Sign in to follow this  
ojdow

What adapter do I need to make a Jupiter 12 lens fit my Leica M4?

Hi,

I'm new to Leica's and I have just bought an M4 but as I'm on a pretty tight budget, I bought a Jupiter 12 35mm lens. I've heard good things about this lens for the price but as it doesn't currently fit the M4 I've read that I need an adapter for it. Does anybody know the exact adapter I need? I've seen some on eBay that I think might do the trick but I can't be sure and I don't want to buy the wrong thing! Thanks.

Welcome.

You'll need a 35-135 LTM to M adapter.

Leica/Leitz and Voigtländer ones are generally recommended, but are relatively expensive and can be difficult to find. Some no-name Chinese adapters may also work, also bearing in mind that the "native" focus on old Russian lenses is off more often than not and will likely need adjusting (aka 'shimming') anyway.

A search on this forum and RFF should give you plenty of useful information.  

In addition to adapter it might need hood to stop ugly and massive flare, old soviet lubricant might be dry in focusing part, it might have excessive amount of oil of aperture blades and it might be not aligned for Leica RF. 

I had numerous J-12 (from very first made as Russian Biogon to one of the last batch from 1991), but I never had any as issues free. Luckily all of those are easy to correct by DIY.