Leica iiif: light leak or shutter curtain problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I've just developed and scanned my first test roll shot with a Leica iiif that I recently bought at an auction (1940 Elmar f3.5 lens and 1954 camera body). Almost all of the photos had this mark on the right hand side (the mark is visible on the negatives too). I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this is a light leak or a shutter curtain problem. Or something else? Is this a problem with the mechanics of the camera of did I perhaps load the film incorrectly?

Everything else about the camera seems in good working order apart from this.

Thanks in advance,

Eran.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is no light leak. It is due to an incorrect synchronization of the travel of the first and second shutter curtain (change of slit width while the shutter is operating, which leads to different exposure, as evidenced by the darker strip at the right side). Any knowledgeable Leica technician will resolve that problem, usually by way of a CLA (clean, lubricate and adjust).

Cheers, Andy

Edited by wizard
  • Like 1

I saw your post on the other forum and referred you to the list of repairpersons on this site in the collector/historica forum. There are several persons in Australia who get high marks for their Leica CLAs and other work. Good luck in getting your issue fixed.

• Like 1

I'm in a position right now where a newly acquired IIIf needs a CLA. I got it along with a genuine collapsible 1938 LTM Zeiss Sonnar 5cm f/2 lens. The price I paid for both just doesn't justify the CLA price so I'm at a crossroads. It's too bad as prices on IIIf's that haven't had a tune-up just doesn't match the secondary market value, at least for me that is.

Edited by Hello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't look at old camera service in terms of market value, but as a means to turn something useless to full "functional art" status. I have Leicas to appreciate and use, not for resale value. Keep them out of landfills and dumps.

• Like 2

I don't look at old camera service in terms of market value, but as a means to turn something useless to full "functional art" status. I have Leicas to appreciate and use, not for resale value. Keep them out of landfills and dumps.

Wish I could look at that in the same way.

Thanks for the quick replies! The frames were all shot at 1/50 to 1/200. I'll look up a qualified repair place and book it in for a CLA as soon as I can.

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies! The frames were all shot at 1/50 to 1/200. I'll look up a qualified repair place and book it in for a CLA as soon as I can.TH

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll book in my camera for a CLA as soon as I can. Good to hear that it's a typical job that can be fixed.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Eran.

I'g guess curtain brake adjustment. Either the first curtain is bouncing back into the frame a bit, or it is slowing the last bit of movement,

Tom, image is reversed on a film. It is rather that the first curtain which is sluggish when starting and gets to speed later. As many suggested CLA shall correct it. But, the curtains itself might need replacement too, looking at the edge of the darker bar it is not a straight line. Or is it only because this is digital image what I can see?

... thinking a bit where I would look in particular during CLA.... and for those of you are familiar how the camera works...

@Eran - do you observe different  width of darker bar on negatives shot at 1/200 and 1/500? I would assume yes.

The problem is then most probably in the area of bigger shutter drum.

When you press release button the opening curtain starts to rotate. The spools where the ribbons of first curtain (1) are fix mounted on the axis, the axis starts to rotate as well. But the drum of the closing curtain (2), which is on the same axis as (1) is being halted until the slid reaches the width according to the set speed. The axis (and thus opening curtain) has to overcome the friction of the drum (2). When the second curtain is released both curtains rotate with (more or less) same speed, the is no more friction between the axis and drum of (2). The rest of the image seem to be equaly exposed.

Washing out the old grase and dirt on the axis is part of the regular CLA.

This is the most probable reason, however there could be few other....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 1

The ist curtain on your shutter may need a little tensioning. How are your slow speeds on this camera? try looking into the camera, remove your lens, with a flashlight and set shutter to b , hold down the shutter button and look to see if your first curtain is completely open from end to end, if it is not completely open, then a small part of the curtain is blocking enough light to make an under exposure at the very end. Or if its too loose it may no have enough umph! to trip the second curtain on B or slower speeds like 1/2 or 1/4 . At 1/50 the first curtain should completely open and then the second curtain gets tripped. This is why the iiif can synch with electronic flash. If  your fearless and a risk taker and good with your hands there is a leica iiif repair manual online that will  show you how to remove the outer shell. If its a iiif without self timer its really easy, getting it back takes some careful study and understanding. I usually remove the outer shell when I buy a iiif, just to check for pinholes and the shutter in general. All the best Robert

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am new with Leica IIIf, I was shown a reel of 36 photos and 38 came out, 4 of them had that photo light attached:

What can be happening? ..

* It will be a mistake of the camera, when I bought it a year ago they told me that it had been revised ...

* It's my fault, I still have not mastered it ...

* Failure of the objective Elmar 50mm f3,5 ..

*Etc.

I hope you can help me.
Thank you.

It looks really like a light leak close to upper, right corner, view from back of the camera. Do you use lens cap? What was the time before you shoot the frames? I guess that frames with light leak were always the first, while the second of the same object was done immediately after the first. Has the perforation been exposed, is it darkened?

Hi all,

I've just developed and scanned my first test roll shot with a Leica iiif that I recently bought at an auction (1940 Elmar f3.5 lens and 1954 camera body). Almost all of the photos had this mark on the right hand side (the mark is visible on the negatives too). I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this is a light leak or a shutter curtain problem. Or something else? Is this a problem with the mechanics of the camera of did I perhaps load the film incorrectly?

Everything else about the camera seems in good working order apart from this.

Thanks in advance,

Eran.

Eran, There is also the possibility that your camera and courtains are fine, and that the fault is in the scanner. The way to know is to look at your negatives and see if the dark band is there.

• Like 1

Eran, There is also the possibility that your camera and courtains are fine, and that the fault is in the scanner. The way to know is to look at your negatives and see if the dark band is there.

I checked the negatives and unfortunately they all have that mark on the same side. The camera is being CLA'd at the moment. Hopefully it's fixable!

Cheers,

Eran.

• Like 1