CL + M135f3.4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day,

Would someone inform me that if there was already some topics on the combination of the new Leica CL with a Leica M 135f3.4 APO lens?   Where to find those thread if there were any?  

Is it a possible combination, or usable in terms of convenient, picture quality etc?   How is that compared with a M135f3.4 on a SL? 

Should be an excellent combination. I haven't tried it yet, as the 55-135 TL leaves nothing to be desired.

The "55-135 TL" is a true 135mm as on 35mm format?   Is the 135f3.4 M lens on the CL becomes about 200mm, or still 135mm in terms of 35mm format? 

The "55-135 TL" is a true 135mm as on 35mm format?   Is the 135f3.4 M lens on the CL becomes about 200mm, or still 135mm in terms of 35mm format? 

A 135 is a 135. Any 135mm on the CL will have the same angle of view. The M135 has a larger image circle so can fill a 24x36mm frame as well as APSC. The L135 covers the APSC frame only and used on a compatible camera (SL) the image will be cropped to APSC.

The M135 is a stop and a half faster though, which can result in shallower DOF/higher shutter speeds/ lower ISO's.

Gordon

I have no idea about the SL but the 135/3.4 apo works perfectly on my M240, digital CL and Sony A7s mod. Here handheld on the CL at f/8 where it behaves like a 200/3.4 due to the crop factor (full size: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2RXfSn5/0/f0d1bb22/O/i-2RXfSn5.jpg). Compared to the TL 55-135, the M 135/3.4 apo is slightly shorter, slimmer and lighter (105 x 59mm, 450g vs 110 x 68mm, 500g) but this zoom lens has an excellent reputation otherwise even if it is not a full frame lens. I have no experience with it though.

i-2RXfSn5-L.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tried it out: An excellent choice, easy focus, and of course Apo-Telyt quality:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Tried it out: An excellent choice, easy focus, and of course Apo-Telyt quality:

attachicon.gif135-1.jpg

attachicon.gif135-2.jpg

Are  those two photos taken with your CL + a 135f3.4 M ?  How is the viewfinder viewing experience, no delay jiggering?    Is there a function for focusing confirmation as well? 

Yes, because of this thread I slipped it on this morning when walking the dogs. A very pleasant experience ( (the lens on the camera, I mean. The dogs are always great :) ) Well balanced, the focus throw is just right, the plane of focus easy to see in the viewfinder. I use the handgrip.

No focus confirmation, but (with the right adapter) focus magnification (right wheel) and if desired focus peaking, which I avoid as an unnecessary distraction. The EVF has no issues, it is one of the best on the market.

Actually I was thinking of selling the lens, as it is completely redundant - I have six 135-s (Hektor, 2x Elmar, Tele-Elmar, Apo-Telyt, and now TL 55-135 :o , but a little niggle of doubt has crept in today.. :unsure:

• Like 1

[...] How is the viewfinder viewing experience, no delay jiggering? [...]

There is indeed some EVF lag in low light, when using slower apertures than f/2.8 mainly, more so than with my Sony A7s or Fuji X-E2 for instance, but it is not a problem in good light or at f/1.4 or f/2 in low light in my experience. I don't shoot a lot in low light though so take what i say with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

Yes, because of this thread I slipped it on this morning when walking the dogs. A very pleasant experience ( (the lens on the camera, I mean. The dogs are always great :) ) Well balanced, the focus throw is just right, the plane of focus easy to see in the viewfinder. I use the handgrip.

No focus confirmation, but (with the right adapter) focus magnification (right wheel) and if desired focus peaking, which I avoid as an unnecessary distraction. The EVF has no issues, it is one of the best on the market. 

That means a 200mm focal length at a relatively very small package?  (particular compared with the SL, or a 180 ~ 200 range lens on the R-system before)   And the M10 could not have a 200, unless puts on a R 180mm type of lens on, but still a lot more bulk?   

[...] And the M10 could not have a 200, unless puts on a R 180mm type of lens on, but still a lot more bulk?   

Closer comparo would be with the Telyt-R 180/3.4 which is significantly taller (135 vs 105mm), heavier (750 vs 450g) with a 2.5m vs 1.5m MFD let alone that it needs a larger adapter. Great lens though.

• Like 1

That means a 200mm focal length at a relatively very small package?  (particular compared with the SL, or a 180 ~ 200 range lens on the R-system before)   And the M10 could not have a 200, unless puts on a R 180mm type of lens on, but still a lot more bulk?   

Yes, it is 200 mm equivalent on an APS-C sensor, and it is really compact. The same goes for the 55-135 TL, which is a bit heavier and larger, but not dramatically so.

There is indeed some EVF lag in low light, when using slower apertures than f/2.8 mainly, more so than with my Sony A7s or Fuji X-E2 for instance, but it is not a problem in good light or at f/1.4 or f/2 in low light in my experience. I don't shoot a lot in low light though so take what i say with a pinch of salt.

An EVF will never be as good as an optical viewfinder in really low light, but it has an advantage in amplifying the signal and giving a brighter view at the tradeoff of quality. I doubt whether one would be using an 135/3.4 lens in such light, the shutterspeed would not allow handholding. On a tripod there would not be a problem with image movement in the EVF ;).

How would be your feeling (the whole handling etc... ) compared the use of this 135f3.4 with a CL, or the 135f3.4 with a M10 ?  

I do not have either, thinking should concentrate the funds to eventually get a M10, or meanwhile have a CL ... 

It will be much easier to use on the CL, despite having a more narrow angle of view (which may be an advantage as well) and the image results will not be much apart. In general, given a similar sensor quality, a smaller sensor is preferable for longer focal lengths. At this length, an EVF is much easier to master than a rangefinder.

It will be much easier to use on the CL, despite having a more narrow angle of view (which may be an advantage as well) and the image results will not be much apart. In general, given a similar sensor quality, a smaller sensor is preferable for longer focal lengths. At this length, an EVF is much easier to master than a rangefinder.

So this combination of the 135f3.4 on a CL, is somewhat like an experience with a R camera with a 180mm lens combo and feeling? 

Not really.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Is it also a relatively  okay (or good?) solution (R lenses + CL) for those still wanting to use "R lenses"  as a lower cost "R solution"?  

Edited by yst