Some first reactions with my new M10

david.kize

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new silver M10 arrived last week with a Leica half case and a black Summicron M 35mm ASPH lens. (I have a Summilux M 50 on backorder).  I bought the vintage brown Leica camera strap that matches the Leica half case.

I have now taken about 20 test photos, with pleasing results, and here are some of my initial reactions to having this camera:

1.  I like it (which is good since I bought it online without ever having used a Leica camera).

2.  I use OP/TechUSA camera straps on my Nikon D800 and D500 and on some holster packs.  They have a springy feel with a thick foam rubber pad at the neck or shoulder that disperses the weight significantly.    Compared to my M10 with a relatively thin leather strap, the Nikons do not feel any heavier than the Leica.  I could use an OP/TechUSA strap on my Leica and probably barely notice the weight of the camera, but the straps are large and out of proportion with the very nice size of the M10.

3.  I am always getting confused with the power on/off switch.  The red dot shows when power is off, and is covered up when power is on.  This seems counter-intuitive.

4.  I don't see much area inside the optical viewfinder when I am wearing my glasses.  For example, I can't see the 35mm frame lines.  When I wear my contact lenses, I easily see everything in the viewfinder and would have no trouble with the 28mm frame lines.

5.  My test photos were so good (taken in the beautiful late afternoon mellow sunlight, and earlier in a heavy downpour with the sky almost black) that I am wondering if the good results are primarily attributable to the camera/lens combination, or if I just happened to take pictures in good or interesting lighting with pleasing composition.  So now I want to take my Nikon D800 along with my M10 and take pictures of the same subjects with both cameras, just to see what differences I can notice.  I don't have a 35mm for my Nikon (having probably made a mistake by selling it some time ago), but I can use my Nikon 28mm or my Voightlander 40mm for comparison to the Summicron M 35mm ASPH as to colors, hue, resolution, and the like, plus simply the overall effect.  Or I could put my 21mm Zeiss Distagon on my Nikon D500, giving me on a DX sensor the equivalent of about 31mm, or put the 28mm lens on the D500, giving me on the D500 the equivalent of 42mm.  And I can try all this again when my Summilux M 50mm arrives, so that i can match results with my D800 and its own 50mm lens.  The bottom line is that I am still trying to find out how many of my best photos are the "Leica Effect" as compared to what I could have also produced with one of my Nikon cameras.  Of course, the Nikon D800 with its 36 megapixel sensor would have higher resolution visible in extremely large blow-ups, but I am interested not in that or in laboratory testing, but merely in visual impressions of "in the field" photos straight out of the camera.

6. I love the looks and feel of the M10 sitting in a vintage brown Leica half-case and matching strap, and this reminds me of my old Kodak Signet rangefinder that I used from 1953-1978.  I still have that camera and am looking at these two cameras together.  From a distance, they look quite similar.  The biggest difference (besides for all the technical and quality differences) is that the Kodak is so light, where the M10 has almost the size and weight of a brick--very solidly built.  I have a photo below of the two cameras side by side.

7.  And did I say . . . the Leica M10 is a beautiful machine.  I love to look at it.  I would like it as a very expensive desk toy even if I never took a photo with it.    

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I liked the looks of the silver body and did not particularly want the look of the black paint that wears to show the brass underneath (a look desired by many).  I bought black lenses just beause they are lighter weight in the lens types and focal lengths that I was considering--i.e., they were silver brass and not silver annodized.  A few posters who, like me, live in the Southwestern USA, complained that the tops of their black M10's got very hot from the sun in the summer.

I read lots of online posts about the different 35 and 50 focal lengths and lens types.  I looked at lots of online photos with these lenses.  Due to cost and weight I selected the Summicron M 35mm ASPH over the Summilux 35mm FLE.  I gave some consideration to 28mm, as many prefer that to 35mm, and in my case I frequently use my Nikon 28mm f/1.8 with my Nikon D800.

I ordered also the Summilux M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, and it is on back-order.  Thus, I did not spend a lot of time agonizing between 35 and 50.

There is no right answer to any of this, and we hopefully like what we have and learn to use it to our satisfaction.

• Like 4

David,

Prime good reactions announcing happy long time user.

Mine is silver only because when ordered early last year, silver M10 can be available sooner than black.

For the point #3:

This is a choice from Leica and we can do nothing.

Some days later, you wouln't even notice that choice.

Adjust "sleep time 2 or 10 min.", then forgetting it "on" is not big mistake.

Anjoy your new M10.

• Like 1

Congratulations with this beautiful camera David! You will love the new feel of taking pictures.

But please do not waste precious leica time comparing with Nikon because I am convinced that bumping into a moment and producing the shot that is so pleasing for you to look at, is the main reason behind this leica feeling. Assuming you took the shot with your M10 of course.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats.

I have never used a case, preferring the naked camera for feel and looks (and size/weight), made even better with the Leica thumb attachment. As for glasses, try some thin, flexible frames.... mine allow good view of the VF. And be sure your eyes are fully corrected for astigmatism and for distance (the focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m). In my old age, I now benefit from a + .5 diopter in addition to my glasses. Trial diopters are free to test at most opticians.

Happy shooting.

Jeff

• Like 1

I also preferred the silver M10 - likely because through the '50s & '60s most good cameras were chrome. And I've used black lenses on chrome Leica's since my M4 in 1968.

Also, in those years nearly everyone had a hard leather case on their cameras, so there's a generational factor in liking cases. (however, while in the army during the Vietnam era I carried a bare IIIf with a parachute cord strap)

• Like 1

Also, in those years nearly everyone had a hard leather case on their cameras, so there's a generational factor in liking cases. (however, while in the army during the Vietnam era I carried a bare IIIf with a parachute cord strap)

No case for me going back to the 70s.

Jeff

• Like 2

Congrats.

I have never used a case, preferring the naked camera for feel and looks (and size/weight), made even better with the Leica thumb attachment. As for glasses, try some thin, flexible frames.... mine allow good view of the VF. And be sure your eyes are fully corrected for astigmatism and for distance (the focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m). In my old age, I now benefit from a + .5 diopter in addition to my glasses. Trial diopters are free to test at most opticians.

Happy shooting.

Jeff

Good tips about eyeglasses--in my case, I have very strong near-sighted and astigmatism corrections and a big difference between left and right eye.  The difference is so large that I will be having cataract surgery sometime in the next few months, and this will hopefully produce close to 20/20 distance vision (and reading glasses).  Hopefully the 2m virtual distance of the focus patch will be in the 20/20 eyesight range and not in a "no-man's land" between distance and reading.  If that happens, then I will need to find a diopter.  I think it will be a good result because right now I try to wear contact lenses on weekends and when traveling with a camera, and these are set to 20-20 vision (requiring reading glasses), and I had no problem this weekend with the Leica rangefinder and contacts.  I am glad that once I got past the box camera stage as a child, I learned photography with a rangefinder and used that system exclusively for 25 years.  So my only focus issues at my age are my own eyesight quality and not rangefinder use.

I also preferred the silver M10 - likely because through the '50s & '60s most good cameras were chrome. And I've used black lenses on chrome Leica's since my M4 in 1968.

You bring back memories.  I can identify.  Including my four years active duty in the army plus two reserve years--but I was lucky in that my army time started after the Korean War and ended with the beginning of the Vietnam War. 

I've used cases with rangefinders and only sometimes on my old Nikon F3, but have never used cases on DSLR cameras.  I do have some fear of "clonking" a camera on things without a case.  I looked at my old F3 last night; it was still sitting in a case, but I must not have used the case too much, because the F3 looked very "clonked".  But my Nikon D300, D7100, D800 and D500 and an early Olympus DSLR all look(ed) in fairly decent condition.  I just feel at this early point in my Leica use that it is so beautiful and costs so much that it should be protected from knocking into things and protected from rain. 

In contrast, I have let my Nikon DSLRs run their own risks in weather.  In Norway, people thought I was crazy using my D300 outdoors all day in mild rain, with no protection.  I never had any problem with the camera or lens.  On the other hand, in Alaska, I had to use a "real" camera rain cover, complete with hard arm tunnels and a hard lens tunnel and a continual fogging problem.  The rain was coming down like Niagra Falls.  In bad weather, my Leica will stay at home, which is too bad because I like photography in extreme conditions.  (Of course, I could put a camera in an underwater camera device.  :)  )

