Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I recently acquired two Leica M cameras from an auction. One is a M3, the other is a M2. They both are cosmetically in pretty nice condition, but the viewfinder on each seems to have an issue.

The M3 seems like it may have some separation going on and the focusing patch seems pretty dim. The frame lines for the 90mm seems permanently visible as well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The M2 has what looks like dark spot inside the viewfinder—I'm not sure that this could be. When you looks through the viewfinder it still seems bright and the patch is clearly visible.

I'm wondering if anyone can help identify the issue and also let me know if you think it can be fixed. Other than the viewfinders, the cameras seems in really great shape. Hopefully a CLA can clear things up, or a recement. 

Thanks!

Ross

I hope you got a good deal on these because RF repair beyond a simple cleaning will probably be extra, beyond the cost of a CLA.

I had an M4 that was similar to your M3 in that it had a frame line that was constantly visible.

I sent it to Youxin Ye and he fixed the frame line issue the best he could (bits still showed) and included it with his CLA.

Edited by plaidshirts
  • Like 2

The frameline mechanism and cleaning the finder optics shouldn't add significantly to a CLA.  If the spots are due to desilvering on the mirror, vs dirt, then you would have to choose between paying to have it replaced or just try to ignore the speckles. 

The only really expensve and fiddly issue is if the prism decements and needs to be re-glued.  Not every repair facility offers that service.  But that's not what you've got, otherwise all you would see through the viewfinder would be the rangefinder patch surrounded by blackness.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Youxin was able to fully recover the M3’s viewfinder!

Unfortunetly the M2’s spot were due to desilvering. It’s still completely useable though, just has spots. Not sure if it’s really worth the cost of trying to get it resilvered or replaced since it’s only cosmetic.

Thanks to everyone who replied

• Like 1