Printer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We have a couple of companies selling alternative ink sets here in the uk. The sales pitch is focused on how much money you can save or at least that’s my interpretation. Jon Cone ink sets are more focused on quality of print and have been very successfull, especially his set for Black and White printing.I have always thought that people buy the Cone ink sets to obtain better quality, not save money.

What we have to remember is we all have differant needs.The professional is offering a product which has to be priced competativly.

Edited by Guest

Cone’s Piezography is clearly a system for black and white print enthusiasts seeking special qualities. Cone also, however, markets inks for Epson machines to replace its color and black inks. He stands by the quality, and emphasizes lower cost, less ink waste and environmental issues (and available profiles). My comments above refer to the latter, not Piezo, which has a long history vis a vis Epson (including legal).

http://www.conecolor.com/

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff, do you mean the ConeColor Pro HD which seems to work with the P600/P800 ?  Have you tried them ? Profiles are also available for other brands but I'm asking for recommendations and user experiences all along rather than trying to push on or the other. I don't know, hence the questions!  :)

Brian, I would like to take up your offer of sending me the IP user manual. I know it is for IP 10 but it would give me a good insight into IP.

Something to read while waiting to get printer. I am not sure how we set this up. Do I tap on your name and tap send me a message.

Bit out of my depth on this. There is no hurry for this, as and when is fine.

Thanks.

Mike.

Jeff, do you mean the ConeColor Pro HD which seems to work with the P600/P800 ? Have you tried them ? Profiles are also available for other brands but I'm asking for recommendations and user experiences all along rather than trying to push on or the other. I don't know, hence the questions! :)

These... https://shop.inkjetmall.com/Shop-By-Printer/ConeColor-Pro-inks-and-carts-P800/

I don’t use them, but know others who use Cone color and/or Cone’s Piezography with success in various other Epson machines. Can’t give you feedback for the use in the P800, nor personal experience since I use stock Epson inks with ImagePrint. I also use the IP profiles (that include access to many more papers), so no need to use Cone’s, although I trust that his are excellent. Not all profiles are created equally.

Jeff

• Like 1

Not all profiles are created equally.

Indeed. Top quality profiles are I understand one of the major advantages of IP.

Those are the inks I found too. It would seem that only North American printers suffer from the issue you mentioned a few posts earlier. I guess Epson don't lock their printers in the EU because it could well be illegal here... and Epson (and others) are already in the sights of the EU because of programmed obsolescence.

Are there any reviews of the Epson P800 vs the P5000?

I haven't been able to find any, although there are some extensive reviews of the P5000, notably one on www.northlight-images.co.uk.

Northlight is always a great source. Of course they’ve reviewed both the P800 (and its 3880 predecessor) as well as the P5000 (and its 4900 predecessor). Parts of the P5000 review make comparisons to the P800, but only casually, particularly the obvious distinction of the extra two color inks, orange and green....

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/review-epson-p5000-printer/

Hopefully the P5000 solved the well known head clog issues of the 4900. Otherwise many of the differences between the 5000 and 800 are the same as those between the 4900 and 3880... two additional inks, 200ml vs 80 ml cartridges, bigger and more robust industrial quality machines (forgetting the clogs), including roll paper use, etc. They are both 17 inch printers, but the 4900/5000 is a bigger beast.

Mark Segal also does a great job on printer reviews at LuLa. His 4900 review made comparisons to the 3880, the predecessors to the 5000 / 800....

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-epson-4900-printer-hands-on-and-down-to-work/

Jeff

Guest Nowhereman

Jeff, thanks. My interest in the P5000 is rather specific. I bought a 3880 and wanted to make several series of 12x18 inch prints on 13 x 19 inch paper. The problem is that some 50% of prints I tried making had an issue with the sheet paper feed on the last inch or so of the paper. The effect was that the trailing edge of the print sometimes produced an angular offset on the print, or a smudge. 

Epson was very good. The first time, they sent a reconditioned printer: same problem; then they sent another new printer: same problem again. The third time they wanted to send still another new printer, but I asked for a refund, which they gave me. In the end I thought that the problem probably came from the flimsy design if the 3880 feed mechanism, aggravated by the hot and humid July and August climate of Washington, DC. Had I printed with, say, a one-inch instead of half-inch margin this probably would not have been a problem.

I was interested in the 4900 because of its more robust feed mechanism, but was put off by the reported propensity of that printer to clog. I suspect that the P5000 has solved the clogging problems of the 4900...

Jeff, thanks. My interest in the P5000 is rather specific. I bought a 3880 and wanted to make several series of 12x18 inch prints on 13 x 19 inch paper. The problem is that some 50% of prints I tried making had an issue with the sheet paper feed on the last inch or so of the paper. The effect was that the trailing edge of the print sometimes produced an angular offset on the print, or a smudge.

Epson was very good. The first time, they sent a reconditioned printer: same problem; then they sent another new printer: same problem again. The third time they wanted to send still another new printer, but I asked for a refund, which they gave me. In the end I thought that the problem probably came from the flimsy design if the 3880 feed mechanism, aggravated by the hot and humid July and August climate of Washington, DC. Had I printed with, say, a one-inch instead of half-inch margin this probably would not have been a problem.

I was interested in the 4900 because of its more robust feed mechanism, but was put off by the reported propensity of that printer to clog. I suspect that the P5000 has solved the clogging problems of the 4900...

We posted at the same time.... see additional LuLa review.

I owned the 3800 for 6 years and solved the ‘bleeding edge’ issues in several ways.... one, keep margins wider if possible. And try to eliminate paper curling before inserting. Most importantly, I began using the front feed for most print needs, especially finicky papers. I rarely had an issue after.

Now, the P800 front feed mechanism is even better. And IP ensures that the printer settings such as platen gap, and feed instructions, are optimized for each paper.

Feed mechanisms can be an Achilles heel for printers, even expensive ones. I’m glad Epson has made some improvements, but many machines still require attention and careful user practices.

Remember that each printer has several feed options. Choose the one that suits best. And experiment with papers.... there are some marvelous options these days. I gave up using Hahnemuhle, substituting Canson and others, in part due to paper handling.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest Nowhereman

Yes, I tried front feed as well. I think humidity was the major factor. Larger margins would have solved the problem, but I needed ½-inch margins. Larger sheets and trimming could have been another possibility.

Not sure if this is the same problem but when I first set up my P 800 I connected it using USB with a cable about 9 foot long (6ft plus 4 ft extension) The Printer is in a differant room. The last 1.5 centimetre when making a borderless print became faded and blotchy. Introducing a border cured the problem. Shortly after I visited a trade show and spoke to an Epson guy who reccomended not using USB over 1.8 metres,and set up using an Eathernet cat 6 cable.problem solved.

...surecolor P600 or P800. I believe that both these machines are good mono printers.

I print black and white on a P800 with great satisfaction, for example, a print of the image below. I use Epson inks, not printing enough volume to justify the travails of third-party ink. Method is either an ICC profile for the paper or the very good Epson Advanced B&W mode.

M240, Summilux 35 pre-asph at f/4:

40726726664_a951571bc4_o_d.jpg