Edited by david.kize

Good tips about eyeglasses--in my case, I have very strong near-sighted and astigmatism corrections and a big difference between left and right eye.  The difference is so large that I will be having cataract surgery sometime in the next few months, and this will hopefully produce close to 20/20 distance vision (and reading glasses).  Hopefully the 2m virtual distance of the focus patch will be in the 20/20 eyesight range and not in a "no-man's land" between distance and reading.  If that happens, then I will need to find a diopter.  I think it will be a good result because right now I try to wear contact lenses on weekends and when traveling with a camera, and these are set to 20-20 vision (requiring reading glasses), and I had no problem this weekend with the Leica rangefinder and contacts.  I am glad that once I got past the box camera stage as a child, I learned photography with a rangefinder and used that system exclusively for 25 years.  So my only focus issues at my age are my own eyesight quality and not rangefinder use.

David:

Responding because you are in the same situation (camera and eye-wise) that I am (was). I purchased an M10 pre-cataract surgery:  I was basically blind in my right eye and was seeing dimly through my left. I had a decent bit of astigmatism in both. I then had the surgery (took the option package that included distance vision w/o glasses, reading vision with :) ) but found even after the procedure there was a bit of astigmatism in my left eye and still a decent amount of it in my right. Granted the change in my vision is almost literally "night and day" and my distance vision is reasonably good w/o glasses but I still need them to correct the astigmatism. So now I'm searching around for a solution to rangefinder focusing:  I can do it FAIRLY well through my left eye without any glasses or auxiliary lenses, but would like it to be better. I investigated but dismissed the Leica diopters because I need to correct for that astigmatism so tried focusing through my glasses. That was markedly better than with the naked eye and although I can't QUITE see the 28mm framelines I don't care as I have an idea where they are and I can always crop. I'm a bit afraid of scratching the lenses but the eyepiece surround on the M10 seems to be a (hard) rubber which should be fine (we'll "see"). I also am looking at the walterleica eyepiece lens which is custom ground to your prescription but in communicating with Walter I find that WHICH prescription to use (I have three:  Reading, Computer Screen and Distance) is somewhat of a trial and error process. 

Thus, I've come to the conclusion that it might be best to just try to use my glasses (I'll do trial and error on which distance works best) and see how things come out. I just read a little article by Overgard (I don't have the link handy but I Googled "leica rangefinder eyeglass focus" or similar) in which he recommends using the same glasses you wear for "walking about" (i.e. distance prescription). Also, ultimately, in his opinion all the auxiliary solutions end up being unsatisfactory in some way and people end up not using them. Then he expresses what I think is a most insightful point of view:  Stop worrying about focus so much. Go around, take pictures, do your best; even the most experienced rangefinder users will miss focus, to some degree, on a lot of pictures. Concentrate on the ones that come out reasonably sharp, forget about the other ones, emphasize content, framing, exposure and enjoy yourself and your Leica. Some of the most memorable photos in history were far from pin sharp.

Good luck in your journey with your M10.

Edited by nlk10010
  • Like 1

I have no problems at all with my glasses, to the contrary, but you should use the right eye.

-snip-

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do recall reading somewhere that using the left eye can be advantageous in that the camera body blocks off vision in the right and therefore you don't need to "squint", as you might need to do with your left eye if you focus through your right. But of course using the left presents its own problems in that the nose can get in the way (and I have a big one). It's basically what you're most comfortable with.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do recall reading somewhere that using the left eye can be advantageous in that the camera body blocks off vision in the right and therefore you don't need to "squint", as you might need to do with your left eye if you focus through your right. But of course using the left presents its own problems in that the nose can get in the way (and I have a big one). It's basically what you're most comfortable with.

Especially the holes in the nose are impressive in my case at least

David:

Responding because you are in the same situation (camera and eye-wise) that I am (was). I purchased an M10 pre-cataract surgery:  I was basically blind in my right eye and was seeing dimly through my left. I had a decent bit of astigmatism in both. I then had the surgery (took the option package that included distance vision w/o glasses, reading vision with :) ) but found even after the procedure there was a bit of astigmatism in my left eye and still a decent amount of it in my right. Granted the change in my vision is almost literally "night and day" and my distance vision is reasonably good w/o glasses but I still need them to correct the astigmatism. So now I'm searching around for a solution to rangefinder focusing:  I can do it FAIRLY well through my left eye without any glasses or auxiliary lenses, but would like it to be better. I investigated but dismissed the Leica diopters because I need to correct for that astigmatism so tried focusing through my glasses. That was markedly better than with the naked eye and although I can't QUITE see the 28mm framelines I don't care as I have an idea where they are and I can always crop. I'm a bit afraid of scratching the lenses but the eyepiece surround on the M10 seems to be a (hard) rubber which should be fine (we'll "see"). I also am looking at the walterleica eyepiece lens which is custom ground to your prescription but in communicating with Walter I find that WHICH prescription to use (I have three:  Reading, Computer Screen and Distance) is somewhat a trial and error process. 

