Handevision berit lenses

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anybody used any of the HandeVision Iberit lenses (75, 90).  Are they terrible, ok, or just fine?

I haven't seen recent reviews of these lenses.  They have the very desirable  virtue of being 

inexpensive..... or are they just..... cheap and awful.  I'm interested in a 75mm for the CL. The 

Summarit 75 would be good, but it is more than I want to pay.  Now, I use a Summilux 75, (great lens),

but it is heavy.

Ciao,  Sully

Edited by Sully

The 75 summarit was/is the best of the four lenses, if it wasn't stuck with the stigma of a cheaper Leica lens it's reputation would be stellar.

Those who own them don't give them up readily, but if you find a used copy of the original f2.5 it would be a lens that will last a lifetime, give you great images and have value when time to sell. Likely, it will cost slightly more now but then you are getting so much more value.

• Like 1

For the record, a good lens has 7 or 9 curved aperture blades. Thats because this gives you sufficiently round bokeh at wide apertures and 14 / 18 ray sunstars at small apertures.

Not rounding the aperture will introduce ugly geometric bokeh balls (which are therefore no longer balls) unless you shoot maximum aperture.

More blades wont give good sunstars anymore (the rays will get too short and flow into each other, killing the effect).

An even number of blades will only give sunstars with an equal number of rays as blades.

One king of sunstars is btw the Nikkor AF 180mm f2.8 - thats because all 8 optical elements of the lens are located BEFORE the ninebladed aperture.

Unfortunately all these things arent really popular with Leica M. Here it seems custom to have 10 straight blades. Leica often doesnt even specify the number of blades at all, it seems.

This aperture blade configuration is commonly found on Nikkor F (Nikon) and Fujinon XF/GF (Fujifilm) lenses, though.

Voigtländer is a most interesting. Their Leica M lenses have 10 straight blades while their Nikon F lenses have 9 rounded blades. So they adapt to the environment.

How important is this ? Well, not so much. But IMHO it shows attention to detail. Giving a lens merely 6 straight blades ... well Hasselblad HCD lenses apparently have only 5(!) and Hasselblad XCD lenses [made by Nittoh] only 4(!) blades, so thats still an improvement over those.

Also I have to state from these example images that I clearly prefer the Voigtländer shots in a blind test. They just have that extra in "bite" and pleasentness of rendering.

Edited by LichtUndDunkelheit

For the record, a good lens has 7 or 9 curved aperture blades [...]

What is good for you or for some reviewers is not necessarily so for all photographers B). I like much the 6 blades of my Elmar 50/2.8 for instance (pic). No need to code the lens to recognize it then suffice it to look at its bokeh ;). Now i would be glad if my Super-Angulon 21/3.4 had more than 4 blades to be honest.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For the record, a good lens has 7 or 9 curved aperture blades.

And the f/3.4 Super-Angulon-M has a square aperture - still produces great images though. I think that the effect of aperture shape and its propensity to produce starbursts (the 21SEM does so brilliantly as does the 90mm Elmarit-M) depends much on how a lens is used and what its user likes (if bothered at all).