Some first reactions with my new M10

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David, you don't need a Noctilux (this naming was for decades ago, remember 25 ISO Kodachrome :p) for night time use of M10.

Try 10 000 ISO and you would see ;).

At f/2 in available light, 10k ISO has something that delight me in color (I've done that with Monochrom 10k ISO for years but never happy with the files)

Now I use Summarit-M (f/2.5) much more than Summilux/Noctilux that I really need not long ago to be fine at available lighting.

• Like 1

Please describe the "more fun" you get from taking photos with a Leica.

More fun …how to describe?  I could think about this for a long time, and experienced Leica users can answer this one a lot better than me.

Some immediate thoughts, in no particular order: 

(1) Beauty and relative simplicity of the camera itself, and the feel of craftsmanship in my hands.

(2) The possibility with any photo of obtaining an artistic rendering that seems unique to Leica.

(3) The rangefinder experience that brings back the memories of my early days in photography.

(4) More involvement in setting aperture, speed and focus as compared to the automatic DSLR or pocket camera.  Many of those cameras have a manual mode, but it becomes so easy to use them as a snapshot camera that I often go fully automatic.  When I make beautiful photos in automatic mode, I feel like the credit goes to the camera computer while I just happened to be in a beautiful place or find a beautiful subject.

(5) This Leica Forum and other websites about Leica photography—it is a lot of fun and very educational to read the blogs, postings, articles and videos about Leica photography.  I wanted to be more of a part of it, and I have had a lot of fun—and learned a lot—in the months leading up to my Leica purchase, and I am still having fun and learning.

(6) Leica brings a combination of the new and old to my lifelong interest in photography.  For me, this is much fun.

(7) For me, post-production editing, file organization, and maintaining useful catalogs beyond mere chronological order is not particularly fun.  I will get engrossed in these kinds of projects and then abandon them.  I like to get the results I want straight out of the camera.  So having a Leica, finally, is at this point all the more fun and exciting to see what I can do.

• Like 9

I would add to the above:

I get much more satisfaction when using my Leica Ms than with my DSLRs.  For many events I need the automated performance of the DSLR.  It focuses, sets either the aperture or shutter speed (sometimes both) and sets the ISO value.  My job is to compose.  I get results I'm happy with, but it was primarily due to the camera - not me.  A great example of the "your camera takes great pictures" concept. 

With the Leica M it is all up to me.  The most satisfying images I've ever captured were of my granddaughter walking down the aisle at her wedding.  Using my M-240 and 50 Summicron I successfully pulled focus  the entire way.  Every shot was in focus as they approached me.  The images were great, but the satisfaction I got from taking then was even greater.  I could have gotten the same great shots with my DSLR, but would have missed the satisfaction of taking them.

My Leica M is a camera.  My DSLR is a computer with a lens attached.  Although the results are great I get about as much fun with the DSLR as I do my PC.

• Like 6

More fun …how to describe?  I could think about this for a long time, and experienced Leica users can answer this one a lot better than me.

Some immediate thoughts, in no particular order: 

(1) Beauty and relative simplicity of the camera itself, and the feel of craftsmanship in my hands.

(2) The possibility with any photo of obtaining an artistic rendering that seems unique to Leica.

(3) The rangefinder experience that brings back the memories of my early days in photography.

(4) More involvement in setting aperture, speed and focus as compared to the automatic DSLR or pocket camera.  Many of those cameras have a manual mode, but it becomes so easy to use them as a snapshot camera that I often go fully automatic.  When I make beautiful photos in automatic mode, I feel like the credit goes to the camera computer while I just happened to be in a beautiful place or find a beautiful subject.

(5) This Leica Forum and other websites about Leica photography—it is a lot of fun and very educational to read the blogs, postings, articles and videos about Leica photography.  I wanted to be more of a part of it, and I have had a lot of fun—and learned a lot—in the months leading up to my Leica purchase, and I am still having fun and learning.

(6) Leica brings a combination of the new and old to my lifelong interest in photography.  For me, this is much fun.

(7) For me, post-production editing, file organization, and maintaining useful catalogs beyond mere chronological order is not particularly fun.  I will get engrossed in these kinds of projects and then abandon them.  I like to get the results I want straight out of the camera.  So having a Leica, finally, is at this point all the more fun and exciting to see what I can do.

Well said David

• Like 2

Hi,

I read these forums often and have since 2012 when I joined. I love the passion for taking pictures that so many have here and their love of the experience and results that a Leica gives them. As you can see, this is my first post and it’s because I relate to David’s story. I have owned and shot with many cameras with great results but, for me, something is missing. It was not a frivolous decision because it is an expensive one and one that I thought about for some time. That being said, I purchased my first Leica last month. A Leica M10 and the 35 Summicron without the opportunity to even see one in person. I don’t make a living taking pictures but I love taking photographs with this camera.

Thanks David,

Steve

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I read these forums often and have since 2012 when I joined. I love the passion for taking pictures that so many have here and their love of the experience and results that a Leica gives them. As you can see, this is my first post and it’s because I relate to David’s story. I have owned and shot with many cameras with great results but, for me, something is missing. It was not a frivolous decision because it is an expensive one and one that I thought about for some time. That being said, I purchased my first Leica last month. A Leica M10 and the 35 Summicron without the opportunity to even see one in person. I don’t make a living taking pictures but I love taking photographs with this camera.

Thanks David,

Steve

Steve, thanks for your comments.  This is a real coincidence.  My first Leica camera and lens, purchased about a month ago, were also the M10 and the 35 Summicron--and I also have never tried one before.  I had seen one tourist who was walking around with an M10, but I didn't even know what lens he was using.  I have a 50 Summilux on order, but it has not arrived yet.

Edited by david.kize
  • Like 2

Hi,

Thanks David,

Steve

I bought my first Leica in 1993 without ever seeing one in real life. It was a 1957 M3 sold in the classified pages of our photographic magazine. I had never tried a rangefinder before.

Since then I have bought a used M8 and M9, and a new M10. Did not try any of those either before buying, but I knew the concept of M by then and could download DNG files to look at.

It would have been nice to look at a camera before buying, but that is not the case if you are living in rural Norway (or rural anywhere).

I thought the same thing when I read the original post. What’s the odds?...and I’ve never seen a Leica M being used by anyone ever.

I don’t like to “try out” a camera thinking I can always return it if I don’t like. It’s why I read as much as I could before I decided. Once I decided, I had a good idea I will be happy and, I’m this case, I am very happy. Having a Leica M reminds me of owning an expensive hand made guitar. I could play any guitar but playing a high quality instrument is very satisfying. The fact that it can also have subtle or even greater sound quality improvements are just icing on the cake.

I’m looking forward to many years of enjoyment and continued learning from the experience and this forum.

• Like 1

Hi David,

congrats to your new camera. I have been a long time M user (since film) but allways also used other cameras with AF along (Nikons, Canons, and now Leica CL/SL).

When I aquired an x1d in addition I finally sold my M10...but kept most lenses. What should I say, I missed the M.

The M rangefinder  IMO only works well only for few focal length (best is wides up to 35,50 IMO), it is not easy to frame accuratly with wides and longer focal length, BUT as you say it is also for me a very puristic and direct simple experience to use it. f-stop, focus, klick klack. And one can see the subject the whole time, so one feels confident to have caught the moment (or not).

The SL + AF lenses are faster, more perfect, easier to nail exposure and distance, like a workhorse.

But for me the M is more joy for those situations, where an M fits the bill.

So I regretted selling the M10 and rebought another M10 body which I received yesterday. Happy like a small kid with a new football;)

• Like 3

Having a Leica seems to spawn the continual urge to acquire and use more Leica equipment. 

I want to become experienced on what I have already bought before buying any more photography equipment. 

But . . . I do look at other Leica bodies and lenses (new and used) with an eye to the future.  For example, the different renditions of the M240 and M10 sensors intrigue me.  Each lens is different.  There is always the allure of getting a different effect or capability with something else.  Even though I am not planning to buy anything else, it is educational and fun to read about all the camera bodies and lenses.

HI David,

received my M10 yesterday! I was wondering if you faced the same issue I'm dealing with: the battery fully charged is indicated in camera as 90% charged whereas a 100% signal should be expected!

Thanks for any reply  

It will probably resolve itself over time, as a battery needs a number of charges to reach full capacity.

I am out of town without my camera, but I think my battery charge did show 100%.  I will verify upon returning later this week.  However, as suggested by Jaapv, I remember reading in the Leica M10 user guide about a new battery taking several charge cycles to reach maximum charge.

Edited by david.kize

Hi David,

If you are keeping count, my first Leica arrived last week, M10 with a 35 Summicron. This is my first Leica. I've never used a Leica before. But I knew I wanted to own one. I recently sold my house and my wife and I moved out of the 'hot' Seattle market to a small town in Maryland and well, I allocated some of that money for myself. So I decided to jump in feet first. The deal with my wife is she gets to spend the same amount on whatever, only fair.  

Thanks for starting the thread. 

Ron

• Like 3

Hi David,

If you are keeping count, my first Leica arrived last week, M10 with a 35 Summicron. This is my first Leica. I've never used a Leica before. But I knew I wanted to own one. I recently sold my house and my wife and I moved out of the 'hot' Seattle market to a small town in Maryland and well, I allocated some of that money for myself. So I decided to jump in feet first. The deal with my wife is she gets to spend the same amount on whatever, only fair.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Ron

The 35 Summicron is so small and so good. Great choice and congratulations. In the link below the last few pictures show some comparisons between the M10 with the 35 Summicron and the α7R III with the Sonnar FE 35/2.8. For detail and depth rendering your combo beats the Sony combo by a mile.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Jfdr66/

• Like 1