Is it possible to adapt a SL to take a SL-2 meter cell?

fiddlefye

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a really lovely SL with an iffy meter cell. I've tried coming up with a new cell to replace it, but those who have them insist upon a complete restoration the camera simply doesn't need. So, if I have to go hunting up a donor body anyway, why not adapt the camera to take the more sensitive cell from the SL-2? Has anyone done this successfully?

I don't know about the fit, but it would probably take some circuit changes, as the SL2 meter is more sensitive. Last year I added an SL2 to my stable, and if you like the SL, there is a lot to like about the 2.

I don't know about the fit, but it would probably take some circuit changes, as the SL2 meter is more sensitive. Last year I added an SL2 to my stable, and if you like the SL, there is a lot to like about the 2.

I also have a SL-2 which I just got back from my tech looking lovely and working perfectly. He is a very smart guy and if the switch is possible he could certainly accomplish the work. I have to admit that much of the genesis for this notion is due to frustration in finding a functioning SL sensor. It looks like the only way to get one is from a donor and the people I've encountered with bodies that might have possibilities never seem to be able to tell me if the sensor is actually good. Not much point in buying something if the one part I actually need is an unknown quantity. So if I have to spend the energy on the hunt and the switch is possible why not go for it? I vaguely recall someone mentioning in a thread somewhere that their tech had done it for them, but memory can be fickle! Here is my little pair of lovelies.

41033759001_a8847475f6_k.jpgLeicaflex SL and SL-2 by fiddlefye, on Flickr