Leica S007 verses H6D100c both with HC lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I plan to do a comparison of images taken with both the Leica S007 and the Hasselblad H6D100c both using the HC100mm and the HC300mm The HC100mm being the Hasselblad equivalent of the Noctilux. I will be shooting a couple of models in 2 weeks time so will use them as the guide pigs for this test...........

Why am I doing this test, I really don't know as I already know the outcome, but I will do it as I am bored and looking for new adventures 

Neil

Neil, as a fan of stitching in order to get different perspective wides and increased resolution I'd be interested to see how many 007 images stitched would give the equivalent resolution to the Hasselblad. From a mathematical perspective with overlap considered it should be 4-5? However, 2 might get closer than the numbers might suggest and 3 could be too close to call.

Edited by darylgo

Ha, and let's not forget that the success of a photo is defined by the viewer's emotional reaction, rather that the incremental resolution of a 100MP back :-). Looking forward to seeing the results of your shoots which will no doubt be great no matter what camera you use. NB: As I am writing this, I am  booking a really beautiful Czech model for next week (but will probably shoot her on the GFX, so won't be allowed to post here :-) NB2: These days, my "gear acquisition syndrome" is focused squarely on lighting modifiers and painted canvas backdrops. Can't wait to use the Mola Setti and the dark green painted canvas from Franklin backdrops that arrived in post in the past days. NB3: If you are "bored and looking for new adventures", buy some good books for inspiration. E.g. the Taschen book by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott (Eur 600) or "Senza Parole" or "Diamonds and Pearls" by Marc Lagrange. And perhaps put a pre-order on Amazon on the Paolo Roversi book that's coming out  in September.

Edited by albireo_double

I plan to do a comparison of images taken with both the Leica S007 and the Hasselblad H6D100c both using the HC100mm and the HC300mm The HC100mm being the Hasselblad equivalent of the Noctilux. I will be shooting a couple of models in 2 weeks time so will use them as the guide pigs for this test...........

Why am I doing this test, I really don't know as I already know the outcome, but I will do it as I am bored and looking for new adventures 

Neil

For the sake of God, just don't tell people which picture was taken with which camera. Remove exif, make them the same size, and let us guess. Thank you :)

• Like 1

For the sake of God, just don't tell people which picture was taken with which camera. Remove exif, make them the same size, and let us guess. Thank you :)

any god in particular???

.... And perhaps put a pre-order on Amazon on the Paolo Roversi book that's coming out  in September.

Which book is that? I looked but did not find a new one being released. thanks in advance. 

I will have the first of two photo shoots tomorrow followed by one on Sunday. I will use both the H6D and also the Soo7. My go to lens for this kind of shoot is my HC150 but may shoot some head jobs with the HC300 as well......... it will be interesting to see how the lenses render on the different sensors

Neil

Okay here is a picture of Amanda. One taken with my H6D and one with my Soo7 both using HC100mm.

They were both shot hand held and using one Profoto Octibox with a B1 Head at f8 1/1800 ISO 64

Both RAW images were about 1.5 stops under exposed and both were Auto corrected in ACR......no other PP was performed

I cropped the H6D image so that they both had the same aspect ratio

Both of the raw files are super sharp on both eyes.........I will try and PP one of these images to my liking later today and post that on  my website in full resolution.........I will send the link once it is done

As for the rest of the photo shoot I used my H6D all the time, trying to switch between cameras in the middle of a shoot was a nightmare....also my Soo7 locked up one time and I had to pull the battery to get it to reset.........its never done that before??

Here are the images below

1/.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2/.

Yes, but the dress is black in the second photo as opposed to the red (IR) cast in the first.

Mark what’s IR?? But yes the dress is black.

Neil

I was going to say the first was the S007. Not just the IR contamination (IR = infrared) but also the warmish colours and the way greens and browns are rendered. There have been IR contamination issues with digital Leicas since the times of the M8, due to the thin IR cut-off filter on their sensor  (the M8 officially required IR cutoff filters when shooting black fabrics etc. whereas these are officially no longer required or recommended by Leica for later M models). I still use these filters with my M10. The effect looks quite strong here, with this velvet dress.  It would be interesting to see it reshot on the S007 with an IR cutoff filter (like this: https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=687&IID=9673). But they are hard to get in bigger sizes.

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 2

From first look,

besides different color temperature, to me the first looks a little smoother, the second a little more microcontrast and detail.For some reason the light seems to look "nicer" in the first shot for my taste.

Agree - and ignoring the false dress colour... - the frist image has more interesting (alive) colours and depth. In comparison, the second image is on the dark side, lacking the bakgrund texture/colour behind the model, contributing to the loss of depth. Edited by helged

It’s really tough doing a comparison with a model as they move they smile they just look so different every couple of seconds.

The raw files are both incredibly sharp but the Hassy definitely stands out to me in the skin tones and the depth of field............ I’m heading back to the rig tonight. When I come home I will print them both tben re critique them

Neil