R-zoom lens opinions

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking to get an R Adapter M for my M10 to use with a few R lenses I own.

Recently saw an Angenieux 35-70 for a modest price and I'm considering one of the smaller zooms as well.

Any recommendations/experiences? 

Thanks in advance.

The R 35-70 f/4 with macro is not expensive. It is a comparatively modest zoom range and f/4 will not give you much of the currently overhyped bokeh aka blurry background. But what you do get is superb build quality, compact size and really really good optics.

• Like 1

On the few occasions when I want to go out with a zoom rather than a couple of primes, I find my R 35-70/4 to be excellent. It's not expensive (for Leica), it's compact, relatively light, the macro setting can be very useful, and the IQ is very good indeed. It will even produce some gentle bokeh on occasion. My only problem with it, as with most zooms, is that if I want to focus, my fingers always seem to be on the zoom ring, and vice versa.  :)

• Like 1

Seems like many kudos for the 35-70/4. They are indeed modestly priced. No one with experience on the Angenieux?

I hadn't considered the 21-35 but I have a MATE and an SEM so I have that range covered, with 50mm thrown in.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seems like many kudos for the 35-70/4. They are indeed modestly priced. No one with experience on the Angenieux?

I hadn't considered the 21-35 but I have a MATE and an SEM so I have that range covered, with 50mm thrown in.

There's a member who uses the Angenieux and has posted some stunning shots taken by it in the T and CL picture forums.

I'm still using my 28-90 R on the SL with stellar results.

Mark, since all 28-90 R lenses had ROM, is that information transmitted to the SL body? And which adapter are you using? In other words, is autofocus the only thing you lose when using the 28-90? I am asking because I am tempted to go down that route as well (I already own the 28-90).

Cheers, Andy

So why did you part with it.

I'm still using my 28-90 R on the SL with stellar results.

Haven't yet bought the 24-90 SL

I had lenses for almost every imaginable scenario, incl. the 24-90 SL for all-round use. And in reality I am just as happy with 24/35mm M-lenses in the bag as I am with the 21-35mm zoom. So it was time for simplification, freeing up cabinet space and cash.