ROM

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have listed a 3-cam Apo-Telyt-R 4.0/280mm for sale and a potential buyer wondered why I have not converted it to ROM. For me using the lens it accounts for precisely zero but does anyone know if Leica still converts 3-cam lenses to ROM and what they charge?

The simple answer is: because it is virtually meaningless on film cameras and not worth the money for digital ones - if they even can use the ROM.

I agree with you, Jaap, but the potential buyer wanted a 750 € discount since the lens is uncoded. 

Ivar, I don't think this is excessive even for a non ROM lens. I would politely decline the offer. Certainly I would sell it as is and not attempt conversion. I do think ROM lenses are worth it on an R8/9 though.

• Like 1

It may appear that the prospective buyer was a dealer who wanted this lens for resale. I saw he already had one for sale for more than twice my asking price, albeit in mint condition and ROM.

Ivar,

I bought my 280/4 APO-Telyt-R a few years ago for considerably more than you're offering yours and I still keep a check on the prices in the event that I might decide to part with it at some stage.  I haven't seen any sold at as low a price as you're offering yours for so the potential buyer who wants a €750 discount is being disingenuous in my opinion.

I use ROM lenses with my SL, Leica M-Adaptor-T and Leica R-Adaptor-M and the ROM does not transfer through to the SL to allow it to automatically identify the lens so the ROM is of very limited use nowadays I think.  (I don't use a Leica R-Adaptor-L that might perhaps transfer ROM lens identity - I just don't know.)

Pete.

I use ROM lenses with my SL, Leica M-Adaptor-T and Leica R-Adaptor-M and the ROM does not transfer through to the SL to allow it to automatically identify the lens so the ROM is of very limited use nowadays I think.  (I don't use a Leica R-Adaptor-L that might perhaps transfer ROM lens identity - I just don't know.)

Yes, it does.

• Like 1

I bought my 280/4 APO-Telyt-R a few years ago for considerably more than you're offering yours and I still keep a check on the prices in the event that I might decide to part with it at some stage.  I haven't seen any sold at as low a price as you're offering yours for so the potential buyer who wants a €750 discount is being disingenuous in my opinion.

Same experience here, same resulting opinion.

And I've never noticed the mount type making much of a difference in price.

• Like 1

Ivar,

Pete.

Pete,

Confirming that the Leica R-Adapter-L (Leica R-Adapter-T) DOES transfer the lens info to the SL.  What it does not do, and I think that, for US$750.00, it should, is close the auto-diaphragm!  Very unfortunate.

(Leica, are you listening?)

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Ivar,

I only consider R-lenses with ROM as I use them on my SL and I like to have the lens information stored with the pictures. So I see the point of the potential buyer, but not the point of the discount as you have listed the lens as 3-cam...

Arne