Options of PP without Lightroom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a newbie Leica Q user. I started using my Leica Q just for a couple of days. I got a bit of problem about PP here. So my situation is:

1. I shoot DNG+JEG;

2. I would love to do PP on DNG files;

3. I am always on the go. So the only computer i have with me most of the time, is a Macbook Air, which obviously is not powerful enough for Lightroom;

4. I have enjoyed using Snapseed on my iPhone for years, but apparently DNG files cannot be imported from my Leica Q to iPhone, through the app (Am I right on this one?).

Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Some PP applications usable on a light platform like a Macbook air?

Or some magical way that i can import DNG pictures to my iPhone may be?

Lightroom worked well on my Macbook Air (2011 version), but Luminar and ON1 are good choices as well, as is Photoshop Elements.

Thanks for your advice!

I just realized that it works after i updated MacOS in my Macbook Air.

But speaking of such, i always wonder. Is it better to pay for LR on a subscription basis? Or does it worth more to pay one-off for apps like Luminar or ON1?

Edited by alfredlgj

You can use Lightroom mobile on your phone but I believe Photos app will only import DNG if there are no corresponding JPEGs.

Oh, so what should i do?

Plug the Camera to my laptop, delete the JPG files on the SD card. And then use the iPhone Leica app to import the picture again?

If you can’t configure the camera to not save JPEG.

You only need a quick test to see if you like this workflow. I find it ok when i’m on holiday but prefer the desktop when I’m at home.

I’m very happy with Lightroom subscription service.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your advice!

I just realized that it works after i updated MacOS in my Macbook Air.

But speaking of such, i always wonder. Is it better to pay for LR on a subscription basis? Or does it worth more to pay one-off for apps like Luminar or ON1?

I think these apps are quite good, even compared to Lightroom. They have the advantage of being somewhat more beginner-friendly without losing full functionality. In comparison, I think Lightroom is overhyped. And there s always Capture One. Photoshop Elements is ample for simple editing, with exactly the same algorithms as Lightroom

I don't think the CC subscription is worth it for just LR, one must really be a regular Photoshop user to make it worthwhile.

It didn't say it doesn't work, it is a fine program, especially for more experienced photographers, and used widely - I think the subscription is rather pricey compared to the competition, though.,

The subscription for LR would be pricey if that was all you got. With Photoshop in the package, I find it good value, but it depends on how much you need LR's and PS's capabilities.

On a phone I process only photos taken on the phone, and I use whatever is handy for cropping, straightening and a bit of exposure adjustment ready for posting to the web - Photoshop Express, Snapseed or the built in android apps. I find the screen size too small for anything else. For PP of photos taken with a Leica while travelling I use LR on a Surface Pro, and it is fine (and makes it easy to import to my main desktop catalogue when I get home), but I never use PS. I still do most editing with LR and PS on my desktop with a big screen, which is a whole different world for working with.

I used LR on my wife's MacBook Air while travelling once, before I got the Surface Pro, and it worked fine, but I couldn't handle the infernal Mac system and moved on as soon as I could :)

Edited by LocalHero1953

It didn't say it doesn't work, it is a fine program, especially for more experienced photographers, and used widely - I think the subscription is rather pricey compared to the competition, though.,

One gets LR (2 versions) AND Photoshop for roughly 10 bucks a month. Under the standalone LR plan, I was paying the equivalent of about 7 bucks a month, and that didn’t include all the LR features available through subscription.

LR still offers me the best combo of both editing and file management. Unless the price increases substantially, or cloud storage is mandated, I’m fine as is and consider it fair value compared to other options, none of which is as comprehensive.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you can’t configure the camera to not save JPEG.

You only need a quick test to see if you like this workflow. I find it ok when i’m on holiday but prefer the desktop when I’m at home.

I’m very happy with Lightroom subscription service.

I just tried.

Yes i can configure the camera to shoot with DNG only.

But then apparently, the Leica app on iPhone does NOT import those files. (You can still see it but the import button becomes grey and dysfunctional)

Does this happen to everyone? Or is it just my iPhone is too old for this (iPhone 6s)?

My suggestion was to use the photos app from Apple to import the DNGs then Lightroom on the iPhone to load them into a catalogue and the cloud and develop the dngs. I don’t know the app that comes with the Q.