Leica S007 verses H6D100c both with HC lenses

Here is something else that I have just found out

When I open one of the H6D images in ACR it gives it that inferred color cast

ACR

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Phocus.....to big I will reply with the Phocus import

Same file imported into Phocus

In that case, it might not be IR contamination as much as a problematic profile. Profiles often have the hardest time with shadows, and especially if you are pushing the file 1.5 stops (or more if you are also lifting the shadows), so it could be we are just seeing a profiling issue. 

Regarding the comparison, it is tricky to do. On the one hand, it would be more helpful to see two different ways of comparison: 1. How the files come out of the opposing cameras without adjustment. 2. When they are each worked to the same goal of being a more or less matched final file. I am not quite sure where these are between those two poles. 

• Like 2

SO what do you think about the difference between S007 and Hassy here in this case?

Tom

I like them both.

I prefer the H6D over the Soo7 because I just like the feel of it in my hands and love the 100c IQ..........the Leica Soo7 files are great and as we all can agree the S lenses are also great but in my case "size matters" and the H6D100c IQ knocks spots off the S007. I'm going to keep my S system until after my safari in September then I will probable let it go.

Below is a link to some High Definition images taken with both the H6D100c and the Soo7 so you can look at them yourself and make your own mind up..........all of the above is a personnel choice ...........others may have there own opinions

H6D100c    http://neilsphotography.co.uk/hasselblad-h6d-prints/

Leica S007     http://neilsphotography.co.uk/leica-medium-format/

Neil 

As you said yourself in the other thread, for forum posts a TL will suffice. No way to adequately assess these here. And, in any case, they’re different pics and even different subject matter, so direct comparisons are impossible. But as you also said, the only thing that matters is what you think.

Jeff

Tom

I like them both.

I prefer the H6D over the Soo7 because I just like the feel of it in my hands and love the 100c IQ..........the Leica Soo7 files are great and as we all can agree the S lenses are also great but in my case "size matters" and the H6D100c IQ knocks spots off the S007. I'm going to keep my S system until after my safari in September then I will probable let it go.

Below is a link to some High Definition images taken with both the H6D100c and the Soo7 so you can look at them yourself and make your own mind up..........all of the above is a personnel choice ...........others may have there own opinions

H6D100c    http://neilsphotography.co.uk/hasselblad-h6d-prints/

Leica S007     http://neilsphotography.co.uk/leica-medium-format/

Neil 

Neil, after admiring the Hasselblad images of your models, I have a new standard for detail assessment - let's call it "goose pimple resolution."

Most impressive. And then I wonder - necessary?

Cheers, mate.

David

From my point of view, all today's medium format digital cameras can produce amazing image quality. Where I find practical differences is mostly in their (and my) ability to achieve critical focus - this may not be an issue for a landscape or product photographer but does become important when you start photographing people (e.g. models, portraits, fashion, like here). One of these days, I plan to rent the Hasselblad to try the "True Focus" feature. It is here where I think the Leica's weakest point is - the AF is accurate but inadequate in situations where the model (or the photographer) may move half an inch back or forth between focusing and pressing the shutter button (or where the original focus point is slightly off from the real distance when using the "focus and recompose" technique). I was shooting with a model yesterday and tried to use the Summicron 100 at f2.0 for a series of half-body images, with the model lying down on a couch. Even though I carefully refocused after every shot, I did not manage more than approx 1/2 of the resulting images focused correctly. In comparison, with the Fuji GFX, the face recognition / eye focus feature would have nailed the focus in close to 100% images, in this situation, even with the 110/f2.0 shot wide open. I suspect the True Focus on the HD6 would have been a real help here, also.  NB: I find the S100 much more difficult to focus than for instance the S180 and I often switch to the longer lens during a shoot - similar DOF when shot wide open, and much higher percentage of keepers. NB2: Nothing wrong with "goose pimple resolution" - it's good to have it, if your computer and data storage are up to the task.

• Like 1

Still curious what is what in 1/. and 2/. Or am I missing something? I prefer 2/. btw because of deeper blacks and 1/. seems a bit flat to me. Don’t know if that comes through in prints too, which is of course the final criterium. The hairs on the arm and the structure/tonal scale in the hand are very nice in 2/. too. Couldn’t it be caused by just half a stop difference in exposure?

As for IR, I see in the HB collection a magenta cast on the black? swimsuit first row right. So it’s not definite for me if that’s the Leica S’s flaw: on the fifth row of the S images I see a very deep black pair of pants.

Very interesting Neil! Thanks for doing this for us out of boredom.

Edited by otto.f

Still curious what is what in 1/. and 2/. Or am I missing something? I prefer 2/. btw because of deeper blacks and 1/. seems a bit flat to me. Don’t know if that comes through in prints too, which is of course the final criterium. The hairs on the arm and the structure/tonal scale in the hand are very nice in 2/. too. Couldn’t it be caused by just half a stop difference in exposure?

As for IR, I see in the HB collection a magenta cast on the black? swimsuit first row right. So it’s not definite for me if that’s the Leica S’s flaw: on the fifth row of the S images I see a very deep black pair of pants.

Very interesting Neil! Thanks for doing this for us out of boredom.

Otto

If I remember rightly one is H6D and too is S007.....there both great and Amanda is amazing :) :) 

Neil

Nice 3D effect with the HC300mm f4.5 lens..............again minimal PP done