The Third Lens

designdog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Other the costs, I had little difficulty duplicating my Nikon kit in the Leica world.

Me too, still do (since 1990 when I stepped over), when it comes to the lack of a handy 100mm at Leica. I find a 90 a bit too wide for portrait actually

Me too, still do (since 1990 when I stepped over), when it comes to the lack of a handy 100mm at Leica. I find a 90 a bit too wide for portrait actually

Well, there are Japanese 100/105mm lenses in LTM - no ASPH or APO, but some are pretty impressive even today.

• Like 1

Elmarit 90/2.8 then! Thin or fat?

Choices of 90mm Leica lens is huge.

- old 90mm in Elmar 4/90 collapsible/rigid or Elmarit 2.8/90

- Tele-Elmarit exist in Thin or Fat (not Elmarit so called fat or thin)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Tele-Elmarit

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Tele-Elmarit-M

- then Elmarit-M 2.8/90 the latest before Summarit-M

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Elmarit_f%3D_9_cm_1:2.8

- Macro-Elmar-M 4/90, my prefered to go with MATE (28-35-50), another very nice modern collapsible 90mm

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/4_Macro-Elmar-M

In my use Elmarit 2.8/90 (old), a bit long but the best value for money (at one time I had three, only two now in black and silver :p).

Tele-Elmarit 2.8/90 thin, I had from the start then sold and buy more than one time: every model suffers from flare but very good and light otherwise.

I had also Summicron-M 90 but didn't use much, so sold long ago.

I own 4-50's plus a 21, 24, 28, 2-35's, 75 and 90. What I use most of the time are the 28, 35 and 50. I hardly ever use a 75 or 90. If I only owned the 35 and 50, I would be adding the 28. Mine is a cron of the current vintage. FWIW.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own 4-50's plus a 21, 24, 28, 2-35's, 75 and 90. What I use most of the time are the 28, 35 and 50. I hardly ever use a 75 or 90. If I only owned the 35 and 50, I would be adding the 28. Mine is a cron of the current vintage. FWIW.

I enjoyed shooting with the 28mm on the Q and the Nikon 28mm 1.4E. But don't you think it is too close to the 35 to carry a 28/35/50 kit...?

I enjoyed shooting with the 28mm on the Q and the Nikon 28mm 1.4E. But don't you think it is too close to the 35 to carry a 28/35/50 kit...?

Since I am a wide angle sort of shooter mainly, it is not that close for me. Depending on where I am and what I am doing, it is not that big a deal to carry the three lens. I can carry two of them in my coat pockets. FWIW

But don't you think it is too close to the 35 to carry a 28/35/50 kit...?

A 28/35/50 kit would be too close for my shooting style and subjects. If I needed something that close, I would shoot with my Nikon mounted with a 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom instead.

Well, there are Japanese 100/105mm lenses in LTM - no ASPH or APO, but some are pretty impressive even today.

Sure, Olympus made a great 100/2.0 too, I meant Leica did not make a 100, only a very big Elmarit

• Like 1

What about the Voigtlander 21 1.8 and 75 1.8 - making a four lens kit for about the price of a 75 mm Summarit? These Voigtlanders are probably not as good as the Leicas, but they seem pretty good - perhaps good enough for lenses that will be used infrequently...?

What about the Voigtlander 21 1.8 and 75 1.8 - making a four lens kit for about the price of a 75 mm Summarit? These Voigtlanders are probably not as good as the Leicas, but they seem pretty good - perhaps good enough for lenses that will be used infrequently...?

Well, you dont get the insane QA of a Leica lens, and obviously everybody has different ideas about what image quality actually constitutes - but otherwise Zeiss and Voigtländer are exactly the same as a Leica lens.

Well, you dont get the insane QA of a Leica lens, and obviously everybody has different ideas about what image quality actually constitutes - but otherwise Zeiss and Voigtländer are exactly the same as a Leica lens.

Funny how I have entirely opposite views...

Firstly, Leica QA is far from being faultless.

Secondly, optical quality can somehow be measured (see MTF charts, for example) - or at the very least characterized (eg, edge fall-off, fringing, etc.). Whether one likes the way a lens 'draws' or 'renders' is indeed a personal preference. For example, my APO 50 provides demonstrably better IQ than, say, my Summilux pre-ASPH, but I tend to prefer images taken with the latter.

And thirdly, no, Leica, Zeiss and Voigtländer are far from being "exactly the same" (and I have more than a few from each brand...). Else two of these manufacturers would have been out of business a long time ago.

Look through your favorite / most admired pics to discern what sort you're naturally attracted to & want to pursue further

Then get the lens you need, not want.

You're going about it backwards

And... as you grow / change, so will your collection of lenses

OK so I "capitulated" and got the 75 2 Summicron ASPH. Trois Summicron. Good combination, no?

Yes excellent. Don't underestimate your 50/2 v5. It is a Mandler lens with a gentler rendering than your 35/2 asph and 75/2 apo especially at f/2 where it softens better little skin imperfections. 

Look through your favorite / most admired pics to discern what sort you're naturally attracted to & want to pursue further

Then get the lens you need, not want.

You're going about it backwards

And... as you grow / change, so will your collection of lenses

You are assuming I am a novice. Well - I am - in regard to the Leica digital system, but I have photos in my Lightroom database going back to the original Nikon digital cameras circa 1998/99, so I can certainly see what focal lengths I prefer. They are: 35mm, 50mm, 85mm in primes and 24-70 in zoom. Probably like most non-professionals.

I admit that my original post made me look like a novice, I was really looking for recommendations based upon lens available to a fairly well off individual but not one living in a multimillion dollar home! The Noct is out of my range, and I wouldn't have it in any case! (Well, probably...) I think I settled on lenses best for me, but I know very well that next year they will be different...