The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Time for a new M to be announced at Photokina?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Fgcm

Fgcm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • City / Ort:Milan

Posted 16 May 2018 - 16:21

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Photokina will open on September 26th. It’s Time to start thinking to the letter to Santa.

What I really hope is a lite M10, with aluminum top and bottom instead of the dumb brass ones. This would cut the weight by 100 grams, giving us the lightest digital M ever.

Not sure if this will happen in September. Lite Ms usually arrive 3 years after the launch of the main model, so, I fear I have to keep waiting.

The clock is ticking for a SL2, which could close the gap with more recent cameras.

Another good question is how long will it take to the Leica tech-team to realize that an EVF M or a Q with interchangeable lens would bring in loads of new customers who would like upgrade to M lenses, but are scared by the rangefinder learning curve.

That said, I’m set to ask to Santa to bring me either the lite M10 or the EVF “M-Q”.

What will you ask to Santa?
  • IkarusJohn, otto.f, tgdinamo and 1 other said thank you

#2 a.noctilux

a.noctilux

Arnaud (I'm just amateur)

• Members
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationMontpellier, Occitanie

Posted 16 May 2018 - 16:38

I have nothing to ask him :P.

I'm happy with what I use now.

I'll take it if the new-will-arrive M fills my future need, and I don't wait for it but enjoy now M10/M-D/M262/etc. each fills different "jobs".

• ianman said thank you to this

#3 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 11,880 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 17:42

There will be an announcement in June (14th?) regarding a new option using the L mount (according to Dr. Kaufmann in a LuLa interview).

I’m hoping that after the June and September events we will learn more about the future of the S system, which would seemingly set the stage for the eventual SL2.

The M10 (and original MM) meet all my M needs. I suspect an M10 Monochrom will come next year as four year cycles seem more the norm now.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S, 16 May 2018 - 17:43.

#4 albertknappmd

albertknappmd

Afficionado

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • City / Ort:New York

Posted 16 May 2018 - 17:44

I look forward to an updated S, the 008, I presume...

Albert  :D  :D  :D

• rosuna said thank you to this

#5 adan

adan

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 7,237 posts
  • City / Ort:Denver

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:23

To some extent, Leica has deprecated photokina, saying they will release products when they are ready, and not according to the schedule of camera shows. Thus the M10 being revealed 3-4 months after photokina 2016.

However, I'm sure if something will be ready-for-prime-time within a few weeks of photokina ±, Leica will make use of that platform for the announcement.

Personally, I have zero interest in anything Leica might announce, except for digital M bodies, where I might jump at an M10M(onochrom). I prefer Mandler-era lenses (color, contrast) over any lens Leica has made in the past 25 years - and I already have them. Although Leica could surprise me. ;) Say, with a 6x6 digital MF camera, or something equally outside the envelope.

• pgk, LotharZhou, ianman and 8 others said thank you

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see." - Edgar Degas

Andy Piper
http://andrewpiperphotography.com/
http://www.coloradoseen.com/

#6 tobey bilek

tobey bilek

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:23

I hope not.  Perfect as is.   I want a plain simple camera. 

Edited by tobey bilek, 16 May 2018 - 20:24.

• pgk said thank you to this

#7 schattenundlicht

schattenundlicht

untitled

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:26

I have nothing to ask him :P.
I'm happy with what I use now.
[...]

+1

:)

#8 Stealth3kpl

Stealth3kpl

Half wit

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:32

50mm Q

Pete

#9 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 51,104 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:36

To some extent, Leica has deprecated photokina, saying they will release products when they are ready, and not according to the schedule of camera shows. Thus the M10 being revealed 3-4 months after photokina 2016.

Which makes it much too soon for any dramatic changes to the M10. maybe an M10P, or any other cosmetic or functional (like monochrom or LCD-less) sidestep, the odd special edition, things like that.

Leica cannot be expected to do an extensive overhaul/update like the "Honey, I've shrunk the Kids" M10 within so short a timespan.

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

If you're not right... turn left.

#10 glacierparkmagazine

glacierparkmagazine

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:40

I'd like to see a base ISO of 64 and longer exposures, but not much, at higher ISOs.

#11 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:42

Nothing but a modern M would interest me so i don't hold my breath but the long-awaited Panasonic LX200 will perhaps be announced at photokina (just a guess) in which case its Leica clone could follow suit for red dot lovers.

#12 luigi bertolotti

luigi bertolotti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 11,968 posts
  • City / Ort:Brescia

Posted 16 May 2018 - 21:21

My M works fine… have any lens I can use… what can arrive from Leica will surely be of interest for me as a brand passionate… not as a user, I think. 

• coupdefoudre and Gobert said thank you to this

#13 jplomley

jplomley

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:23

Would love to see a fixed 15/2.8 wide angle lens, or a 15 SEM. Would be a terrific addition to those using the 21 SEM and want something wider without having to buy the WATE. I'm actually surprised a 15mm has not yet seen the light of day given that this is a FL Voightlander is continuously improving.

----------------------------
Jeff

#14 jmr237

jmr237

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • City / Ort:Los Angeles

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:25

If the past is a guide, my money is on a M10–P in both black paint and silver chrome.
JMR

#15 dkmoore

dkmoore

Neuer Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:31

What other upgrades would they do to justify the M10-P iteration? We don't need a faster buffer or sapphire glass. 

I'm still a sucker and am willing to pay extra for the removal of the red dot...But am curious what they could actually upgrade.

Maybe they will release a video capable version as the M-P?

#16 pico

pico

Sponsoring Canine

• Premium Member
  • 16,634 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • City / Ort:Winona

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:32

The sentiments of many here that the M10 is good enough makes me wonder if Leica is near (not at) its pinnacle M.

Edited by pico, 16 May 2018 - 23:33.

• ronnjay said thank you to this

#17 Michael Geschlecht

Michael Geschlecht

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:37

Hello Everybody,

Perhaps they might develop a new model with a larger magnification range/viewfinder, that had interchangeable sensors that would produce black & white images, regular color images & trans-illuminated images. It should be the dimensions (More or less.) of the current M10 & because of the larger magnification image it could concentrate on frames for lenses from normal thru medium telephoto. Brass top cover & removable brass base plate in order maintain tradition.

Best Regards,

Michael

#18 pico

pico

Sponsoring Canine

• Premium Member
  • 16,634 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • City / Ort:Winona

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:45

Hello Everybody,

Perhaps they might develop a new model with a larger magnification range/viewfinder, that had interchangeable sensors that would produce black & white images, regular color images & trans-illuminated images. It should be the dimensions (More or less.) of the current M10 [...]

You are speaking of Leica's R&D project code named sus volantes, or volantem porcos. The Hermes edition will be edible.

• hkgmatt said thank you to this

#19 Michael Geschlecht

Michael Geschlecht

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:54

You are speaking of Leica's R&D project code named sus volantes, or volantem porcos. The Hermes edition will be edible.

Hello Pico,

That is a thought.

What I was thinking was that: Since it has: 1. A camera body with faster speeds. And 2. A combined range/viewfinder. And: 3. Slow speeds. That it might be logical to call it an "M3". The "M" being in keeping with its predecessor's having been named an "M10". And the "3" because of the 3 categories of things that it has & it can do.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht, 17 May 2018 - 00:05.

• Universalb50 said thank you to this

#20 Chuck Albertson

Chuck Albertson

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 00:03

I want a pony.

• nikau, james.liam, MarkP and 4 others said thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic