Requests to Leica for new M lenses

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt that Leica monitors the forum. Can you imagine how much time an employee would waste ploughing through all this in two languages?

You must not have followed the forum long term. Leica has responded on the forum, particularly when serious issues have arisen with the M system. When the forum blew up over the M screen problems, for example, Stefan Daniel posted here himself with an apology, an explanation and a plan. There was similar responsiveness over the sensor corrosion issues. They know what’s going on.

Jeff

• Like 2

Reissue the 35mm Summaron as part of their "classic series".

Would be fine… but for the "classic series" they target "special" lenses on which a "special price" can be applied accordingly… :) No room for the Summaron, I fear… considering that till now they have made a 28 and a 90, I'd bet the next could be a 50... maybe a Xenon (in 2019 it will turn 80 years from discontinuation) or even the Nocti 1,2... Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

35mm Summicron that has the same IQ as the 50 APO-Summicron

35mm Noctilux

24mm Summicron

135mm Summicron

90mm Summilux - to be expected of course.

35-50-75 Tri-Something cronoluxarit

28-50 Bi-Cron would be awesome, It would buy that. Nice suggestion Mark!

A range of flagship tiny lenses would be very useful too all with the IQ of the 50 APO-Cron. Something like APO-Emar 35, 50, 75, 90

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 3

35mm Summicron that has the same IQ as the 50 APO-Summicron

35mm Noctilux

24mm Summicron

135mm Summicron

90mm Summilux - to be expected of course.

35-50-75 Tri-Somethingcronoluxarit

28-50 Bi-Cron would be awesome, It would buy that. Nice suggestion Mark!

Seems like a very expensive wish list... :D

No, it's not possible because 50 mm and 75 mm mm frameline settings can't be distinguished from each other. A 35-50-90 mm, however, would be possible—and useful (yet unlikely).

Impossible yes, currently but maybe a future Leica or firmware change could be made.  

A lens design from normal (or slightly telephoto for 50mm) to 2x could keep the lens M size.   

Oh yes, they do. It would not be very wise to disregard a free source of insight into the thought processes of (part of) their customer base.

There are one or two Leica employees who are active members here too. And when a thread gets very important to them, they will be tipped by members with contacts inside Leica.

Whether this type of thread influences their product planning is open to some doubt, however.

No doubt Leica's forum monitors are enthralled by the gripping commentary herein:  https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/284677-not-good/

:lol:

Edited by Herr Barnack

I doubt that Leica monitors the forum. Can you imagine how much time an employee would waste ploughing through all this in two languages?

From conversations with staff during visits, including with other forum members, yes Leica Camera representatives are aware of topics in Leica related online groups, including this one, especially should these have generated considerable interest, related to an issue with products etc.

That is not to say of course that everything would or should be read or acted on.

Edited by hoppyman

Would be fine… but for the "classic series" they target "special" lenses on which a "special price" can be applied accordingly… :) No room for the Summaron, I fear… 

I'm not sure that's the case. The 28mm Summaron reissue (or whatever you want to call it) is only $2,600 US. Not cheap, but very much on the lower end of the spectrum of Leica lens prices.

• Like 1

In my personal rank order:

35 Noctilux in chrome-plated brass

28/2.8/ASPH-II in machined Titanium with companion machined Titanium MP as a kit

75/90/135 Tri-Tele-Elmar, to go with my WATE and MATE

Of course we'll all probably pick up the new 90 Summilux when it comes out as well.

Eric