Magnfication increments question

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends, I am contemplating a long lens - probably the Hasselblad 300mm. I have the Contax adapter which I use primarily with the 120mm which is a splendid piece of glass and a veritable bargain in the world of Leica lenses. But the Contax ZEISS TELE-APOTESSAR 350MM F/4 weighs in at over 8lbs, with the Hasselblad at less than half that. The Zeiss is $1000 more on the used market as well. Though getting the H would necessitate purchasing the H adapter.

But to my question. I am interested to know what the magnification increments are with each click of the wheel on my S body when it is in "zoom" mode. Let us say I am shooting the 70mm. There are four available click enlargements. Frankly, I cannot eyeball whether there is a 1.5x magnification with each adjustment or not, but that is what I would guess if I had to. If so, it would go 70 to 105 to 157.5 to 236.25 to 354.375. If I am close to the actual intervals, the ultimate adjustment would give me a pretty good sense of what a 300-350mm lens would see.

Please educate me.

Cheers.

David

There is also the manual focus Mamiya 645 300/2.8 APO which uses a dumb/cheaper adapter...  Can be used with the Mamiya 2x converter for longer reach.

john

John,

Obliged for the suggestion. 

I assume this is the adapter - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813829-REG/Leica_16025_S_Adapter_for_Mamiya.html

Lot of dough for a dumb connector. And so it goes.....

John, I have seen your posted images with the 2.8 which are impressive. But I have found no samples of that lens on line. That said, there are all kinds of f4.5 iterations for $700-800, which is about 1/4 of the cost of the Hasselblad or Contax. What say you to that version?

Cheers.

David

Edited by Deliberate1

I don't think the f4.5 works as it is AF with auto-aperture.  There is a cheaper Kipon adapter available on the auction site, and the 2.8 lens appears now and again......

john

John, appreciate your reply, but I do not follow your reference to "f4.5" as incompatible. If you are referring to the Hasselblad 300mm f4.5, several here, including Neil and jip, are using it very successfully, and with full function, with the H adapter. But, perhaps I misunderstood your intent.

Cheers.

David

John, appreciate your reply, but I do not follow your reference to "f4.5" as incompatible. If you are referring to the Hasselblad 300mm f4.5, several here, including Neil and jip, are using it very successfully, and with full function, with the H adapter. But, perhaps I misunderstood your intent.

Cheers.

David

My interpretation was that he was referring to the 300/4.5 AF Mamiya lens....