Time for a new M to be announced at Photokina?

Fgcm

Maybe it coud come with acmatching exotic sportscar? Seat leather to match camera leather

Perhaps a New Bentley Continental GT with a center console made by Zero Halliburton with leather lined cutouts to nestle an M10 with a 50mm and 75mm Noctilux?  The compartment would have to be humidity and temperature stabilized 24/7 to prevent heat damage, of course.

I'm still trying to work out whether the M10 will have the Bentley logo or the Bentley will have the Leica logo...

• Like 1

The sentiments of many here that the M10 is good enough makes me wonder if Leica is near (not at) its pinnacle M.

I believe it is common for electronic technologies to have an occasional becalmed period before the next substantial materials advance. There's life in the VF/RF yet, just need to have the tech available at the price point. Sargasso Sea.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 40 MPx Q2 with a fixed 28 mm lens would appeal to those who like the rendering of Leica lenses and want a compact FF camera with an EVF. It would be like an M10 with three lenses in one, 35 mm and 50 mm in crop mode. While some cannibalization of M sales and M lenses is inevitable, it won’t appeal the those who love to shoot with an M (not to call it the rangefinder experience) and want more flexibility in choosing lenses. The Q never appealed to some because the use cases are too close to the M which is a pure joy to use. But at the end, Leica will surprise and, I guess, at Photokina. It’s such a high profile event where all manufacturers announce new products.

Purely guessing here, but my bet is S008 to be announced in June at the opening of Leitz Park III. There will be lots of press coverage and they should make use of the marketing opportunity this affords. And that’s why they will also say something about “more opportunities” for the L mount as Dr. Kaufmann mentioned. Make sure they can maximize the publicity impact with whatever new products they can talk about.

Edited by Chaemono

June will be an L mount announcement - I don't buy the medium format, L mount discussed elsewhere.  Not sure what it will be, though.  Nothing more in APS-C, so that leaves 135mm?  Who knows, but it will be interesting.  We may see an SL light, with nice "elegant" form factor - SL2?

Photokina will see a new iteration (more than one?) of the M10 - Monochrom, M10-P and/or M-D versions?  I'd like to think something more exciting than that (EVF version?).

I've skipped the M(246) in all iterations (a blind alley, in my view) and the SL meets all my (colour) digital needs.  I do like the M10 version though - I think it's close to the perfect M.  Will the next versions tempt me?  I have no desire to replace the SL, but an M10 variant just might (not a Monochrom - I like the M9 version).

Then again, I just might enjoy the announcement, and get the popcorn to follow joy, anger and moaning here ...

An EVF-based "M-style" camera with similar ergonomics to the X1D that takes L-mount glass, and with an adapter M-glass. Let's face it, the SL is a beast compared to the M.....I suspect they will try to miniaturize that bad boy somewhat. But realistically, it will probably just be an announcement of more L-glass (probably a 21, 28 and a macro lens....to be available mid-2019)

Edited by jplomley

June will be an L mount announcement - I don't buy the medium format, L mount discussed elsewhere.  Not sure what it will be, though.  Nothing more in APS-C, so that leaves 135mm?  Who knows, but it will be interesting.  We may see an SL light, with nice "elegant" form factor - SL2?

Photokina will see a new iteration (more than one?) of the M10 - Monochrom, M10-P and/or M-D versions?  I'd like to think something more exciting than that (EVF version?).

I've skipped the M(246) in all iterations (a blind alley, in my view) and the SL meets all my (colour) digital needs.  I do like the M10 version though - I think it's close to the perfect M.  Will the next versions tempt me?  I have no desire to replace the SL, but an M10 variant just might (not a Monochrom - I like the M9 version).

Then again, I just might enjoy the announcement, and get the popcorn to follow joy, anger and moaning here ...

Why not a few APS-C lenses?

Why not consider what is popularly considered necessary and move on: the very best camera is defined by realistic limits. Limits, what a concept! Leica owns that niche.

Persons obsessed with comparing Leica tech with the rest are keyboard dreamers. It is unlikely their wishes will make them a better photographer.

I suspect the feature fanatics harbor wishes of magic or bragging rights which are a never-ending downward  spiral to irrelevant minutiae.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Sure but realistic limits does not mean the same for everybody. For me for instance, it is realistic to get a silent shutter with an M as well as any P & S camera. Not only realistic but necessary. YMMV.

• Like 1

Silent shutter as well as many other improvements. 

Leica makes the finest lenses on the market, but camera bodies lag behind Sony ones.

I know, we Leica shooters are so good that we do not need silly things like image stabilization or face recognitions  :p

Nonetheless, in my dreams are a mix of M simplicity and Sony A7 electronics and / or an SL with an A7 inside.

If this is impossible, at least I would like to have usable jpegs. 

And please get rid of brass parts! 

Brass is fine for making faucets, not cameras.