Leica SL - Tripod for Photo and Video

Enbee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello - I have searched the forums and I couldn't find a specific answer to this question so asking. I am looking for a tripod that will support my slider dolly which is about 4.1 pounds (Proaim 17" Slider). My current tripod cannot support the SL plus 24-90 lens on the extreme ends (the slider sags). I am looking for recommendations for what tripod and ball-head to purchase. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. I would like to use the same tripod (if possible) for landscape photography. I am six feet so ideally the camera should be at my height.

Thank You for your help in advance!

+1 for RRS TVC34L - a friend has one and I have been impressed with it in Scotland and in Portugal. 

I also like the Gitzo 3, 4 and 5 Systematic Series (I have an older 3). 

and Promediagear 344L (I have the 424L). 

As for heads, the cube is good but large, so I most often use the P0 hybrid (it has positioners for very small movements after setting up). I have the RRS L Plate permanently attached to my SL and have the levers on the head clamp (that way I do not accidentally unscrew the camera from the tripod head). 

• Like 1

Enbee,  The Really Right Stuff tripods are excellent to include their ball heads.   I suggest you look at their website as they have several excellent videos on how to select the right tripod for your needs.   Try:  www.reallyrightstuff.com   Last, their customer service is excellent and most helpful if you need additional help.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the slider sags, shouldn't that be the problem you want to deal with first. The tripods suggested are all great stuff. I have the RRS BBH55 that's more than 10 years old. It's great.

I think the sagging issue is because of tripod's inability to hold the slider. I bought a very cheap slider just to get by at one of my video shoots. I wasn't really aware of various tripod options until I started seeing the issues with my current MeFoto. Based on my research I feel purchasing a tripod like RRS or Gitzo with BH-55 or Arca (or similar) would have been better. As I have read in multiple places don't buy the cheap tripods - but I am a novice in a photography and taking one small step each time. You learn one thing at a time :)! I have a few lenses that I would like to purchase as well - but since I am in India the buy and sell of Leica's is especially hard. Also, I can't really return stuff once I buy it so I am stuck with whatever I buy, it's unfortunate but the reality. I wish I could see these tripods first hand but I cannot see RRS in India. India has 30% import duty on camera accessories so we get everything at a premium.

Ironically, I am a video producer and an editor so I can put stuff together. Most times, I rent professional teams to do stuff and it works well. Does that make me look bad!

• Like 1

I think the sagging issue is because of tripod's inability to hold the slider. I bought a very cheap slider just to get by at one of my video shoots. I wasn't really aware of various tripod options until I started seeing the issues with my current MeFoto. Based on my research I feel purchasing a tripod like RRS or Gitzo with BH-55 or Arca (or similar) would have been better. As I have read in multiple places don't buy the cheap tripods - but I am a novice in a photography and taking one small step each time. You learn one thing at a time :)! I have a few lenses that I would like to purchase as well - but since I am in India the buy and sell of Leica's is especially hard. Also, I can't really return stuff once I buy it so I am stuck with whatever I buy, it's unfortunate but the reality. I wish I could see these tripods first hand but I cannot see RRS in India. India has 30% import duty on camera accessories so we get everything at a premium.

Ironically, I am a video producer and an editor so I can put stuff together. Most times, I rent professional teams to do stuff and it works well. Does that make me look bad!

I understand. You do have an advantage here. Take your time with the equipping part but do your research like you are doing right now.

Supplement it by observing your crew when they setup and when they respond to your directions and how they solve the problems with the hardware they have. Check out which gear they prefer using. Team solutions are also different from a one man band's solutions.

• Like 1

That was the video that made me consider PMG. However, I still think the RRS would have been just as good. But I do like the features on the PMG, such as easily removable base, the accessory mounting holes around the base. 

However, Gitzo and RRS both have awesome reputations; but there are a number of people on the internet complaining about Gitzo customer support and many praising RRS. There are also good reviews of Leofoto tripods, which as they are from China are far cheaper; however I have never seen anyone with a 10 year old cheap tripod, who thinks it is wonderful (if it hasnt broken). 

I do know that if you go for a cheap tripod, you will end up buying a good one later on (sooner rather than later). I realized the difference between good and cheap with accessories. I ordered 50mm Gitzo feet but after 6 weeks cancelled the order and ordered Leofoto 50mm feet. The Leofoto feet arrived, but I quickly saw that the rubber feet will easily come off the ball foot (probably when I am on a sandy beach and be somewhere under the sand). Then two days later, the Gitzo feet arrived (order was cancelled too late) and the design was so much better - there was a retaining metal clip that prevents the rubber coming off the ball foot. Also, the rubber quality felt better. 

