My new Leica arrived today from B&H and, after charging the battery, I attempted to peel the plastic off the base plate. Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Fortunately I had a bottle of Goo Gone, which took care of it.

Not a way to be introduced to a $7200 camera, however...

(Camara was manufactured in Feb 2018)

I've always left that plastic on my Digital Leicas to protect the base plate finish. Hasn't worn or caused a problem.

I have always removed my base plate plastic; I thought it was there as a protective layer for inspection and packaging at the factory and/or to protect the baseplate if the camera were to be unboxed at the Leica dealer. 

Many electronic devices have a temporary peel off protective layer on them these days; I thought that is what the plastic was (duh!).

My new Leica arrived today from B&H and, after charging the battery, I attempted to peel the plastic off the base plate. Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Not a way to be introduced to a $7200 camera, however...

Roll it off with your finger, and it will come off cleanly... no solvent needed!

It's a good thing you didn't snag a nail opening the box. 

FWIW I leave the plastic on, at least until it falls off, but my 2003 MP still has it although by now I think the glue must have welded itself to the paint.

After 6 years of owning my M9P the plastic is still there with no noticable wear.  I have no intentions of removing it from my M10 either.

If you have a full service in Wetzlar they replace the plastic foil. Having it in place seems to be important come sale time.

Whatever people's choices about leaving it on or off (I can't remember if mine is on or off), I cannot believe that the company that makes a point of having the most solid and heavy cameras around, recognised for their longevity, sees a bit of sticky plastic film as an essential element of the body

I suspect it is the users (some) who see it as essential, and then only for cosmetic reasons.

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

Yes. I use a screen protector, but that is what it is designed for. Also, the M10 now resides in its half case, which will do a pretty good job of protecting it.

The adhesive, and quite a lot of it, came off when I peeled off the plastic on the bottom plate - no, I did not break a nail. It just surprised me, for a camera of this stature. Also, the plastic came off cleanly on my Q and M-P...

I would offer my first impressions on the camera, but we are having heavy rain for several days. I do like the minimal menu system, and the larger viewfinder...

Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Sounds like they used slimy, sticky adhesive with an expiration date before Feb 2018 for the plastic on the base plate.

Whatever people's choices about leaving it on or off (I can't remember if mine is on or off), I cannot believe that the company that makes a point of having the most solid and heavy cameras around, recognised for their longevity, sees a bit of sticky plastic film as an essential element of the body

Of course they do - it symbolizes the durability of the camera

I never really appreciated protective plastic film until I purchased a used camera that did not have it and the base of the camera was scratched with tripod marks.

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

Yes. I use a screen protector, but that is what it is designed for. Also, the M10 now resides in its half case, which will do a pretty good job of protecting it.

The adhesive, and quite a lot of it, came off when I peeled off the plastic on the bottom plate - no, I did not break a nail. It just surprised me, for a camera of this stature. Also, the plastic came off cleanly on my Q and M-P...

I would offer my first impressions on the camera, but we are having heavy rain for several days. I do like the minimal menu system, and the larger viewfinder...

I'm frumpish - and look forward to your review of M10. Have you read all those already published? 

... Having it in place seems to be important come sale time.

Yeah, that's the thinking of people who buy a Leica vor their showcase ...

Edited by cp995

Yeah, that's the thinking of people who buy a Leica vor their showcase ...

No its better for on the tripod as well. Less vibration.

I bought my M6 new in 1985 - the plastic protection film is still protecting the base. It's had a lot of use in 30 years, but nearly always carried in a case.