Printer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to upgrade my epson printer. It is an XP 750 which has been very reliable but does not do mono very well and A3 would be handy. I am looking at surecolor P600 or P800. I believe that both these machines are good mono printers. Do any forum members have experience with these machines, especially as regards reliabilty.

The P800 would be a tight fit in my workspace, but could just about manage. Headroom is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike.

I've had the P800 something over a year with no problems.

I have a similar problem of workspace and headroom. Remember that the printer is wifi enabled so, even though it is heavy, you could temporarily put it on a table elsewhere for printing - it doesn't have to sit next to your PC.

The printers are very similar in size. But I chose the P800 for its print size flexibility (17 inch vs 13 inch) and for its much more economical ink cartridges (80ml vs 25.9ml), which is where the costs run up. And if one uses roll paper (I don’t), the mechanism is more robust. I’ve had no problems with it, nor for my former 3800. But the P800 is better.

Be sure to check for both retailer and Epson promo discounts (check website), as these are frequently discounted. The money for them is in the inks, not the machines.

I’ve written ad nauseam about my additional preference for using ImagePrint 10 in lieu of the Epson driver, so I won’t expound here.

Jeff

Thanks for that suggestion Paul. Since making the post I had thought of arranging some sort of temporary table I could pull it out onto.

It will sit on a shelf 26 inch above floor with 17.5 inches headroom to shelf above. I suppose the headroom will only come into play depending on how I print. Not sure about its paper feed etc method.

Mike.

FWIW, mine sits on a shelf with just under 47cm/18.5" headroom - manageable with A3 front feed with care but not A3+, and I avoid feeding A3 paper from the top. I think A3 prints in your space would not be practicable, whichever the feed.

Ink costs were also why I chose the P800 over the P600.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the p800 for close on 2 years and it is very good. Far cheaper to run than the P600 and if you factor in the extra ink you get with the P800 not all that more costly to buy. If it physically will not fit no point in considering it further,however if it means that you can not use the ability to print A2 or A3 +, I would still go for the P800 and take advantage of lower ink costs.The printer has a better build quality than the P600 and its 2 predecessors where great performers.Mine is situated in a differant room than my work station but on the recommendation of Epson I have it connected with an Ethernet cable. If you do go for the P800 I would definitely buy Image Print 10. Worth every penny. It’s expensive ,it’s very good and like many other things on this world you can get cheaper similar products.

Thanks for comments so far. I am leaning towards P800. I have realised that I could lift all my shelfs to give enough headromm.

Downside I will have tommove an awful lot of LPs while I do it, but it is an option.

I have looked at image print on net and as I am only used to printing from LR print module I find it a bit intimidating. Some terminology I do not understand. I may be able to get help from my local photo club.

Is it ok for mono printing. This is my main reason for buying P800.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Yes, my favorite printing is b/w. IP 10 includes gray scale profiles for all papers. George DeWolfe, a noted printer, long ago tested various b/w print methodologies including Piezography and QTR, Epson ABW, etc, and ultimately decided on IP as his preferred workflow.

As I’ve written many times, the most important tools are between the ears... a good eye and good judgment. Anyone can buy gear and learn techniques. Learning when, where and to what degree to use those skills and techniques is crucial. Otherwise we’d each produce the same results. Some do a lot with a little, and some produce mediocre results with expensive tools. Weston used a bare bulb.

But IP is a great tool to have. Continuous soft proofing, profiles for virtually all papers (and different lighting), foolproof color management and printer settings, etc. Color and b/w.

BTW, you can download a trial version (albeit with copyright stamp across print).. .and company reps are helpful answering questions.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff, your comments are very true. My other hobby is model engineering. I have friends who rush out and buy the very latest equipment.

Their output is shall we say average. Other friends work almost from the kitchen table and produce excellent results.

With regard to image print I see it has two versions. Red and black. Red is called entry level. I wonder if this would be my best way in.

There are two prices quoted. One for 17inch and one for 24 inch. Which do I need for P800. I am assuming 24 inch.

Thanks.

Mike.

Jeff, your comments are very true. My other hobby is model engineering. I have friends who rush out and buy the very latest equipment.

Their output is shall we say average. Other friends work almost from the kitchen table and produce excellent results.

