Leica SL - Tripod for Photo and Video

Enbee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Assessments - guess who works in IT (if it cant be done in Excel, use a database)! 

The PMG tripods come with a carabiner to which you attach your weights/bag and then attach that to the hole on the underside of the top plate. Better than a (flimsy) hook. They also have spiked feet as standard, inside the leg ready to attach. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-09 at 23.00.34.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-09 at 23.00.13.png

This is fantastic - thank you so much for this! Everything in one place makes it so much easier to go through in what you will get for the price!

Thank You for the screenshot - PMG seems like a good bet based on what details you provided. I didn't get a chance to speak to their customer service yet - but once I do I will be more firm on what I would like to purchase. RRS L-Plate I will surely buy. When you say custom SL plate - I hope that you meant the L-Plate.

p0 is also a done deal for now.

I may order a longer plate from a local brand in India and try it out!

Which PMG did you get btw?

I think you will be happy with any of the three options (Gitzo, RRS, PMG). I have the PMG 424L, but I also have an older Gitzo 3533 (an older model I bought second hand for a good price) as well as the Gitzo GT2545 as my travel tripod if I only have hand luggage (the P0 goes on this). I am happy with all three tripods and their ergonomics. My plan is for landscapes where I am doing multi-minute exposures with 10 stop ND filters, I will setup a second camera (eg Hasselblad SW or Leica R9 loaded with Slide film) and make photos while waiting for SL plus the dark shot and so would fully use two tripods. Lets wait to see if this multi tasking works or results in two poor photos. 

My reason for the 424L was not because I am particularly tall but due to a trip to Scottish mountains where the front leg had to be fully extended but I had to kneel to see out of the viewfinder.  As my Gitzo is only 150cm tall, I bought the Jobu extender (10cm) but the tripod with a clamp and connector is tall enough so I only have to bend a little to use it. 

Yes, I mean the RRS L-Plate for SL. In future I will only buy RRS L-plates that are custom made for the camera as the generic L-plates are nice but not ideal. 

I loved my P0 until I tried the P0 hybrid where the fine control over levelling made it much easier to setup in cold weather. Again, both are excellent and I keep both. As Jeff S states, he would buy the P0 and put a RRS clamp on it - that is also my recommendation. 

Each time I think of going cheap, I think about risk of the tool failing or making the photograph harder to take and I usually end up getting the more expensive "known" quantity. Saying that, for my Monopod, I have Sunwayphoto clamps and I also have cheap plates for my film cameras such as Canon T90 or A1 where I am generally holding the camera and the monopod so there is less risk of an accident. My other investment was feet - Gitzo 50mm diameter rubber foot and 5cm spikes for soft ground. 

As we used to say when we were students and compared Suhner connectors ($100) to RS connectors ($5) - sometimes the best is only just good enough! 

And if you decide to get the P0 and put on an RRS plate, buy the version that has NO plate (#801211), not the one with the Arca plate, which is very hard to remove and is more expensive.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

And if you decide to get the P0 and put on an RRS plate, buy the version that has NO plate (#801211), not the one with the Arca plate, which is very hard to remove and is more expensive.

Jeff

+1;  I cannot get the plate off my P0; I have tried heat and twisting so maybe I need to go to the gym and build up more strength :)

I have the RRS B2-LR-II (Lever) with 3/8" socket but be careful as they also sell the same with sockets for either M6 or 1/4". The choice of 60 or 80mm depends on yourself. Once you are sure it is setup the way you want to work, get some Screw Lock (Medium) to ensure it doesnt come apart when on the field (either Loctite or Liqui Moly). 

Thank you so much for your help! I have finally ordered the Arca-Swiss p0 (without the base) with rrs b2-as-ii-m6 and rrs sl l-plate. I will only know once I use the products how I feel. I am sure this won't be the last indulgence into a tripod or a ball-head!

I am doing some more research on the tripod - but I think I am fairly certain PMG is what I would get especially after speaking to their customer service!

I agree completely with - sometimes the best is only just good enough - until the next best comes in!

• Like 1

If it doesnt work out for you - I could ask my niece's father-in-law if he was interested to buy it :-) He is in Bombay but (like me) an amateur. 

PS for the PMG, I really liked the look of their red apex option. 

Next step is to start thinking of a Gimbal Head :)

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If it doesnt work out for you - I could ask my niece's father-in-law if he was interested to buy it :-) He is in Bombay but (like me) an amateur. 

PS for the PMG, I really liked the look of their red apex option. 

Next step is to start thinking of a Gimbal Head :)

:)! Surely! Shall let you know. I am really keen on the 16-35.

PS: I wish they incorporate some emoji's on these bulletin boards in addition to Thanks! I am sorry that people have to read things which could have just been said without writing!

