lens hood discussion (redux)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Realizing that we haven't had a rigorous lens hood discussion in at least a couple of days and knowing how much we all enjoy them, I wanted to offer this.

I love the Leica lens hood. But I do admit that it presents problems with a polarizer. I can sort of spin the filter with the hood on, but it's somewhat of a challenge.

But I have an even dorkier problem. When I'm out in the field and I want to put on a polarizing filter, I'd get a little worried about taking off the UV filter first. Now, I know that optimally we shouldn't stack glass. But there are times when I hate to take off the UV and expose the lens to the kind of stupid things I can do, and that's especially true when I'm walking around with no place to secure the camera. So, I want a substitute hood that will allow me to stack the filters and also let me rotate the polarizing filter. 

Big order. And plenty of trial and error. fortunately, the hoods cost <$10 each, and that's a very small price to pay to keep me out of trouble, according to my wife.

Finally found a solution. This on Amazon for $8. No, it won't work perfectly out of the box, because there is some small vignetting in the smaller leaf sides. But a little sanding will remove that. Best of all, it has a ring that tightens down to the polarizing filter, so you can first screw it on, then rotate it whenever you want and tighten that down. I will sleep better tonight.

49mm Tulip Flower Lens Hood for Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens

I wonder. Can you see a difference in vignetting between the original Leica Q hood and the hood you’re recommending? That hood looks so much more open and given Leica already has lens correction built into the DNG, I wonder if there’s a difference.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1

I wonder. Can you see a difference in vignetting between the original Leica Q hood and the hood you’re recommending? That hood looks so much more open and given Leica already has lens correction built into the DNG, I wonder if there’s a difference.

IIRC, there's vignetting with the original when I stack filters, but in any case, one can't rotate the polarizer when stacking. There's no vignetting at all (after the moderate sanding) when I stack filters with Big Mike's filter. But it's a really, really interesting question about whether there's some correction for the hood built into the presets. thanks!

well, no, it actually doesn't work after all. It certainly looked like a clean shot when I took it. UV, then lens shade, and polarizing filter after that, attached while walking. I was soooo optimistic. Not throwing in the towel just yet. Maybe the polarizing lens has to go between the UV and the lens shade....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27

...or maybe remove the UV for the shot, with the polarizer closer to the body, followed by the sun shade.

thanks. but that's my insane issue: not to remove the UV when I'm out, sacrificing a little clarity to avoid the 1:1000 chance I'll drop the camera at that moment of switching over without a filter protecting the lens. More a little project than a genuine concern.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks. but that's my insane issue: not to remove the UV when I'm out, sacrificing a little clarity to avoid the 1:1000 chance I'll drop the camera at that moment of switching over without a filter protecting the lens. More a little project than a genuine concern.

Honestly, I think you’re over thinking the potential problem. You’ll do far more damage than the lens if you drop the camera. I occasionally use a polarizer or ND filter and I usually remove the hood then remove the UV filter and attach the new filter. Depending on the situation, I may or may not put the hood back on. I clearly don’t want direct sun on the front of the lens. The coatings on lens elements are very tough now days that my sense is to not worry about it very much. Just use reasonsble care and enjoy the moment without too much worry about the camera.

• Like 1

I agree with Dan. If you drop the camera the filter will offer nothing in the way of protection. There are plenty of photographers who do not bother with UV/NC filters without issue, although I am not one of them. However I NEVER put the polariser on with the UV for two reasons. Firstly that is just another layer of glass in front of the lens and while top class UVs in optical terms may not add much if any reduction in IQ there is a risk that an extra surface may cause reflections. Secondly, with or without a lens hood,  with wide angle lenses adding the extra 4mm (or similar) of the thickness of the filter mount is likely to cause vignetting, especially when the lens is designed to match the sensor precisely as in the Q. I can remember a while back when Nikon produced a very good polariser which had a 10mm thick mount and fitted a 62mm thread the actual area of the glass was larger and required a 72mm lens cap. This was to avoid vignetting when used with wide angle lenses.

• Like 1