designdog

Not good

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/21/2018 at 3:46 PM, John Ricard said:

Not only did I take the plastic off the baseplate, but I also removed the sticker with all the letters and symbols from the bottom as well.

Yes, I received my M10 yesterday and I looked at the bottom and there was the ugly sticker and film coating on the baseplate. Some elbow grease, WD 40 and rubbing alcohol removed the sticker and the yucky adhesive. It's beautiful now.   

9 hours ago, lioness731 said:

Yes, I received my M10 yesterday and I looked at the bottom and there was the ugly sticker and film coating on the baseplate. Some elbow grease, WD 40 and rubbing alcohol removed the sticker and the yucky adhesive. It's beautiful now.   

You must store your camera upside down a lot?

You must never remove the plastic from the base plate! It includes important information about which recycling bin you must drop the camera in once you've finished with it. 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb lioness731:

Rubbing the bottom plate with a cheap, disposable latex or nitrile glove that can be obtained in any drugstore for three seconds and the adhesive is gone. Of course, one has to buy a whole  pack of these gloves, but they can be used in the kitchen or for garden work.

13 hours ago, indergaard said:

You must store your camera upside down a lot?

LOL. No but I don't want plastic and stickers on my camera.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2018 at 8:41 AM, designdog said:

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

I guess I'm frumpish, whatever that is. I've been shooting M  cameras for 40 years and have never removed the plastic from the base plate. I've owned around 20 M cameras, all but two purchased new. First off, it protects the base from scratches, which helps the resale value. Second, nobody over three feet tall ever sees it--and even if they did, so what? Unless someone is closely examining the camera, the plastic is invisible.

It seems unlikely to me that the plastic is put there only to protect the M10 "in packing and shipping," as you state. The way the camera comes packaged in a sealed plastic bag, then in a hard, form fitted case with a velvety lining, there's absolutely no way the base plate could get scratched in transit. Otherwise, the entire camera would need to be covered with a "peel off cover," not just the base plate. To the best of my knowledge, Leica have never offered a suggestion one way or the other as to whether to remove the base plastic.

Edited by fotografr