Farewell M-P240!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Loved the camera — too much! A big bite from the Leica Bug and I will be replacing my M-P240 with an M10 tomorrow. Going to have the 35 and 50 Summicrons to play with. Big time sale of Nikon equipment, but I knew it was coming.

I was not here long but I enjoyed the company! Thanks!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just traded in my M9 for a new M-P rather than pay the premium for a new M10. Might be a bit of a wait for used M10 prices to come down. Demand remains strong and prices have actually gone up. I dont mind. I'm enjoying the M-P immensely

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just traded in my M9 for a new M-P rather than pay the premium for a new M10. Might be a bit of a wait for used M10 prices to come down. Demand remains strong and prices have actually gone up. I dont mind. I'm enjoying the M-P immensely

I've just bought a second hand M-P240 to work alongside my SL. I do like it and am getting quite addicted to the user experience but the files are nothing like as clean or maleable as those from the SL. The most compelling reason then to move up to the M10 is the quality of the files you will get from that versus the 240. It's most noticeable in the dynamic range, which on the 240 is pretty poor and doesn't seem to be any better than an APS-C camera costing a fraction of the price.

I had an M240 for several months as a loaner camera until my M9 got a new sensor. Now, I use the M9 and I do not have anymore the M240. I would just use whatever you happen to have access to.Changing cameras does not necessarily make you a better photographer, as you know. In the end, it is getting an expensive new toy. My only camera that I have never used is a Linhof large format camera. It sits there on some shelf, waiting to be used by me.

• Like 2

The upgrade to 240 from M9 was a big leap - I'm delighted with it.  But 240 to M10... I'm not seeing much improvement in either the specs or in downloaded files

I'm hoping an eventual M11 will give us some real IQ advancements like 2 - 4 more stops, higher rez & I wouldn't complain if M10's VF came along too.  And if not, 240's still fine with me.  My only real regrets of missed shots could have been captured if I had a handy tripod (which I started traveling with)

• Thanks 1

The upgrade to 240 from M9 was a big leap - I'm delighted with it.  But 240 to M10... I'm not seeing much improvement in either the specs or in downloaded files

I'm hoping an eventual M11 will give us some real IQ advancements like 2 - 4 more stops, higher rez & I wouldn't complain if M10's VF came along too.  And if not, 240's still fine with me.  My only real regrets of missed shots could have been captured if I had a handy tripod (which I started traveling with)

Enjoy the wait. Let me know when the last camera upgrade gave 2-4 stops difference in anything... 1 stop maybe.

Any advancement in sensor is towards keeping the sensor noise low enough so that at higher ISO (low light level) image becomes "usable" (still grainy with low DR). It is important to note that at higher ISO, images will never have the same DR, color accuracy etc. compared to lower ISOs. At lower ISOs, there is very little to gain by sensor advancement (except that you can dig a little more in shadows... but shadows will still be noisy). How often you do that!

This is why I am not too much excited about claimed extra stop at higher ISOs. For me it is good to have and not must have.

Enjoy the wait. Let me know when the last camera upgrade gave 2-4 stops difference in anything... 1 stop maybe.

Correct. M240 gave around 1.5 stop over M9. I have used both extensively. I have downloaded M10's files to play with and I don't see more than 1 stop over M240. Maybe less depending on the subject (when you can be creative with NR).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/23/2018 at 11:43 AM, CropDusterMan said:

I have been so happy with the 240. I will be adding an M10 one day, but am in no hurry. The 240 is wonderful.

I first had an M240 then upgraded to the M-P 240, which I still use.  The M-P 240's doubling of the buffer size alone was worth the cost of the upgrade.  My M240 would get data logjams.  The M-P 240 never has done that.

The M-P 240's Achilles' heel IMO is its maximum ISO of 6400, with ISO 800 or perhaps 1600 being the maximum usable ISO, if you want to make exhibit quality large prints.  The M240 and M-P 240 are still viable cameras, though.

• Like 2