tripod recommendation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] and I can tell you that cleaning sand from carbon legs twist grips is PITA. Manfrotto's legs were so easy to clean.

For sea water, turn the tripod upside-down and flush the legs with WD-40, turn it back up to drain. Repeat. That's what WD-4- was made for.

Edited by pico

For sea water, turn the tripod upside-down and flush the legs with WD-40, turn it back up to drain. Repeat. That's what WD-4- was made for.

Not sure how it will help with all the sand stuck to lubrication in the screw grooves (inside the tube). I had to disassemble the legs fully and wash all that sand with WD-40, relube them and assemble back. A good one hour job. I had to disassemble Manfrotto too but it is much easier and doesn't have sand in the screw grooves (there is none since locking mechanism is different). A 10 minute job.

In future I am going to wrap a plastic bag (and tape it) on the lowest joint which may be in the sea water so that sand doesn't get into. 

Edited by jmahto

In future I am going to wrap a plastic bag (and tape it) on the lowest joint which may be in the sea water so that sand doesn't get into. 

Now it becomes apparent how some wooden tripods with open channels are superior for such environments. Look to, for example, Berlebach. It is clear why such designs are preferred for outdoor work in photography and surveying.

Now it becomes apparent how some wooden tripods with open channels are superior for such environments. Look to, for example, Berlebach. It is clear why such designs are preferred for outdoor work in photography and surveying.

I looked up Berlebach. I am sure it will be rock solid (wood dampens way better). However 14lb weight is outside my comfort zone. Overkill when my heaviest camera lens combo is 4lb.

But it does look beautiful. :)