With regard to image print I see it has two versions. Red and black. Red is called entry level. I wonder if this would be my best way in.

There are two prices quoted. One for 17inch and one for 24 inch. Which do I need for P800. I am assuming 24 inch.

Thanks.

Mike.

No, the P800 is a 17 inch printer, with ability to print up to 17 inch paper on one side (and much longer on the other). The P600 allows only up to 13” paper, which is why I didn’t recommend it. You’ll appreciate the flexibility, and the machine is hardly any bigger. Trust me, you can’t fit a 24” machine, which is a beast and comes shipped on its own wooden pallet!

I bought IP 10, which was the latest iteration at the time. This R.E.D / BLACK thing just came forth recently. You’ll want the full version with profiles, etc.... guess that’s BLACK. I suggest you call their customer service to answer all questions... they’re very helpful.

BTW, it’s easy to set up IP as an external editor to LR, so you get there in a click, and then can easily exit and return to LR.

You may want to hold off on IP and first just see how you get along with the P800. Results can still be superb, per my earlier point. But things are easier and more efficient with IP IMO, with the benefit of terrific profiles (custom profiling gear costs about double the price of IP).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Thanks again Jeff. Sound advice.

One point has come to me. Will the P800 be any good for document print or should I try find space for my xp 750.

I only print the occasional letter for domestic use, not business so does not need to be top quality. I have epson 700 scanner so do not need xp 750 for that.

Applogies for bombarding you with so many questions but appreciate your help.

Mike.

I would like to upgrade my epson printer. It is an XP 750 which has been very reliable but does not do mono very well and A3 would be handy. I am looking at surecolor P600 or P800. I believe that both these machines are good mono printers. Do any forum members have experience with these machines, especially as regards reliabilty.

The P800 would be a tight fit in my workspace, but could just about manage. Headroom is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike.

As you are in the UK, try FotoSpeed for a quote on the P600 or P800 with the FotoSpeed Inkflow system.  Fotospeed inks are much more cost effective than Epson inks and FotoSpeed will provide you with free custom profiles if you use Epson or Hannemuhle papers with FotoSpeed inks.

Unless you need A2 for the larger print size or flexibility of mixed size layouts on the sheet or roll, then the P600/Inflow option is much cheaper and great value.  Colour and black and white output is equally impressive with either printer.

Edited by Ouroboros

Hello Mike

Jeff gave me pretty much the same advice when I upgraded to a P800 and IP 10 and he really does now his stuff.I have nothing more to add to avoid making your decision more difficult. However if you wanted a chat on the phone just PM me,it would not be any trouble. It’s a pity you are not closer as I could let you have a hands on with mine. I got my hands on a P 800 when it was launched at a Calumet open day here in Manchester and was able to talk to the Epson rep which was very useful.There is lots of information on these products on the Luminous Landscape web site. Well worth $1a month for access to a mine of very good information.

Thank you Brian for your offer. I will bear that in mind. A chat on the phone can be very helpful. I will more than likely go down the P800 route and get to know it before installing IP. I feel a little out of my depth but with help offered I am sure I will get there.

I can not seem to find a downloadable user maunual. Many of the pointers to IP come up page not available. I do subscribe to LL so will have a look on their site.

Thanks.

Mike.

IP did have short video tutorials, but I suspect that the company (Colorbyte) might be revising their user materials as they introduce the newly named Red/Black products. I would call or write customer service to see what’s happening and to get the latest if and when you’re ready.

I’m no computer nerd, so if I can do it, so can you. I have a friend who helps me when I get into the weeds on difficult computer issues, but I didn’t need any assistance setting up the P800 or installing IP. I had one issue regarding my internet connection and the customer service tech patiently walked me through the solution while I was on the phone.

BTW, here’s an old video on installing the P800...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8etzoAtxs

Jeff

I spoke with IP support....

IP Black is their name for IP 11. Phone support technically lasts for a year once you’re on the new version. (I’ve had IP 10 for over 2 years, and they’ve never refused help). It will cost about 300 bucks if I want to upgrade. I’ll wait to see if there are any significant benefits; otherwise I own the software as is.

The old videos are on their YouTube channel, and are in the process of being updated along with other user materials for the new version...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3LMq4gT4-Q-iFtdYoh-4NQ

Jeff