how to do. With the CL you have a vast choice of manual Leica lenses so the camera shoudl fix the CA in camera.

I am sure the CL is a system that is going to have legs, and I am very patient and I will swap when Leica intrduces a camera that ticks all the boxes for me.

In Lightroom CC:

Other Lightroom versions have sliders in the develop module, scroll down, in Photoshop use the Lens Correction (lens symbol)  tab in ACR to get the "defringe" sliders.

• Like 1

Here is another that I consider good IQ. This was shot with a Sony A7Rii

http://www.pbase.com/jayaltman/image/167518218

And bingo, I think you hit the nail on the head.

"In that case you meed an S"

I DO own a GFX and that camera has about the best image quality of anything I have ever owned. I suppose a lot of my reason for this post was to maybe hear what you said. Fuji XT-2 not whistanding as it may be the exception, I am not sure I have ever (other than that from the XT-2) been completely satisfied with an APS-C image technically. Since Fuji DOES do APS-C exceptionally well, maybe I was hoping that Leica did too.

I think that maybe my expectations were/are just too high for the CL.

Hmmm - interesting you should say that - I spent 3 weeks shooting an XT-2 alongside a CL last September in Crete - I fully expected the Fuji to run rings around the CL, but it didn’t - in any respect (sharpness / colour / focusing). I sold the XT-2 and sent the CL back to Leica (it was theirs).

I suppose it just goes to show that one likes what one likes (I like my M10)

• Like 3

~That M10... I've been firmly resisting. Somebody offered me an M10 in sealed box from a bankruptcy for 2750 Euro, but it has to be a group buy for five cameras... I'm sorely tempted...OTOH, when it is too good to be true, it usually is.

• Like 1

~That M10... I've been firmly resisting. Somebody offered me an M10 in sealed box from a bankrupcy for 2750 Euro, but it has to be a group buy for five cameras... I'm sorely tempted...

Do you mean you have to buy 5 of them? I might be tempted if there are another three people around.......

I might be passing your way next month.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

~That M10... I've been firmly resisting. Somebody offered me an M10 in sealed box from a bankrupcy for 2750 Euro, but it has to be a group buy for five cameras... I'm sorely tempted...

If he goes for $2000 a piece, I am in it.