The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

M10 and the Nikon 85mm 1.4 ais

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 designdog

designdog

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRichmond VA
  • City / Ort:Richmond, VA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 14:32

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hello. New M10 user here, coming from a Leica Q and M-P240.

To accomplish this, like many of you I suspect, I had to sell other gear - in my case a Nikon D5 and some pretty fine Nikon glass. I did retain my barely used D3s, the Nikon "Trinity" of zoom lenses, the 58 1.4G, and the 85 1.4 ais.

Over the years I have had many 85mm lenses - Zeiss, Nikon 85 1.4G, Sigma Art, etc, but this copy of the infamous "Cream Machine" is something else. I've had nothing like it. Outdated now, and will not focus to infinity, it still produced glorious images.

I see that one can get a Nikon F to Leica M adapter. I wonder if anyone here has tried one of these, and what results did you experience?

Thanks.

#2 Narsuitus

Narsuitus

• Validating
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 14:57

I use a Fotodiox adapter that allows me to attach my wide Nikon lenses (14mm, 18mm, and 16mm fisheye) to my Leica bodies. Since my Nikon lens does not connect to the Leica rangefinder, I used zone focusing. For example, on my 18mm lens, I set the focus distance to 1 meter and the f/stop to f/11 so that everything from about 1/2 meter to infinity is in focus.

On my M10, I can focus using the LCD. However, I have never tried my 85mm f/1.4 dream machine on my M10  or my M6 because I have a Leitz 90mm f/2 that meets my needs on the rangefinders.

30889140070_b712f32fd9_c.jpg

Nikkor on Leica by Narsuitus, on Flickr

#3 petermullett

petermullett

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationSW France, UK & USA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 17:59

Many Nikkor's work very well on the M10/M240 bodies. LV making that happen and the EVF accessory on either camera being almost mandatory for regular usage.

I have the Nikkor 85mm 1.4, and I can confirm that it works well, no issues that I've discovered. Like Narsuitus I use the Fotodiox adapter too. 

#4 Abram

Abram

Monochromatic.

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:13

I got a really good deal on a Novoflex F to M adapter and it's super solid, plus it allows the use of G lenses though I don't have any of those. I have a few Nikkor AIS lenses (that I use on my F4) but they work quite well on the M10 with live view. I mostly just use the 55mm f/2.8 Micro for product photography.

- Abram 

Design / Photography

www.abramgoglanian.com

#5 Csacwp

Csacwp

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 17:40

I use a 105mm f/2.5 ais on the M and SL. It performs exceptionally well.

Edited by Csacwp, 17 May 2018 - 17:42.

#6 Nordvik

Nordvik

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 May 2018 - 19:22

I use a cheap adapter called K&F Concept. 20,- Euro. It was too short for hard stop infinity, so I had to shim it up ca. 0,4mm.

Attached Files

#7 Nordvik

Nordvik

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 May 2018 - 19:25

I sealed it off with some black paint, and that was good enough. It does not look as good as a 380,- Euro Leica R to M adapter though.

Attached Files

#8 Stonewall Brigade

Stonewall Brigade

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:10

I found a mint 1980's era Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 AIS lens for $175 and ordered a Fotodiox Nikon-LM lens mount for $29 off Amazon.  Then went to a motorcycle race with my Leica M10 with ISO set to 800 (to allow for fast shutter speeds due to the racing action), a monopod for stability, and pre-focusing with focus peaking and Live View on a part of the track where I hoped to capture my images, I had surprising good luck.  Would upload an image if I knew how.

Edited by Stonewall Brigade, 18 May 2018 - 04:11.

my photographs: www.triumph.smugmug.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic