meerec

Firmware bug: changing ISO with flash attached

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone noticed this? When a flash is attached in the hotshoe, going into ISO settings and changing to any value doesn’t get updated on the screen. You turn the wheel to change the setting, and display stays on as if the action wasn’t allowed. When you exit and return to ISO screen, it is actually updated by the number of clicks you did. The flash must be on of course.

On a more general note, I keep finding little bugs like this above, is there a central location where to upload comments of bugs found for Leica to address?

Edited by meerec

Which flash?

I'm not getting this with Leica TTL flashes.

I do if I put a Nikon pin flash or trigger on the shoe. That's a compatibility issue where the different protocols are confusing the camera, not a bug. That's what happens when the pins line up but the protocols are different.

Gordon

Has anyone noticed this? When a flash is attached in the hotshoe, going into ISO settings and changing to any value doesn’t get updated on the screen. You turn the wheel to change the setting, and display stays on as if the action wasn’t allowed. When you exit and return to ISO screen, it is actually updated by the number of clicks you did. The flash must be on of course.

On a more general note, I keep finding little bugs like this above, is there a central location where to upload comments of bugs found for Leica to address?

Is it the SF64? I do have buggy behaviour with it but not that. Yet.

I have issues with it changing settings after switching off and on the flash. Settings will sometimes comes back after a while (it might have been triggered with a touch of the shutter button). Sometimes it goes to full manual, full power mode, full whimsical mode I think.

It also slows down the SL considerably.

Sometimes the red af assist light comes on suddenly and just stays lit. The battery compartment cover is broke too.

V1.1 firmware. I don't think there's a later version.

I'm a little grieved over it. It could be just my flash.

Which flash?

I'm not getting this with Leica TTL flashes.

I do if I put a Nikon pin flash or trigger on the shoe. That's a compatibility issue where the different protocols are confusing the camera, not a bug. That's what happens when the pins line up but the protocols are different.

Gordon

Thanks thats helpful. I might have befuddled my SL with my prior use of a Canon flash on auto flash. This was before I got a SF64.

It’s the Profoto A1 flash Nikon pins version.

So it seems even if Nikon version is used there are some issues like this one.

Otherwise, the A1 works flawlessly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it the SF64? I do have buggy behaviour with it but not that. Yet.

I have issues with it changing settings after switching off and on the flash. Settings will sometimes comes back after a while (it might have been triggered with a touch of the shutter button). Sometimes it goes to full manual, full power mode, full whimsical mode I think.

It also slows down the SL considerably.

Sometimes the red af assist light comes on suddenly and just stays lit. The battery compartment cover is broke too.

V1.1 firmware. I don't think there's a later version.

I'm a little grieved over it. It could be just my flash.

I'm currently in the process of getting my SF64 swapped out. Really happy they're switching to Nissin although we'll lose a few things. The Metz built units are rubbish and have Metz quality has been slipping for years. Godox and Nissin are better built.

The slow down is common with mirrorless cameras because there's no extra sensors to do flash exposure etc. Everything is read off the sensor. Same reason they are less accurate at fill flash. As the sensor refresh rates improve so will this.

With the SF64 there's an easy way to speed things up. Put the flash in auto. You'll still get ISO and zoom passed through. The flash will still automatically calculate exposure. It'll just do it through the sensor off the flash rather than reading off the camera sensor. You'll lose FEC (I think. I don't have mine back yet) but the performance goes back to normal.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

It’s the Profoto A1 flash Nikon pins version.

So it seems even if Nikon version is used there are some issues like this one.

Otherwise, the A1 works flawlessly.

That is correct as I too have the Profoto A1 in the Nikon version. This ISO selecting issue was also on the previous firmware 3.1.

That is correct as I too have the Profoto A1 in the Nikon version. This ISO selecting issue was also on the previous firmware 3.1.

Most guns and triggers with Nikon pins will have this issue. I have this with both Godox and Nissin triggers and Nissin hotshoe units. It's not a bug. Leica don't code so their flashes will be issue free with Nikon compatible gear.

If it annoys then a simple fix is to add a pass through shoe. The old single pin ones work well. Or tape a couple of the TTL pins.

Gordon

Most guns and triggers with Nikon pins will have this issue. I have this with both Godox and Nissin triggers and Nissin hotshoe units. It's not a bug. Leica don't code so their flashes will be issue free with Nikon compatible gear.

If it annoys then a simple fix is to add a pass through shoe. The old single pin ones work well. Or tape a couple of the TTL pins.

Gordon

It’s not a biggie. There’s a workaround—simply count the number of clicks as you turn the ISO dial. Hahaha

I'm currently in the process of getting my SF64 swapped out. Really happy they're switching to Nissin although we'll lose a few things. The Metz built units are rubbish and have Metz quality has been slipping for years. Godox and Nissin are better built.

The slow down is common with mirrorless cameras because there's no extra sensors to do flash exposure etc. Everything is read off the sensor. Same reason they are less accurate at fill flash. As the sensor refresh rates improve so will this.

With the SF64 there's an easy way to speed things up. Put the flash in auto. You'll still get ISO and zoom passed through. The flash will still automatically calculate exposure. It'll just do it through the sensor off the flash rather than reading off the camera sensor. You'll lose FEC (I think. I don't have mine back yet) but the performance goes back to normal.

Gordon

Thanks, Gordon, for the tips again.

You're right. No flash exposure compensation. No aperture overriding (at least the old school auto allows over and under exposure with a quick flick of the aperture). For fill, as you suggest, I will use auto as it's quick and relatively safer in fast moving scenarios.

I had decided to work up my manual skills that Ramarren suggested, as that's one of his preferred methods. Difficult to adjust quickly because of the accursed soft buttons 

but manual flash has its charms. I have been adjusting the angle of a bounce fill card to tune my flash exposures by memory. 

I'm tempted by the A1 but it has no auto. And mereec's experience gives me pause. It would have been nice to add it to my profoto. Hope the Nissin works out.