The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Not good

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 designdog

designdog

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRichmond VA
  • City / Ort:Richmond, VA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:38

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
My new Leica arrived today from B&H and, after charging the battery, I attempted to peel the plastic off the base plate. Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Fortunately I had a bottle of Goo Gone, which took care of it.

Not a way to be introduced to a $7200 camera, however...

(Camara was manufactured in Feb 2018)

#2 jdlaing

jdlaing

Benutzer Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 5,826 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • City / Ort:The Republic of Texas

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:09

That plastic is not meant to be removed. :)
  • Photon42, LotharZhou, pedaes and 1 other said thank you

#3 TomB_tx

TomB_tx

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:10

I've always left that plastic on my Digital Leicas to protect the base plate finish. Hasn't worn or caused a problem.

#4 Herr Barnack

Herr Barnack

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:30

I have always removed my base plate plastic; I thought it was there as a protective layer for inspection and packaging at the factory and/or to protect the baseplate if the camera were to be unboxed at the Leica dealer. 

Many electronic devices have a temporary peel off protective layer on them these days; I thought that is what the plastic was (duh!). :huh:

• Bill Livingston said thank you to this

#5 onasj

onasj

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:35

My new Leica arrived today from B&H and, after charging the battery, I attempted to peel the plastic off the base plate. Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!
Not a way to be introduced to a $7200 camera, however...

Roll it off with your finger, and it will come off cleanly... no solvent needed!

#6 250swb

250swb

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 7,700 posts
  • LocationPeak District, United Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:01

It's a good thing you didn't snag a nail opening the box. 

FWIW I leave the plastic on, at least until it falls off, but my 2003 MP still has it although by now I think the glue must have welded itself to the paint.

#7 Mr.Q

Mr.Q

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:09

After 6 years of owning my M9P the plastic is still there with no noticable wear.  I have no intentions of removing it from my M10 either.

#8 pedaes

pedaes

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 1,115 posts
  • City / Ort:Ferndown UK

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:05

If you have a full service in Wetzlar they replace the plastic foil. Having it in place seems to be important come sale time.

#9 LocalHero1953

LocalHero1953

Photographer

• Premium Member
  • 4,575 posts
  • LocationCambridge
  • City / Ort:Cambridge

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:21

Whatever people's choices about leaving it on or off (I can't remember if mine is on or off), I cannot believe that the company that makes a point of having the most solid and heavy cameras around, recognised for their longevity, sees a bit of sticky plastic film as an essential element of the body :).

• cp995, Bill Livingston and Mr Fjeld said thank you to this
Paul
=============================
Paul Ashley Photography
Paul Ashley on Instagram

#10 erl

erl

• Moderators
  • 7,695 posts
  • LocationStill trying to get there.
  • City / Ort:Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:35

I suspect it is the users (some) who see it as essential, and then only for cosmetic reasons.

• cp995 and Simon said thank you to this

Cheers,
Erl

My vision is unique. My Leica makes it remarkable!

#11 designdog

designdog

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRichmond VA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 14:41

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

Yes. I use a screen protector, but that is what it is designed for. Also, the M10 now resides in its half case, which will do a pretty good job of protecting it.

The adhesive, and quite a lot of it, came off when I peeled off the plastic on the bottom plate - no, I did not break a nail. It just surprised me, for a camera of this stature. Also, the plastic came off cleanly on my Q and M-P...

I would offer my first impressions on the camera, but we are having heavy rain for several days. I do like the minimal menu system, and the larger viewfinder...

• Lukas F. and Bill Livingston said thank you to this

#12 Chaemono

Chaemono

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 14:55

Ugh! Slimy, sticky adhesive residue all over! Just terrible!

Sounds like they used slimy, sticky adhesive with an expiration date before Feb 2018 for the plastic on the base plate.

#13 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 51,076 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 17 May 2018 - 15:04

Whatever people's choices about leaving it on or off (I can't remember if mine is on or off), I cannot believe that the company that makes a point of having the most solid and heavy cameras around, recognised for their longevity, sees a bit of sticky plastic film as an essential element of the body :).

Of course they do - it symbolizes the durability of the camera ;) 

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

If you're not right... turn left.

#14 Narsuitus

Narsuitus

• Validating
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 16:21

I never really appreciated protective plastic film until I purchased a used camera that did not have it and the base of the camera was scratched with tripod marks.

• RonM said thank you to this

#15 Gobert

Gobert

La Passione Passa dal Cuore

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationArnhem, The Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2018 - 17:18

Plastic cover is meant to remain on the camera. Getting it off will result in an immediate write-off of 50%
  • ronnjay said thank you to this

#16 pedaes

pedaes

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 1,115 posts
  • City / Ort:Ferndown UK

Posted 17 May 2018 - 18:37

The plastic is coming off, just like the plastic cover on the screen. It is placed there for protection in packing and shipping. Nothing more. Personally, I think it a bit frumpish to walk around with a camera, any camera, with the shipping materials still attached. But that is my  opinion.

Yes. I use a screen protector, but that is what it is designed for. Also, the M10 now resides in its half case, which will do a pretty good job of protecting it.

The adhesive, and quite a lot of it, came off when I peeled off the plastic on the bottom plate - no, I did not break a nail. It just surprised me, for a camera of this stature. Also, the plastic came off cleanly on my Q and M-P...

I would offer my first impressions on the camera, but we are having heavy rain for several days. I do like the minimal menu system, and the larger viewfinder...

I'm frumpish - and look forward to your review of M10. Have you read all those already published? 

#17 cp995

cp995

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 18:54

... Having it in place seems to be important come sale time.

Yeah, that's the thinking of people who buy a Leica vor their showcase ... :rolleyes:

Edited by cp995, 17 May 2018 - 18:54.

• Bill Livingston said thank you to this

Chris

#18 Gobert

Gobert

La Passione Passa dal Cuore

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationArnhem, The Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2018 - 20:59

Yeah, that's the thinking of people who buy a Leica vor their showcase ... :rolleyes:

No its better for on the tripod as well. Less vibration.

#19 designdog

designdog

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRichmond VA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 14:22

Sorry, but to me it is like leaving the plastic protectors on your furniture...

• cp995, Lukas F., Bill Livingston and 1 other said thank you

#20 TomB_tx

TomB_tx

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 18 May 2018 - 14:36

I bought my M6 new in 1985 - the plastic protection film is still protecting the base. It's had a lot of use in 30 years, but nearly always carried in a case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic