Which 21mm to pick? (Besides SEM)

rontool

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm currently looking at a few different 21mm lenses, and I shoot a mixture of digital and film. I have a M10 and a M3. I am currently between the Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8, the Voigtlander 21mm f1.8, and a converted Contax G 21mm f2.8. Anyone who's used all three of them, or at least 2, and how do they compare to the legendary SEM?

I am using both for digital and film the Cosina-Voigtlander 21/1.8 lens. It's a gem and in an affordable price range for this FL. The only issue it has is its fixed lens hood which makes it cumbersome to use with larger diameter filters or square ND filters for example. 

• Like 1

I'm currently looking at a few different 21mm lenses, and I shoot a mixture of digital and film. I have a M10 and a M3. I am currently between the Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8, the Voigtlander 21mm f1.8, and a converted Contax G 21mm f2.8. Anyone who's used all three of them, or at least 2, and how do they compare to the legendary SEM?

I use Zeiss 21/2.8 and I’m happy with the results. However it is nearly impossible to use it with a screw in filter as you’ll see heavy vignetting.

SEM is of course a "modern" lens… so you have imho 2 alternatives : 

- Search for more aperture to achieve effects you don't have with a 3,4 : so, Cosina Voigt or (if you don't care of money) the big and heavy Summilux

- Search for "old taste" : so another 3,4 (Super Angulon, great lens) or even one of the first breed of 21s (Zeiss Biogon or Nikkor f 4,5, both not so common and with adapters to be found…), or even the Russar 20mm... ;)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I am using both for digital and film the Cosina-Voigtlander 21/1.8 lens. It's a gem and in an affordable price range for this FL. The only issue it has is its fixed lens hood which makes it cumbersome to use with larger diameter filters or square ND filters for example.

How huge is it in real life and street walk? I only have Ultron 28 1.9 ASPH and while it is huge it is still bearable. I have done long walks with it.

I used to have the 21 SEM, and now have the WATE and the Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8.  All great lenses but right now I am loving the Voigtlander - fantastic results and can shoot in much lower light.  If I had the SEM instead of the Voigtlander I would still feel that I needed something faster, but that's me - I shoot a lot on lower light.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot with the M10, M6, and Contax G1.

I use the 21mm f/1.4 on the M10 and M6.

I use the 21mm f/2.8 on the Contax G1.

Both are excellent lenses.

I cannot compare them to the legendary SEM because I have not idea what the SEM is.

25504527478_9a0855f2c6_c.jpg

35mm Rangefinders by Narsuitus, on Flickr

• Like 1

I have the 21 1.4 and I think it is a very special lens

I use it mostly on the SL, but also on the M (246 in my case) it is very usable. Yes, it is heavy, but the weight seems to be concentrated on the part closer to the body so it is quite balanced

Around 5.6 to 8 it is perfectly fine to use for sharper needs, but you have the option to open it up to use for portraits, low light etc

Dont see them 2nd hand often, but when you do prices are comparatively quite low vs to more popular lenses 2nd hand (35 FLE etc)

Dont see them 2nd hand often, but when you do prices are comparatively quite low vs to more popular lenses 2nd hand (35 FLE etc)

Actually no; around US$4k for both. Perhaps a hair more for the 35 FLE but then, there's a greater demand for the latter.

In the "none of the above" department, I love the CV 21/4.

Great and affordable lens for M-mount, agreed. But I had to go with the faster CV21/1.8 version since the f/4 version is known to have culprits on Sony A7 MLC sensors (I use my M lenses on both M- and E-mount systems). 

SEM is of course a "modern" lens… so you have imho 2 alternatives : 

- Search for more aperture to achieve effects you don't have with a 3,4 : so, Cosina Voigt or (if you don't care of money) the big and heavy Summilux

- Search for "old taste" : so another 3,4 (Super Angulon, great lens) or even one of the first breed of 21s (Zeiss Biogon or Nikkor f 4,5, both not so common and with adapters to be found…), or even the Russar 20mm... ;)

There is another "modern" lens... the 21mm Elmarit ASPH.

Actually no; around US$4k for both. Perhaps a hair more for the 35 FLE but then, there's a greater demand for the latter.

Comparatively in the sense of compared to their price new, as they are both currently in production

21 Lux new is over $7.8k, 35 FLE is $5.3k

so, a second hand 21 Lux is around 50% of price new, FLE is at 75% of price new?

So, actually, I think it is an interesting price and not sure what drives that difference apart from popularity .. it is an excellent lens

And btw, here in the UK there is one for sale at a reputable dealer Exc+ for around 3k (GBP) roughly the same as the 35 FLE

I actually quite enjoy Voigtlander lenses. They have a really wonderful rendering to them but I often dislike their ergonomics. The 21mm f/1.8 was really really nice and I thought it was a great lens to use but I really hated that fixed lens hood. 

The Contax G 21mm is simply phenomenal, probably the best 21mm lens I have ever used, I never tried an M converted one but I was thoroughly impressed with it on the G2 kit I used to have. 

I had a Leica 21mm Elmarit ASPH for a little while but I never really got along with it, sold it pretty quickly. 

My current favorite is the Super Angulon f/3.4. I'm on my second copy because I stupidly sold my first one. I primarily use it on film (say 99%) but I'm going to give it a shot on digital as well. Ironically I don't really shoot much with my M10 for whatever reason. I tend to prefer working with film and I'm still trying to figure out how the M10 fits into my workflow. Whenever I do use it, I sure do love it though. 

In the "none of the above" department, I love the CV 21/4.

I have both the Zeiss ZM 21mm 2.8 and the CV 21mm Skopar, and the lens I like to use most is...............the 21mm Skopar.

I would thoroughly recommend the Contax G 21mm having had one when I had a G2 setup (a superb set of lenses). But it's one of those things that if you'd never had one you wouldn't think the extra fuss was worth it, it's really the icing on the cake and not the cake itself if you see what I mean. If anybody is doing street photography I'd much prefer the Skopar for it's size. Set the lens to f/8 and it doesn't need to be focused, and at f/8 mine is as good as my ZM lens. The ZM is better at f/16, but with a 21mm wide angle lens who is looking for the extra DOF that often?

Bothe the 21mm f/3.4 Lenses from Leica should be considered 'legendary'. The original Super-Angulon was one of Leica's 'expensive' lenses second only, from reading posts here on the LUF, to the 50mm f/1 Noctilux when available new. A superbly sharp lens centrally (even today) with resolution fall off and vignetting towards the edges and corners. A highly characterful lens, great on film and quite usable on digital.

The SEM is the 'legendary' digital lens as far as I am concerned. Its the best 20/21mm lens I've used (and I've used a lot).

So I would say that if you shoot both film and digital then need one of each and to forget about all the others :D.

Seriously though, its a dilemma and each of us will have our opinions. The only thing I would say is that whatever les you decide on, buy it after trying it or with a full returns policy so that you can thoroughly check it out.

• Like 1

For film the 21mm Zeiss Biogon f:4.5 is the most distortion free lens available. Unfortunately it is not usable with full format digital Leicas. Being a true wideangle, it is very small. Regards, Ron.

Question: Would someone describe the results with the Voigtlander 21mm 1.8?

Edited by Ronazle
  • Like 1