Requests to Leica for new M lenses

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 2x Extender-M with vario hot shoe viewfinder (for film and CCD digital M's)

I have the Komura extender-M but it's very poor and I feel sure that Leica would be able to produce a far superior one.  

To be able to double the focal length of a lens, for example from 50 to 100 mm or 28 to 56 mm, should significantly reduce the weight in the bag; I'd be happy to sacrifice a couple of stops for the convenience.  It might even appeal to those who are calling for a Bi- 28 to 50.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Sixty millimeters is the avowed upper limit for an M lens' entry pupil diameter. The new Noctilux-M 75 mm 1:1.25 Asph exploits this limit, and so will the alleged upcoming Summilux-M 90 mm 1:1.5 Asph (75/1.25 = 90/1.5 = 60). The current Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:0.95 Asph's entry pupil, however, is just short of 55 mm.

So I wouldn't be too surprised if we'll see an updated 50 mm Noctilux within, say, the next two or three years which also utilises the same upper limit. So there could be a Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:0.85 Asph ... hopefully with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7 m. The current maximum aperture of f/0.95 is just 1/7 of an f-stop better than f/1. In contrast to that, f/0.85 would be half an f-stop better than f/1 and a full f-stop better than f/1.2. This would make a significant difference to f/0.95 which is a number just for the bragging rights.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 1

The breadth and quality of M lenses is already crazy good. But a 24mm Summicron would be very nice...

And bringing back the collapsible 50mm summicron (or even 50mm Elmar 3.5) is a gorgeous idea. Would prefer them if they had updated optics, however. More reason to go for them and not the current real deals you could pick up for an absolute steal...

Edited by jonatdonuts

Sixty millimeters is the avowed upper limit for an M lens' entry pupil diameter. The new Noctilux-M 75 mm 1:1.25 Asph exploits this limit, and so will the alleged upcoming Summilux-M 90 mm 1:1.5 Asph (75/1.25 = 90/1.5 = 60).

Or 35mm f 1/0.6

The breadth and quality of M lenses is already crazy good. But a 24mm Summicron would be very nice...

And bringing back the collapsible 50mm summicron (or even 50mm Elmar 3.5) is a gorgeous idea. Would prefer them if they had updated optics, however. More reason to go for them and not the current real deals you could pick up for an absolute steal...

Those are Double-Gauss designs, and apart from some tweaking of optical glass and positioning the aperture differently - which they did with the last Elmar 2.8 collapsible- there is not much gain to be had over the old designs, which were pretty good anyway.

• Like 1

The quality of the 28 Summaron is fantastic, at least to my tastes. Gritty, rich, and sharp. But it's a shame they didn't do more to improve the handling of flare. It's very difficult to shoot into the sun at any aperture, even with the enormous hood. One of the few weaknesses of older lenses I never had much care for. 

Those are Double-Gauss designs, and apart from some tweaking of optical glass and positioning the aperture differently - which they did with the last Elmar 2.8 collapsible- there is not much gain to be had over the old designs, which were pretty good anyway.

Edited by jonatdonuts

The quality of the 28 Summaron is fantastic, at least to my tastes. Gritty, rich, and sharp. But it's a shame they didn't do more to improve the handling of flare. It's very difficult to shoot into the sun at any aperture, even with the enormous hood. One of the few weaknesses of older lenses I never had much care for. 

I agree, it's a great lens... if I could keep only one, this would be it. I'm not a big flare fan either, I have to say though that I've not had too many issues with flare. I've never used the hood, it's still wrapped up in the box.

42241031172_9a7b63e92a_b.jpg

41566237314_03e4606211_b.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely images, especially the first one. You've used the light very nicely. 

I can get similar results when the sun is low but in the middle of the day I find I do need to be careful. The sun tends to be represented as a big white blob in the sky. Getting relatively even sun stars is something I've also found quite difficult on the Summaron but relatively easy on the modern designs. 

I agree, it's a great lens... if I could keep only one, this would be it. I'm not a big flare fan either, I have to say though that I've not had too many issues with flare. I've never used the hood, it's still wrapped up in the box.

42241031172_9a7b63e92a_b.jpg

41566237314_03e4606211_b.jpg

• Like 1

A 2x Extender-M with vario hot shoe viewfinder (for film and CCD digital M's)

I have the Komura extender-M but it's very poor and I feel sure that Leica would be able to produce a far superior one.  

To be able to double the focal length of a lens, for example from 50 to 100 mm or 28 to 56 mm, should significantly reduce the weight in the bag; I'd be happy to sacrifice a couple of stops for the convenience.  It might even appeal to those who are calling for a Bi- 28 to 50.

Pete.

A 50 Noctilux with 2x would be fun to try and might be a surprisingly ______ (fill in the blank) portrait lens.  

Did I miss anything :-)

Yes I think so. The last decade has been characterized by a storm of bulky Summiluxes and two Noctiluxes along with a cheap series of 2.5-ers, which was sometimes over the edge of what M-photography is about. If I’m not mistaken there was one new Summicron, the APO 50.

If I were Leica I would change the canal of fast lenses to the SL mount and concentrate on small and handy Summicrons for the M line, perhaps even collapsibles again, so that it can go back to its roots: a street camera.

Since there is an SL, I don’t see why the new Thambar was still made for the M, it makes much more sense to make such a lens for a TTL system.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I wrote in another recent thread, the APO designation for a 35 wouldn’t mean much technically, as Andy (Adan) explains...https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/281798-does-anyone-expect-a-35mm-summicron-apo-in-the-future/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3461163

Jeff

It makes sense. The charts may not be affected so much but I’m optimistic what else they do in Leica wholistic fashion that make up the APO posture. Especially in the Karbe reign. :). Even if that results in extortion ha!