Sell M lenses?

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm getting out of the M system and focusing entirely on the SL. I've got three M lenses- a 35mm Summicron ASPH, 75mm Summilux, and 90mm APO-Summicron ASPH. On the SL, I think I would want a 35mm Summicron (when it comes out) and a 90mm Summicron. Should I sell my M lenses to get the SL versions, or should I hold onto the M lenses in case Leica one day comes out with an EVF M-mount camera? Is it worth it to hold onto the M lenses as backups?

I'm getting out of the M system and focusing entirely on the SL. I've got three M lenses- a 35mm Summicron ASPH, 75mm Summilux, and 90mm APO-Summicron ASPH. On the SL, I think I would want a 35mm Summicron (when it comes out) and a 90mm Summicron. Should I sell my M lenses to get the SL versions, or should I hold onto the M lenses in case Leica one day comes out with an EVF M-mount camera? Is it worth it to hold onto the M lenses as backups?

I have consistently regretted any sales of Leica lenses.    However, I kept my M lenses because they are a pleasure to use on the SL.   If you feel differently, sell them.   Don't hold your breath for an EVF M camera.  The subject has been beaten to death here so I won't say anything further.

• Like 1

Guest VVJ

If you don't need to sell them to fund the SL and its lenses I would probably hold on to them and perhaps make the call at a later stage.  

With the SL it is a pleasure to shoot M-lenses and sometimes you might want to go light and prefer not to carry the heavier SL-lenses. Having options is good!

I sold 21-28-35 when getting into the SL system.  I was thinking Sony or Fuji and even in my worst nightmares I never expected it would take Leica so long to get the new lenses out...

Also take into account that the 35mm is announced but not there yet...

If you have the cash do it the other way round .....get the SL equivalent and then see how long you can justify the M version sitting on a shelf doing nothing. 

There will come a time ..... like dumping a girlfriend, when you know you can do it without remorse ..... ;)

I also had concerns about letting M lenses go ...... but unless there is a possibility you will buy another M in the future they are not a good financial investment ..... they will still lose money, albeit less than many other lenses. I now have a rough and ready rule with camera gear .... if I haven't used it for 18 months, eBay call, unless there are some very good reasons to hang onto it. 

My 75/2 is about to go to fund a lightweight RRS tripod which I need and will certainly use, whereas the 75/2 hasn't seen a light ray in 3 years ..... I have the SL 75/2 which is a better lens and only a few hundred grams heavier. 

Edited by thighslapper

I have consistently regretted any sales of Leica lenses.    However, I kept my M lenses because they are a pleasure to use on the SL.   If you feel differently, sell them.   Don't hold your breath for an EVF M camera.  The subject has been beaten to death here so I won't say anything further.

+1 except that I have not sold any so have no regrets.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Providing you can be 100% sure for getting out of M system for good sell otherwise think carefully.

SL lenses will never work on any other mount other than Leica L while M lenses work universally on mirror-less across multiple vendor platforms, Leica L included.  Longer ones like 75 and 90mm work well on Sony, Fuji, etc.  Sell, if you must, Summicron 35 and keep long ones.

Tough! I am tempted to let go of some of my R and M lenses to fund 16-35 SL. However, I love the feeling of an M on SL and on my MP240. But when I started photography with Leica - I was told it's easy to sell M glasses and but you sell them - the separation anxiety will stay for a while! :)! But then you will fall in love with the next Leica lens!

AFAIC if it's not used it gets sold. I don't like clutter, and it helps me in negotiations with my finance director if my inventory is low.

I am also beginning to think of M cameras differently from M lenses. I enjoy using M lenses on the CL and SL, where manual focus means that the camera is as responsive as a M body, and they are smaller than native AF equivalents. The M240 is getting used less and less, so it's departure is on the agenda, but the lenses are likely to stay until Leica comes up with alternative small superb IQ lenses in L mount.

I cannot see Leica making an EVF M-mount body ever. This is aside from my wishes - I just don't think Leica would see a future in it apart for a few existing M enthusiasts with decaying eyesight. An EVF full frame L-mount body in M form factor, is more likely, because it would take both M and L lenses, but who knows when. As someone has already said, this argument has been done to death. I'm not trying to re-open it, just respond to the OP's question with my opinion.

M lenses are great due to the manual aperture control and wonderful manual focus. This also makes them highly adaptable to other systems. And awesome on the most enjoyable manual film bodies available. And some of the best ones are tiny.

When my SL lenses are rotting in landfill the M lenses will be usable with whatever the latest thing is and taking great photos.

That said, the M lenses are also like parking capital. So if that capital is best deployed in the SL system... which has optically stunning lenses which are awesome if humongous and are system locked... go for it.

I like my SL lenses more in every way but I wish modern lenses had manual aperture control. I’d be far more confident I could use them forever.

Even I'm sold on the SL system and I have four native lenses (the 3 zooms plus the SL75corn), I do not consider selling any of my M lenses. Instead I updated to the M10 to go along with my M lenses. The sL is workhorse to me and the M is my soulmate. As a matter of fact, I keep my M system back to the basics. No EVF, no grip for me even though my preference is to use the LV's focus peaking to focus my M10 from the rear LCD rather than the rangefinder OVF, which is just hopeless with my eyes with the 095 Noctilux open at full. I do agree that the SL lenses are indeed a notch better than the M lenses but nothing will make me sell my M lenses.

• Like 1

AFAIC if it's not used it gets sold. I don't like clutter, and it helps me in negotiations with my finance director if my inventory is low.

I am also beginning to think of M cameras differently from M lenses. I enjoy using M lenses on the CL and SL, where manual focus means that the camera is as responsive as a M body, and they are smaller than native AF equivalents. The M240 is getting used less and less, so it's departure is on the agenda, but the lenses are likely to stay until Leica comes up with alternative small superb IQ lenses in L mount.

I cannot see Leica making an EVF M-mount body ever. This is aside from my wishes - I just don't think Leica would see a future in it apart for a few existing M enthusiasts with decaying eyesight. An EVF full frame L-mount body in M form factor, is more likely, because it would take both M and L lenses, but who knows when. As someone has already said, this argument has been done to death. I'm not trying to re-open it, just respond to the OP's question with my opinion.

It is different discussion but lets just imagine for a moment future full frame L mount EVF camera made as small or slightly bigger than current Leica CL, maybe similar in shape to M body.  Rather than eroding M-RF camera sales, as many think it would, it would most probably create new sale opportunities for both bodies and M and L lenses. 

I exclusively use SL with M, third party and R lenses in that order.   

I’m hanging onto two M lenses (35 and 50 Summilux) along with an MP typ240.

All three are not seeing much use at this point since I have the SL, the 50, 24-90, and 90-280. The 16-35 arriving this week may completely eliminate my need for the M system.

It also depends on what and where you photograph. I was in Havana recently and an M with, in this case, Summicron 35/50 was just so right because of the size and old school look. An SL with M lenses would still have been OK but with native SL lenses it is a big and intimidating tool in some situations. Just like, say, an EOS 5 with 24-70. So I am also not selling my M lenses anytime soon.