INFRARED-Image-Thread

RK+Q

This is such fantastic stuff; I am so very intrigued by and grateful for your discoveries. For reasons known only to the same computer god that caused you such distress, I cannot upload any presets right now on either one of my versions of Lightroom or in Photoshop! I am completely stymied by this. Once I can figure out the cause of my troubles, I so look forward to trying this. thanks so very much.

P.S. Μηδὲν ἄγαν: Aristotle? 

Thank you Ken! 

Μηδὲν ἄγαν: Its a pre-Socratic one, from the temple of Apollo at Delphi. Similar to "Παν Μέτρον Άριστον" from Kleovoulos of Lindos.. 

Sorry for being completely out of topic!!

Edited by zampelis

• 2 months later...

Kodak HIE (High Speed Infrared) film rendering applied to cropped Q image.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Kodak HIE (High Speed Infrared) film rendering applied to cropped Q image.

attachicon.gifL1000319_DxO.jpg

You joined our group after we had our big IR explosion, so you didn't know about all the IR filters we've been experimenting with that produce "real" IR. Of course, I believe it was also Pete who also pointed out that there's a hotspot on the Q's lens that prevents the kind of total IR presentation that some Leica (and many other) lenses provide. That can, I believe, be partly fixed by Photoshop, which I somewhat did with my photo, even though that's sort of cheating. Anyway, look back over our thread for discussion about the tips of IR filters you can get and apply (also best shutter speed, etc). Looking forward to your contributions!

• Like 3

But I am pretty sure that polarising filters have no effect in the infrared spectrum.

Yes and no. IR light will pass a polarizing filter without hindrance. But, as the filter stops part of the visible light, the relative amount of IR light will increase.

Quite. Black foliage in infrared??

You gentlemen are correct - it makes sense to keep this a pure IR thread so that photo does not belong here. By the way, the infrared film emulation was applied as I originally stated, but I also applied additional post processing which took the photo completely out of IR domain.

• 2 months later...

My first effort at infrared. I shoot the TL/TL2 and just converted a Leica T to infrared with super color. A walk around my Florida neighborhood gave me a first chance to play. So much to learn. This was edited in Topaz Studio. I channel swapped, then masked to isolate the color on the egret. 

Edited by WinnowingFan
typo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, WinnowingFan said:

My first effort at infrared. I shoot the TL/TL2 and just converted a Leica T to infrared with super color. A walk around my Florida neighborhood gave me a first chance to play. So much to learn. This was edited in Topaz Studio. I channel swapped, then masked to isolate the color on the egret. 

A beautiful result. Congratulations! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Triebseer Damm / Stralsund
F11  |  15 sec.  |  ISO 100

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried a Hoya R72 on my Leica Q P, my first attempt. A hot spot was noticeable on some images on areas of little detail but could be modified in post. With this image there was merely some loss of contrast in an area of tree leaves after monochrome conversion which was easily remedied.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that in aperture mode, the camera chose a shutter speed of 60 secs which was about right at ISO 100 and f 5.6. Focusing was possible with live view and the R72 in place. 'Ghosts' of people are visible at the end of the bridge.

Post processing was in Photoshop using the infrared preset in channel mixer together with tonal adjustment in Lightroom.

As an inexpensive way of trying infrared digital photography, I felt it was successful.

Edited by jwillyf
Addition of text
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jwillyf said:

the camera chose a shutter speed of 60 secs which was about right at ISO 100 and f 5.6.

Those clouds must have been fairly whizzing past!  Nice picture and there's no obvious hot spot that I can see at f/5.6.

Pete.