Video Help. Any Suggestions Welcome

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I acquired an MP240 a couple months ago and am looking for suggestions or hints on how to use the video feature.  My daughter gets her doctorate in physical therapy in four days and I wanted to video her graduation walk.  I will be using my 135 from the bleachers.

My only experience with video using digital cameras is with Fuji X100 or X70.  There I just set the camera to auto and press the video button.  I have the expanded guide to the M240 by David Taylor and there is not much there about video.  

So, my questions are :  does the "A" feature work in video?  Should I determine exposure based on say a 1/60 shutter speed and whatever ISO I set?  Basically, what should I set the controls at or how is video exposure different from shooting stills?

Thanks!

I'm not expert, but had made some videos with my M240.

Using video on M is very simple.

The "A" is working as in still.

Pushing the "video shutter" and toggle on/off with this same button.

Remember to focus the lens and use the aperture for depth of field required.

Why not just try it now with 50mm (135mm may be more difficult but usable on your project of course) to take some short video sequences ?

The nice thing is when in video, we can take still photos as usual ;).

In digital trying things just cost "time" and files can be deleted as will.

without stabilization a 135 is going to give you a Blair Witch effect if you try and

handhold the camera. recommend a mono or tripod.

Shutter at 2x the frame rate and try not to underexpose ... as grain will be

bad at higher iso.

Yes prior to starting video I set the shutter speed and aperture to get a decent exposure ... take a still 

and look at the histogram. If there is a lot of dynamic range in the scene ... walk way to stage ... you

may prefer A and let the shutter adjust.

A variable density filter that you are comfortable using in video is helpful ... allows you to keep the

shutter at 2X in M mode and not have diffraction effects from a very small aperture in bright conditions.

Other than the most important suggestion to use tripod, I can say that using auto (A mode and auto ISO climbing to 3200) is the simplest way to use video on M240. Just set the aperture you want and press video button on/off. It will adjust shutter speed (down to 1/25) and ISO based on the scene for the aperture you are using. Very simple. Just make sure that the aperture is fast enough for the light so that auto calculated shutter speed doesn't fall below 1/25. In that case camera will still shoot at 1/25sec but video will be darker.

The reason I like all auto is that if you go manual and choose shutterspeed manually then the clicks get recorded in the audio. I am assuming that you are not using external microphone.

Try it out in variable light and you will know what I mean.

• Like 1

My mentality is to use the right tool for the right job. When I shot NFL football, you didn't see me on the sidelines 

with an M6. It was an AF Nikon F5 and AF lenses.

This graduation is an important event for you, so I would use a stabilized video camera, and if you don't have one, 

rent it. If you do, be sure to practice with it before the event. 

Right tool for the right job. 

Edited by CropDusterMan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This graduation is an important event for you, so I would use a stabilized video camera, and if you don't have one, 

rent it. If you do, be sure to practice with it before the event. 

Right tool for the right job. 

I'm with you the right tool for the right job.

But sometimes this rule is not applicable for some reasons.

May I think that this time the M video was done right for and by Ktmrider2:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280156-m-240-video/page-2

Post #23

ktmrider2 wrote

I was not expecting a professional production and shall we say my video did not disappoint in that respect.

I must have posted on the wrong thread.  There were a couple professionals covering the event so a nice clean video is available for $.  The event was in a large sports field house in Denton, Tx just north of Dallas.  Parents/spectators were not allowed out of their seats to take photos as the graduates walked.  So again I did not expect an Oscar for my cinematography and it took my daughter about 40 seconds to cross the stage, get her PhD robe and diploma and return to her seat.  

Since I had never used the video on the M240 before, I was looking for tips or hints on how to do it since the books and online resources were scant to say the least.  And the members of this forum came through as they usually do when asked a specific technical question.  Now, we all have opinions on the best digital M or film body and which focal length we cannot live without but when it comes to technical details or how to something, it is a gold mine of information.

So thanks again.  Now a wedding in 12 days (oh my!).  And I asked this same question over on rangefinder forum and did not have a single comment.

• Like 1