Not good

designdog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new Leica arrived today from B&H and, after charging the battery, I attempted to peel the plastic off the base plate. Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Fortunately I had a bottle of Goo Gone, which took care of it.

Not a way to be introduced to a $7200 camera, however...

(Camara was manufactured in Feb 2018)

I have always removed my base plate plastic; I thought it was there as a protective layer for inspection and packaging at the factory and/or to protect the baseplate if the camera were to be unboxed at the Leica dealer. 

Many electronic devices have a temporary peel off protective layer on them these days; I thought that is what the plastic was (duh!). :huh:

• Like 2

My new Leica arrived today from B&H and, after charging the battery, I attempted to peel the plastic off the base plate. Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Not a way to be introduced to a $7200 camera, however...

Roll it off with your finger, and it will come off cleanly... no solvent needed!

It's a good thing you didn't snag a nail opening the box. 

FWIW I leave the plastic on, at least until it falls off, but my 2003 MP still has it although by now I think the glue must have welded itself to the paint.

• Like 1

Whatever people's choices about leaving it on or off (I can't remember if mine is on or off), I cannot believe that the company that makes a point of having the most solid and heavy cameras around, recognised for their longevity, sees a bit of sticky plastic film as an essential element of the body :).

• Like 3

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

Yes. I use a screen protector, but that is what it is designed for. Also, the M10 now resides in its half case, which will do a pretty good job of protecting it.

The adhesive, and quite a lot of it, came off when I peeled off the plastic on the bottom plate - no, I did not break a nail. It just surprised me, for a camera of this stature. Also, the plastic came off cleanly on my Q and M-P...

I would offer my first impressions on the camera, but we are having heavy rain for several days. I do like the minimal menu system, and the larger viewfinder...

• Like 2

Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Sounds like they used slimy, sticky adhesive with an expiration date before Feb 2018 for the plastic on the base plate.

Whatever people's choices about leaving it on or off (I can't remember if mine is on or off), I cannot believe that the company that makes a point of having the most solid and heavy cameras around, recognised for their longevity, sees a bit of sticky plastic film as an essential element of the body :).

Of course they do - it symbolizes the durability of the camera ;) 

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

Yes. I use a screen protector, but that is what it is designed for. Also, the M10 now resides in its half case, which will do a pretty good job of protecting it.

The adhesive, and quite a lot of it, came off when I peeled off the plastic on the bottom plate - no, I did not break a nail. It just surprised me, for a camera of this stature. Also, the plastic came off cleanly on my Q and M-P...

I would offer my first impressions on the camera, but we are having heavy rain for several days. I do like the minimal menu system, and the larger viewfinder...

I'm frumpish - and look forward to your review of M10. Have you read all those already published?