Grey market?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And that law is written in accordance with EU regulations.

But EU consumer law does not apply to goods purchased outside the EU, nor indeed to products sourced within the EU by a reseller who has already bought from an manufacturer's 'authorised' EU dealer. A few years ago I sat in on a court case brought by a friend who had purchased a faulty photographic item from an EU country which he proved to have been a 'grey' import. The manufacturer in the UK refused to honour the warranty because the reseller was not authorised and they obviously took the view that the item was secondhand in the most literal and obvious sense - bought from someone who had bought from an authorised reseller - so not 'new'. The judge agreed and the dealer was liable for any repair costs but decided to reimburse the cost of the item instead.

Lens caps are a blast from the past, when they were used as a shutter for plate cameras (where you had to stick your head under a black shroud while composing the shot).

Take caps off when you remove your gear from your camera bag and replace them at the end of the day.  It doesn't take long to clean dust from the front element with a microfibre cloth on your return to base. 

• Like 1

Take caps off when you remove your gear from your camera bag and replace them at the end of the day

...and don't bother with a rider's helmet, or seatbelts, forget the condoms, forget the vaccinations, go ahead and drink well water, always go for the street food. 

I'll pass on that advice.  ;)

Lens caps are a blast from the past, when they were used as a shutter for plate cameras (where you had to stick your head under a black shroud while composing the shot).

Take caps off when you remove your gear from your camera bag and replace them at the end of the day.  It doesn't take long to clean dust from the front element with a microfibre cloth on your return to base. 

And a scratch or two won't affect image quality, just add some interesting flare.... :)  :rolleyes:

But EU consumer law does not apply to goods purchased outside the EU, nor indeed to products sourced within the EU by a reseller who has already bought from an manufacturer's 'authorised' EU dealer. A few years ago I sat in on a court case brought by a friend who had purchased a faulty photographic item from an EU country which he proved to have been a 'grey' import. The manufacturer in the UK refused to honour the warranty because the reseller was not authorised and they obviously took the view that the item was secondhand in the most literal and obvious sense - bought from someone who had bought from an authorised reseller - so not 'new'. The judge agreed and the dealer was liable for any repair costs but decided to reimburse the cost of the item instead.

Yes, it does. The Leica factory has Gerichtsstand Frankfurt (IIRC), which means any legal matter gets judged in Germany according to German law. German law applies outside German borders. It is illegal in all EU countries to refuse guaranty on a second-hand item, as long as proof of original purchase can be produced. The warranty is on the item, not on the buyer. It is correct, however, that the original sales contract is with the dealer, so he is the first party to be held liable. The factory is the second party in the chain. You will notice, however, when you open a Leica box, that it contains a worldwide factory warranty. Thus Leica will extend guaranty as a first party if the gear is sent directly to the factory.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...and don't bother with a rider's helmet, or seatbelts, forget the condoms, forget the vaccinations, go ahead and drink well water, always go for the street food. 

I'll pass on that advice.  ;)

Oddyl funny items to put on a lens, however I would add a protective filter.  

Yes, it does. The Leica factory has Gerichtsstand Frankfurt (IIRC), which means any legal matter gets judged in Germany according to German law. [...]

As i suggested above, in EU law, the applicable national law is that of the consumer's country normally. So German law yes if the consumer resides in Germany, otherwise it will be the French law if yours truly is the said consumer and the German court will have to apply said French law for that matter accordingly. Now there would be little chance that the German court is seized in my case because in EU law, the competent jurisdiction is that of the consumer's country normally.

• 9 months later...