Thus, I've come to the conclusion that it might be best to just try to use my glasses (I'll do trial and error on which distance works best) and see how things come out. I just read a little article by Overgard (I don't have the link handy but I Googled "leica rangefinder eyeglass focus" or similar) in which he recommends using the same glasses you wear for "walking about" (i.e. distance prescription) because, ultimately, in his opinion all the auxiliary solutions end up being unsatisfactory in some way and people end up not using them. Then he expresses what I think is a most insightful point of view:  Stop worrying about focus so much. Go around, take pictures, do your best; even the most experienced rangefinder users will miss focus, to some degree, on a lot of pictures. Concentrate on the ones that come out reasonably sharp, forget about the other ones, emphasize content, framing, exposure and enjoy yourself and your Leica. Some of the most memorable photos in history were far from pin sharp.

Good luck in your journey with your M10.

I identify also with everything that you said except that I have yet to share all your specific Leica experiences.  I also have three of each prescription--reading, computer screen, and distance.  I am disappointed to read that cataract procedures do not necessarily fix astigmatism.  You are right about enjoying photography whether or not the focus is precise.  Even on my auto-focus cameras, some pictures are ruined by a crazy focus on something not intended, if any focus at all--and on these I would have done better attempting manual focus.

Welcome - to Leica M and the Forum!

2.  I use OP/TechUSA camera straps on my Nikon D800 and D500 and on some holster packs.  They have a springy feel with a thick foam rubber pad at the neck or shoulder that disperses the weight significantly.

I've never liked the OP/Techs - they always feel as though my camera is bungie-jumping from my shoulder. ;) As well as being big.

3.  I am always getting confused with the power on/off switch.  The red dot shows when power is off, and is covered up when power is on.  This seems counter-intuitive.

Just think of the dot as a big red STOPLIGHT! "STOP trying to take pictures - your camera is OFF!" or "See RED - and you're DEAD!" But it has always been troublesome using Nikons mixed with Leicas, even back when every pro in the world worked with both, because Nikon (which started by copying Leica's rival Contax) always did everything backwards to Leica and the rest of the photo world (focusing, aperture rings, etc.)

4.  I don't see much area inside the optical viewfinder when I am wearing my glasses.  For example, I can't see the 35mm frame lines.  When I wear my contact lenses, I easily see everything in the viewfinder and would have no trouble with the 28mm frame lines.

Yeah, the current standard Leica viewfinder (since 1967) was never intended for 28mm framing. It was the finder for the M2 (35/50/90 frames), and then for all Ms starting with the M4 (35/50/90/135 frames). Leica just "squeezed in" 28 lines for competitive reasons starting in 1981. With glasses, I can just about see the M10's 35mm frames - when I recently bought a 28 I also got a lovely chrome 1960s Leitz 28mm external viewfinder.

• Like 1

I identify also with everything that you said except that I have yet to share all your specific Leica experiences.  I also have three of each prescription--reading, computer screen, and distance.  I am disappointed to read that cataract procedures do not necessarily fix astigmatism.  You are right about enjoying photography whether or not the focus is precise.  Even on my auto-focus cameras, some pictures are ruined by a crazy focus on something not intended, if any focus at all--and on these I would have done better attempting manual focus.

Yea, well, my ophthalmologist told me that AFTER the surgery. :) Of course your experience may differ. Your last point is also noted by Thorsten in that piece:  Even WITH autofocus you can (and do) miss. Photography boards are FILLED with complaints about how this or that camera front- or back-focuses or misses focus completely. We like to search for perfect solutions; unfortunately, in real life, there ARE no perfect ones. Deal with the fact that NO MATTER WHAT you do, some of the pictures you take will be, to one degree or another, out of focus.

Edited by nlk10010
  • Like 2