MAKAM?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did not even remember I had this item I just found back in a forgotten drawer. It looks like a MAKAM but is not marked. It is definitely a plate camera for photomicrography, since it has a removable E.Leitz Wetzlar 9x12 plate holder in the back. An early MAKAM? Comments welcome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember using this kit when I worked at Norton Company, the largest manufacturer of abrasives and grinding wheels in the world. Received a request from advertising to take pictures of different abrasive grains. You focus using a ground glass and then pull that and insert the film holder and pull the blind. Oh yes I forgot you also had to take an exposure reading off the ground glass. Then close the blind and go to the dark room to develop the negative and slide it into the enlarger and print the image. Those advertising guys could not understand why I charged so many hours for a few simple pictures. Now it would be a piece of cake but not then. After taking many pictures they then wanted color pictures.....advertising guys always want something more. I took those pictures but had to send them out for developing and printing as we did not have a color set up.

Imagine all the time in the dark room and using different contrast papers to bring out the abrasive grain highlights. Oh yes I forgot to mention the flat piece of glass on which the grains were mounted, the lights coming at angles, the color balance issues, the different macro lens ets..etc. my favorite lens was the Leitz Wetzlar Mikro Summar 42mm f4.5 lens Barnack used on his UR Camera. It is still my favorite lens and very versatile too. Not surprised that he chose it for his UR pictures. At Norton we loved that lens because it has a diaphragm and good contrast and was small so it did not interfere with the lighting!

I remember using this kit when I worked at Norton Company, the largest manufacturer of abrasives and grinding wheels in the world. Received a request from advertising to take pictures of different abrasive grains. You focus using a ground glass and then pull that and insert the film holder and pull the blind. Oh yes I forgot you also had to take an exposure reading off the ground glass. Then close the blind and go to the dark room to develop the negative and slide it into the enlarger and print the image. Those advertising guys could not understand why I charged so many hours for a few simple pictures. Now it would be a piece of cake but not then. After taking many pictures they then wanted color pictures.....advertising guys always want something more. I took those pictures but had to send them out for developing and printing as we did not have a color set up.

Imagine all the time in the dark room and using different contrast papers to bring out the abrasive grain highlights. Oh yes I forgot to mention the flat piece of glass on which the grains were mounted, the lights coming at angles, the color balance issues, the different macro lens ets..etc. my favorite lens was the Leitz Wetzlar Mikro Summar 42mm f4.5 lens Barnack used on his UR Camera. It is still my favorite lens and very versatile too. Not surprised that he chose it for his UR pictures. At Norton we loved that lens because it has a diaphragm and good contrast and was small so it did not interfere with the lighting!

Thank you, George. I never had to do as an intricate job as yours, but it reminded me the early times in dark rooms. Better and much easier now with digital, printers etc, but...

• 1 year later...

i have this one, i think is a Makam not marked, only leitz wetzlar, not name or serial number.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fedeRK
forgot photos
  • Thanks 1