• Like 1

I ordered the Apex Red 344L - seems good on paper! Thank You for your help and suggestions on looking out for Apex red. I called the customer service to make sure red is in stock! Should have all the stuff by the end of the month! Look forward to some shoots!

I'd definitely recommend Really Right Stuff, and for the SL the TVC-33 is just about right (no need for the bigger TVC-43). I'd keep to a 3-section tripod. My favourite head is the Arca-Swiss P0, which is a genius concept, small and extremely easy to use in the field (see review here: https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/08/arca-swiss-p0-monoball-review.html ). As far as hanging bags under the tripod for stability, I'd be very careful doing that: you need to do so when there is a lot of wind, however, that very same wind can (and will) make your weight move left and right, nullifying the advantage of having a weight in the first place (in fact, making things worse most of the time). My suggestion for wind is to push down your tripod with your hands instead.

Best regards,

Vieri

Edited by Vieri
  • Like 1

HI Vieri, 

Its because of you I spent all my money on the P0 and the P0 Hybrid. Both are excellent so thank you. Although there is now the D4 out which is a ballhead with gearing and looks awesome too. As you said to me, the Cube is brilliant but heavy and bulky. 

As for the RRS vs PMG. I know your Gitzo didnt survive Iceland and you got the RRS, but I have to say that eventhough I have only used the PMG three times, so far it has been perfection. Every bit as well built as the RRS (IMHO) but better designed (see the removal of the head from the apex and the 3/8 and 1/4 threads all around the apex for attachments such as phone holder. Of course there will be times when a weight under the tripod is detrimental, but there are times when it does stabilize the setup. 

One thing that surprises me on all tripod legs - why are there not markings in white along the legs so you can open them up to pre-determined settings when on flat ground; this would be especially useful on the longer tripods where it is rare to open all three legs fully. 

I ordered the Apex Red 344L - seems good on paper! Thank You for your help and suggestions on looking out for Apex red. I called the customer service to make sure red is in stock! Should have all the stuff by the end of the month! Look forward to some shoots!

Congratulations on the tripod and I look forward to seeing it in red! I hope it lives upto your expectations. 

• Like 1

HI Vieri, 

Its because of you I spent all my money on the P0 and the P0 Hybrid. Both are excellent so thank you. Although there is now the D4 out which is a ballhead with gearing and looks awesome too. As you said to me, the Cube is brilliant but heavy and bulky. 

As for the RRS vs PMG. I know your Gitzo didnt survive Iceland and you got the RRS, but I have to say that eventhough I have only used the PMG three times, so far it has been perfection. Every bit as well built as the RRS (IMHO) but better designed (see the removal of the head from the apex and the 3/8 and 1/4 threads all around the apex for attachments such as phone holder. Of course there will be times when a weight under the tripod is detrimental, but there are times when it does stabilize the setup. 

One thing that surprises me on all tripod legs - why are there not markings in white along the legs so you can open them up to pre-determined settings when on flat ground; this would be especially useful on the longer tripods where it is rare to open all three legs fully. 

Hi Ravi,

I am glad you enjoyed the P0s, such great ballheads. About PMG, it is good to see that new manufacturer keep developing and trying for new things, the more choice the better: personally, I don't need threads and attachments around the head, and I find the RRS way to attach the head perfect for my work, but it is great to have the option out there for those who need it.

About the weight under the tripod, to me it's like this:

- when the conditions would need it, then it's detrimental because those same conditions would make the weight move, making things worse;

- when the conditions are not as bad as to make the weight move, then they aren't bad enough to need the weight in the first place.

Plus, it's one more thing to fiddle with / it makes you loose time / you can always bump into the weight yourself, causing movement / and so on... ;)

In short, I never use weight attached under the tripod and I never loose photos to micro-vibrations, not even when I am with my tripod in the ocean (which would make it extremely difficult to attach weight under it anyway! :D ). Just my .02 of course.

Best regards,

Vieri 

Edited by Vieri
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got all the equipment. The QR from RRS seem not to be one that fits directly on the ball-head. I ordered RRS-A2-II-M6. If someone has fitted the RRS Clamp in the past to the ballhead - can you please help with what needs to be done? Here is the information that I found while searching what part may be incorrect - https://www.dallascenterforphotography.com/blog/arca-swiss-p0-head-modify-diy-rrs-clamp/#4. Do I need to remove the middle screw to fit in the RRS Clamp?

In the mean time, I get the RRS clamp to work, I am thinking of ordering Arca-Swiss monoball Fix Quickset Device as a backup option. Would the RRS Base plate and L-Plate work with this clamp?

Thanks in advance!