For another option on heads, I am impressed by the Acratech heads and equipment. I have a few of their clamps and their levelling head. Their GP series can be turned upside down to be a gimbal. 

https://www.acratech.net/ 

• Like 1

I researched the PMG - I still like the RRS TVC-24L Tripod or the Gitzo - 3 series (because of the weight) with the L-Plate from RRS. I am leaning towards Arca-Swiss monoball P0 - but will the L-Plate hide the level? BH-40 or BH-55 are both great heads but are a bit more expensive. Does anyone have a preference on why I should chose Arca p0 over BH from RRS.

The TVC may have too light a capacity. From the manufacturers specifications, I divide by 2 for what I know it will handle with comfort - just my cynicism (with a Sirui 10x ballhead, it was rated to 10kg but struggled at 3kg when taking vertical shots with camera off center). 

You will not be disappointed with the P0 - it offers one handed operation and as you tighten up, the composition does not change (a feature of cheaper ball heads). However, you will be awed by the P0 Hybrid and its fine control of levels! Personally, I prefer the fliplock to the "classic". If buying again, I would probably buy the P0 without a clamp and buy the Really Right Stuff 60mm lever clamp and fix that to the P0.  

I have not had problems with the SL with RRS  L-plates and the P0 for seeing the level, but that may be my workflow. I first level the tripod with its built in spirit level (or I use a levelling base under the ballhead and level that). Then I use the electronic levels on the camera to get the composition and level correct (I do not use the ballhead level at all). I have not used the RRS ballheads - since trying the P0 I have not looked at anything else. Like the SL, it is perfect for what I do (landscapes with that setup). 

If you dont buy the RRS levelling base, there are heads you can add to the top of the tripod plate for levelling; I use the Arcatech one which gives 10 degrees of movement and the P0 attached to the top does not obscure the spiritlevel. 

Do you have a photo of your setup which sags? Do you have the 17" slider attached via an Arcaswiss plate or directly to a 3/8" screw? Did you try a long Arcaswiss plate under the slider which screws into multiple places on the slider? It would give more rigidity to your setup. 

PS - we have a travel freeze at work, otherwise I would offer to bring my gear on a future trip to Bangalore/Hyderabad. 

• Like 2

That's very generous of you to offer! I hope that I will be able to narrow it down based on suggestions that I am getting and my research. If what I choose doesn't work - then will retry! I think for my needs for video - a PMG surely has more weight capacity. You are correct about the weight - it may not be as bad as divided by 2 but still it is less than the optimism shown. I have also been thinking of the future as well, if I start to purchase more accessories to mount the SL - I would need the tripod to bear that weight. With that being said, I think I am fairly convinced about Arca-Swiss p0, I am leaning towards Arca-Swiss plates as well with fliplock rather than class (I don't want to mix and match too much) and RRS L-bracket. The workflow makes sense, if I have an L-Plate from RRS. I was wondering if universal L-Plates work - would I have to take it off if I have to replace the battery (For RRS I don't have to).

I think based on your recommendation and some others, I would be more inclined to use TVC34L rather than TVC24L (as suggested by RRS customer service, also they weren't very helpful and kept pointing me to the website, its all there on the website - so that turned me off a bit, plus their recommendation has a wait time of 2 months). I will speak to the PMG customer service tomorrow and see what recommendations they have. 344L seems to be a good option.

Do you have a photo of your setup which sags? Do you have the 17" slider attached via an Arcaswiss plate or directly to a 3/8" screw? Did you try a long Arcaswiss plate under the slider which screws into multiple places on the slider? It would give more rigidity to your setup.

I don't have a photo of the setup as I couldn't leave the equipment as it would have fallen. I didn't have any plates other than the ones that come with the tripod. I think that's a good suggestion on trying out a larger plate and see if that's a good solution.  I think that workflow you recommended works well.

• Like 1

Get the custom RRS SL plate. I didn't regret it.

I have the Sachtler Flowtech 75 which might be excessive for your needs but I found it to be faster and easier to work with than my gitzos. It's really big but manageable.

I should say: so far

Edited by lx1713
  • Like 2

The RRS custom plate for SL has the exact centre point marked for both horizontal and vertical - which is vital for panning/panoramas. Plus as you say - you have full access to battery and connection sockets. 

The P0 and Hybrid both have the level blocked when a camera is in place. 

the other feedback I heard was RRS representatives can be arrogant; but when you have good products it is hard to blame them; however pointing you to a web site when you are calling them is not helpful. 

