28mm Summicron size question

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently have the 28mm Elmarit and am thinking about upgrading to the 28mm Summicron. If anyone has both the 28mm Summicron and the 35mm Summicron, can you let me know how the 28 Summicron compares to the 35 Summicron in terms of physical size? The specs on Leica and retailer websites are not always helpful because it's not clear if they are measuring from the same points on the lens.

Because I have the 35mm Summicron and hence have a good appreciation for how it handles on the camera, seeing how the 28 and 35 Summicrons compare to each other will help me get a better sense for the size of the 28 than seeing the various 28s compared against each other.

I have 35mm 11879 and 28mm 11606. Recently purchased 28mm 11672 so I have f/2 on my three most used focal lengths. There is rhapsodizing about the 2/28mm's performance (it is very nice), but 11606 is also very good and offers what I feel is superior handling. Both 11879 and 11606, being the previous revs, also have the smaller snap-on hoods, which I much prefer. They have never popped off while in use although I suppose they could. 11672 is not "big", certainly by typical bloated SLR standards; it's a Leica lens after all. But when I mount that Elmarit there is always that 'ah ha' moment.

You're in LA for Pete's sake, should be easy enough to try on a 11672 in a store.

hth,

s-a

• Like 1

You're in LA for Pete's sake, should be easy enough to try on a 11672 in a store.

Very true. I do visit the store from time to time, but it needs to be on weekends, and then it competes with other obligations on my time ...

Very true. I do visit the store from time to time, but it needs to be on weekends, and then it competes with other obligations on my time ...

Do try to do that. One can look at specs all day but nothing is really settled until you have held the choices in hand. Important when 28mm Summicron's price is in play.

s-a

• Like 1

Do try to do that. One can look at specs all day but nothing is really settled until you have held the choices in hand. Important when 28mm Summicron's price is in play.

s-a

Agreed.

Whilst they are quite similar in dimensions, the handling feels quite different to me. I like them both, but there's only one way to find out, as you say.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have the Summicron-M 28mm for a while and the big hood is the main no-no.

Used without hood the Cron 28mm is less flare prone than Cron 35mm asph. that I had.

So if hood is always used on the lens, this may be the big difference with the Summicron-M 35mm you have.

Don't let a vulgar hood break your deal ;). Smaller hoods than the stock 28/2 v1's are available fortunately. That of the 35/1.4 asph pre-FLE is the better compromise. It is just a couple millimeters taller than that of the 28/2 v2.

Edited by lct

I use the aftermarket (read 'cheap') vented hood for 28cron. The original plastic one is left in the box. I have shot without hood as well and there is not much difference with hood for flare (which I don't notice). What I do notice is purple blob in shadows with Sun in the frame and here hood doesn't make a difference.

For me the purpose of the hood is only to protect the lens from bumps and touching front element with finger (I don't use filter).