INFRARED-Image-Thread

RK+Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Zampelis,

An idea for you since your exploring infrared with the Q, you might consider acquiring an infrared light source (torch) and playing around with that at night and for infill during the day.  It's likely to be hit-and-miss since you won't be able to see where you're pointing it (unless you're wearing James Bond goggles  :D) but they used to be available at that online auction site fairly cheaply because there's a large market for them for enhancing infrared security cameras and CCTV.

Pete.

Thanks for the advice Farnz.. That sound very interesting I will definitely have a look on that! 

I have modest experience in IR, and mainly looked to its ability to see through mist, fog, heavy UV that really messes up what we can see. I have already posted one example of haze cutting and hope to rephotograph the scene in 4x5". Mobility issues hinder that goal, but I hope others here pursue somethings similar.

Aside: I happen to have a lot of infrared flashbulbs. They produce an awesome amount of light, and truly IR - we cannot see when they fire.

By chance I also have about 150 sheets of Kodak's very last batch of 4x5" High Speed Infrared, frozen, but I have to suspect it is dead, fogged maybe due to what, cosmic rays, useless, so it remains in the freezer, pissing-off my mate when she's looking for just a little more room in there. "Honey?", she asks kindly, "would ye consider getting your own freezer?" Silly, she knows I'm a minimalist! Heck, I move the film to the outside shed in winter, and I remind her only to get this, "So why donecha move yerself with the film out dere. Yer both expired ain't cha"? (Ya gotta imagine an Irish lady who has been commingled with Minnesota accents.) She wonders why I laugh so often.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

I've used both 720 nm and 850 nm IR-pass filters (and others) and I've always found the contrast available from 850 nm is beyond what's available with a 720 nm filter.  I don't do 'faux-infrared' with channel swapping and I prefer the stark whites of foliage, which is probably why 'black' 850 nm filters appeal to me more than 'deep red' 720 nm.  I doubt, for instance, that I could have taken the picture below with a 720 nm filter.

(I continue to apologise for posting M8 pictures in a Q thread but it's in support of the wider IR theme that this thread has developed into - and I don't have a Q.)

Pete.

York, May 2018.

attachicon.gifWhite House IR.jpg

M8 and 21/2.8 Kobalux with Singh-Ray I-Ray 850 nm filter

thanks so much for this, Pete, and please don't apologize about non-Q photos: they (you) are an inspiration. BTW, just happened to have ordered an 850 last night. A real cheapie, so maybe just an experiment.

• Like 2

I've used both 720 nm and 850 nm IR-pass filters (and others) and I've always found the contrast available from 850 nm is beyond what's available with a 720 nm filter. I don't do 'faux-infrared' with channel swapping and I prefer the stark whites of foliage, which is probably why 'black' 850 nm filters appeal to me more than 'deep red' 720 nm. I doubt, for instance, that I could have taken the picture below with a 720 nm filter.

(I continue to apologise for posting M8 pictures in a Q thread but it's in support of the wider IR theme that this thread has developed into - and I don't have a Q.)

Pete.

York, May 2018.

White House IR.jpg

M8 and 21/2.8 Kobalux with Singh-Ray I-Ray 850 nm filter

Excellent Pete. I have put up a question on useable (no-hot-spot) lenses for ir-shooting with the m8 on the m8 thread https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/98926-lenses-for-infrared-photography-with-m8/?do=findComment&comment=3524878, perhaps y can add som of your experiences? Edited by helged
  • Like 1

can you see the person on the far right of the pier walking in this 30 second time lapse? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I'd say the hotspot is present, took a couple this afternoon, cold brisk late autumn day, 720Nm filter, used f8, ISO1600.

The perfectionist would not be happy with the hot-spot, but right now the ability to do "sorta-infra red" at the screw of a filter is pleasing enough. I'll try differing apertures at some stage, just to see if this has any influence.

Gary

• Like 5

And a regularly shot subject of mine (if you've seen it before it will be in the I like film thread).

With and without I/R treatment.

Gary

• Like 4

I love IR, shot it with the M8 using a filter, then I had an old M8 converted (pain in the bottom to do apparently). I have also just sent off my Leica T to be converted by ACS. The current prices on used T's means it is relatively cheap to have a converted Leica.

The benefit of having a camera converted is that you can shoot at normal speeds, ISO & F-stop without the need for a tripod.

I also niticed a weak hot-spot (only in some situations), but it don´t disturbs me because i use only black&white pictures and in post pruduction i remove it with the anti-vignetting-settings in PS.

TREE

f8 | 1,6 sec | ISO 400 | HOYA R72

• Like 11

Thanks for this thread. I have a filter on order to try for my Q. I have a T that I did the conversion on, but curious to see how the Q does with just screw on filter. If it has a hot spot, I don’t think is anything worth worrying about because most of these photos you don’t see it. And, it isn’t like you are burning thru and waisting infrared film, so why not with an inexpensive filter?

• Like 2

2 studies of a captain's tower using my new 850 mn IR filter

• Like 6

Here is one from streets of NYC, with IR "filter" applied in PP (DxO Photolab)

Edited by tgdinamo
  • Like 2

Here is one from Morristown, NJ with the same software IR filter applied.

• Like 3

And one more from Morristown, NJ. Curious how different this would look with real physical IR filter (so I have one ordered).

• Like 2

this is an 850nm IR shot, converted sensor camera not with a filter on top [not a Leica, just for reference :)]

dead fish skin, surreal eyes

Curious how different this would look with real physical IR filter (so I have one ordered).

Here is one from streets of NYC, with IR "filter" applied in PP (DxO Photolab)

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 5