This is what I meant by an extra long plate to support your system (dont know if you have seen them, but there are longer ones available)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For this - I would settle for a less well known make. There are also ones that have a double dovetail and 3/8" screws. 

I have had good experience with customer support from FLM including an invitation to their factory to meet the designers and engineers when all I asked was for somewhere to try their equipment. However, I bought the PMG tripod but I will go and may buy their levelling head and some plates and other accessories. 

• Like 1

My Assessments - guess who works in IT (if it cant be done in Excel, use a database)! 

The PMG tripods come with a carabiner to which you attach your weights/bag and then attach that to the hole on the underside of the top plate. Better than a (flimsy) hook. They also have spiked feet as standard, inside the leg ready to attach. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 3

I’ve had good experiences with RRS, both with their products and customer service. I currently own 2 of their tripods , the small TQC-14 for travel and the TVC-24L. I generally keep a BH-30 head on the small guy, and the BH-55 head on the tall one, sometimes with the compatible RRS leveling base. The latter makes for a somewhat large and heavy pairing, so I’ve been thinking about buying a P0 for a lighter option. If so, I’d buy the version without their plate and buy one from RRS with a lever clamp. This was determined after watching various videos and reading many articles from folks using various options and offering tips and cautionary notes.

I can say that when I demo-ed an S006 with the S zoom a while back, I had no stability issues using the TVC24L and BH55 + leveling base setup (with an RRS L plate designed for the S). I didn’t keep that gear, however, and will hold off on the P0 until I decide if I’m going to add an SL system or the X1D.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I’ve had good experiences with RRS, both with their products and customer service. I currently own 2 of their tripods , the small TQC-14 for travel and the TVC-24L. I generally keep a BH-30 head on the small guy, and the BH-55 head on the tall one, sometimes with the compatible RRS leveling base. The latter makes for a somewhat large and heavy pairing, so I’ve been thinking about buying a P0 for a lighter option. If so, I’d buy the version without their plate and buy one from RRS with a lever clamp. This was determined after watching various videos and reading many articles from folks using various options and offering tips and cautionary notes.

I can say that when I demo-ed an S006 with the S zoom a while back, I had no stability issues using the TVC24L and BH55 + leveling base setup (with an RRS L plate designed for the S). I didn’t keep that gear, however, and will hold off on the P0 until I decide if I’m going to add an SL system or the X1D.

Jeff

I normally shoot with the BH55 on a Gitzo. I’m considering adding a RRS TFC-14 (same as your TQC without the center column) along with their universal leveling base to use with my BH55 for travel. I would use the leveling base for both leveling and to add around 3” of height to the TFC-14 without the instability of the center column.

Have you any experience with the BH55 on the TQC-14?

• Like 1

I normally shoot with the BH55 on a Gitzo. I’m considering adding a RRS TFC-14 (same as your TQC without the center column) along with their universal leveling base to use with my BH55 for travel. I would use the leveling base for both leveling and to add around 3” of height to the TFC-14 without the instability of the center column.

Have you any experience with the BH55 on the TQC-14?

The TFC wasn’t available at the time I bought the TQC, but even though I don’t like center columns on big tripods, I like it on the travel pod for its flexibility and surprising stability, particularly when matched with a lighter travel camera system. I’ve never felt the need to put the BH-55 on the TQC....overkill for my purposes.

Edit.... but I might try the P0 on it if I add that to the toolkit.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

The RRS custom plate for SL has the exact centre point marked for both horizontal and vertical - which is vital for panning/panoramas. Plus as you say - you have full access to battery and connection sockets. 

The P0 and Hybrid both have the level blocked when a camera is in place. 

the other feedback I heard was RRS representatives can be arrogant; but when you have good products it is hard to blame them; however pointing you to a web site when you are calling them is not helpful. 

This is what I meant by an extra long plate to support your system (dont know if you have seen them, but there are longer ones available)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-09 at 22.36.04.png

For this - I would settle for a less well known make. There are also ones that have a double dovetail and 3/8" screws. 

I have had good experience with customer support from FLM including an invitation to their factory to meet the designers and engineers when all I asked was for somewhere to try their equipment. However, I bought the PMG tripod but I will go and may buy their levelling head and some plates and other accessories. 

Thank You for the screenshot - PMG seems like a good bet based on what details you provided. I didn't get a chance to speak to their customer service yet - but once I do I will be more firm on what I would like to purchase. RRS L-Plate I will surely buy. When you say custom SL plate - I hope that you meant the L-Plate.

p0 is also a done deal for now.

I may order a longer plate from a local brand in India and try it out!

Which PMG did you get btw?