I finally got all the equipment. The QR from RRS seem not to be one that fits directly on the ball-head. I ordered RRS-A2-II-M6. If someone has fitted the RRS Clamp in the past to the ballhead - can you please help with what needs to be done? Here is the information that I found while searching what part may be incorrect - https://www.dallascenterforphotography.com/blog/arca-swiss-p0-head-modify-diy-rrs-clamp/#4. Do I need to remove the middle screw to fit in the RRS Clamp?

In the mean time, I get the RRS clamp to work, I am thinking of ordering Arca-Swiss monoball Fix Quickset Device as a backup option. Would the RRS Base plate and L-Plate work with this clamp?

Thanks in advance!

You should get any questions answered by calling or emailing RRS directly. They deal with such issues all the time so that their gear is optimized for use.

Jeff

Hi Enbee,

I checked the B &H page for the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 .
In the Q&A section, one writer answered: "I'll answer my own question, for the benefits of others, since I received yesterday my ball head, and installed the RRS clamp. To remove the camera screw, what is required is a 11mm socket on a wrench; the one I used is the first one I tried and it is a regular one, i.e. it is especially thin. Contrary to what i expected, I did not have to use a lot of force; it unscrewed immediately and easily. My RRS clamp came with an M6 screw, 25mm in length; it is the standard screw shipped by RRS. I first tried the screw without the clamp to see how deep I could go before hitting anything. I screwed it almost all the way in, which means considerably lower than with the clamp, before I felt a little resistance and stopped. After removing the screw, I installed the clamp; it sits very solidly on the turning base of the ball head. Panning is easy and smooth, while not too loose either; just perfect. " There are several other answers describing how to attach the clamp.

Roy

• Like 1

HI

I think the ArcaSwiss Monoball Quickset is made for their latest quick release plates (Monoball) - and the standard ArcaSwiss Quick Release plates do not fit (eg RRS). They do another which has both grooves (Fliplock Quick Set Device)

https://www.arca-shop.de/en/knowledge-base/quick-set-devices-camera-plates/ 

My P0 has the standard AS head which has grooves for both. https://www.arca-shop.de/en/tripod-heads/p-series-monoball/p0/289/monoball-p0-fliplock?c=443 

Also, the RRS-A2-II-M6 has a 6mm thread while the P0 comes with a 3/8" screw

https://www.arca-shop.de/en/tripod-heads/p-series-monoball/p0/284/monoball-p0-with-1/4-3/8-threaded-plate?c=443 

In line with another thread here, I think the clamp you should get is this one http://www.reallyrig...r-release-clamp B2-LR-II: LEVER-RELEASE CLAMP (it has a 3/8" socket) while the plain P0 (has a 3/8" screw). For the camera, get the RRS BSL: Plates For Leica SL also from RRS. 

maybe just buy this AS one from your shop:

https://www.tanotis.com/products/arca-swiss-monoball-p0-with-fliplock-quick-set-device-ball-head?variant=27657851664 

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1

I use Gitzo tripods to do SL video/stills work.

They have never failed me.

My tripods are;

Gitzo 2542L

and

Gitzo 3542LS

My primary needs are twofold; video and stills.

On the 2542L I use an Arca ball head for doing still work. That combo will handle anything.

and,

Also on the 2542 when I need a mobile video setup, I use  a vintage, flat base, Miller Super 8 fluid head,(60's), for doing location video, where moving around a lot is called for.

The second Gitzo tripod, the 3542LS, is my "big gun" video tripod.

It is the Gitzo Systematic, which allows me to drop in a 75mm bowl adapter, and use my best, and wonderful, Miller DS 10 video head. .... a proper video head .

I could also switch out the bowl adapter on the 3542LS and put on a flat base, for still use.

I don't know if I will ever need to do that. .... but the option is there.

The 2543L can handle most anything stills-wise .......560mm lens etc.....

I spent a lot of time researching what models to get. I am fully happy with my choices.

Gitzo has always been a cut above .... IMHO

Good Luck and myth focus be with you.

rm

photomacia.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My lightweight and solid tripod head for Leica SL , incl. 90-280mm, and for panorama shooting:

Since a year I use a mixture of ArcaSwiss P0 and RRS, the small clamp (only the big clamp from RRS has a level, I mounted a level into the small one by my own). I removed the ArcaSwiss Monoball Fix clamp and mounted the RRS clamp on the top of the P0. This gives you a lightweight and stable head which can be nicely used for panorama shooting as well (for panorama shooting you just need an nodal slide in addition, like the MPR CL II for the SL 24-90mm and the SL L-plate).

The two pictures shows the head.

I use this head together with a gitzo travel tripod, mine is old, GT 1541T.

Martin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by saxo
  • Like 1