Not good

designdog

Who makes the plastic cover I wonder? Is it really a Leica cover or are they made in China? Is the plastic more glossy on newer cameras? Have Leica changed the coatings on the plastic? Can you order a la carte without the plastic? Has Erwin Puts written a book about the plastic covers through the years?

• Like 1

I know. Now I have to sleep alone in the bed tonight.

45 years ago mt bride and I made a deal.

We both work and make our own money.

We pool what is necessary to pay joint bills and such.

What is left over is discretionary spending with no grief from either party.

Everybody is happy and no grumbling on what is bought.

Edit: we both worked. Now we don’t.

Edited by jdlaing
  • Thanks 1

Is it OK to wear my Submariner in the shower?

Of course. And the plastic thingy is still on the back of my Submariner case which is several years old and worn daily. BTW I still have the plastic on my M10 baseplate as well. 

I thought that the sticker might protect the baseplate but I've just looked and the sticker is worn and frayed (but not sticky) and the baseplate is still covered in scratches with brass showing (not helped by my use of pliers in removing a dent after dropping it though). I find the Kirk arca plate helps protect both but the ends still get worn.

Not only did I take the plastic off the baseplate, but I also removed the sticker with all the letters and symbols from the bottom as well.

Which is not an easy thing to do...;)

It's funny really, I wonder if those who peel the film off also stick duct tape over their red dot and Leica logos.

If Leica didn't stick plastic film to the base plate and someone sold 'base plate protector film' it would sell like hot cakes I bet.

Edited by earleygallery

I have just the stuff to replace that old baseplate film. Just send me $29.95 which covers shipping and handling and I will send you......! NO WAIT!! If you act within the next 72 hours I will double your order and send you enough for two baseplates....!!! AND for the discounted price of $19.95 :D

Hmmm. Owned several Ms over the years and never took off that plastic. Never occurred to me. Now, after this thread, thinking, might remove it! But interesting, none of my other Leica cameras have that film...Q, T. Is it on the S or SL?

Hmmm. Owned several Ms over the years and never took off that plastic. Never occurred to me. Now, after this thread, thinking, might remove it! But interesting, none of my other Leica cameras have that film...Q, T. Is it on the S or SL?

It is not on the S or SL as their bottoms have some rubber areas around where you would attach a tripod or plate.