Favourite inkjet papers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd be interested to know what inkjet papers are used by those here who print their work, particularly if anyone has experience of the lesser-known mills.

My workflow is hybrid; black and white negative (Delta 100, Silvermax 100 & T-Max 100), C41 colour (Portra 160 & 400 and Ektar) and Velvia 50 film, processed & scanned by myself.  My most used papers, depending on subject, are Fotospeed Platinum Baryta, Platinum Etching 285 and Smooth Cotton 300.

Epson Traditional Paper for both color and B/W. It’s a baryth kind of paper.

+1. Although we know it as "Traditional" in Europe, I think the same paper has a different name in the US.

In the US it is Epson Exhibition Fiber Gloss. I also use it exclusively, for "final" prints (the regular, cheaper Premium Gloss and Luster are fine for snapshots, handouts and "artist's proofs").

I used the very similar (but cheaper) Moab Colorado Fiber Gloss until it was discontinued (and it was never made in 17" x 22", which has become my "minimum" size for gallery prints (if not larger roll paper)).

For a while I used the Harman Fiber Gloss Baryta, which was the best of the bunch (made by Ilford UK, not to be confused with the Swiss "Ilford" inkjet papers.) But it disappeared from local markets - it lived on for a while as a "by Hahnemühle" product, but even that is no longer available. Very heavy base, with an emulsion that was thicker and "deeper" and glossier than the Epson/Moab papers - probably run off the same coating machines as Harman/Ilford's chemical photo papers. Virtually no bronzing or "gloss differential" with Epson pigment inks. Nice while it lasted.

As you can tell, I like getting as close as possible to a air-dried glossy double-weight silver print, even for color. I don't use matte papers, because 1) the lint and "fuzz" means more printer cleaning, and 2) Arlo Guthrie didn't write a song about "twenty-seven 8x10 color matte photos, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was." ;)

https://genius.com/Arlo-guthrie-alices-restaurant-massacree-lyrics

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a while I used the Harman Fiber Gloss Baryta, which was the best of the bunch (made by Ilford UK, not to be confused with the Swiss "Ilford" inkjet papers.) But it disappeared from local markets - it lived on for a while as a "by Hahnemühle" product, but even that is no longer available. Very heavy base, with an emulsion that was thicker and "deeper" and glossier than the Epson/Moab papers - probably run off the same coating machines as Harman/Ilford's chemical photo papers. Virtually no bronzing or "gloss differential" with Epson pigment inks. Nice while it lasted.

If this is the paper you were referring to, it remains in stock, at least through B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=hahnemuehl%20gloss%20baryta&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=.) But its availability seems a bit precarious. B&H was selling 19" sheets and the 24" rolls at  half price about a month ago, and I stocked up. I came to the deal through another who indicated that this was a close-out in anticipation of the paper disappearing from the market. When I revisited B&H, the price was back to normal, which I assume means availability is as well.

I agree with your assessment of the paper and how lovely it works up with Epson inks, in my case, a venerable 7800, especially in B&W. My only gripe is the canned profile  which yields sub-optimal results in color. Did you have a custom one made? 

Well, second gripe. It has a very fragile surface. After printing I made the mistake of gently dusting the surface with a fine static brush - and it left small lesions that killed the print.

To the OP, I have to say that I have made and sold many fine prints made with  Epson Premium Semi-gloss, which costs about 25% of the Hahnemuehl option. No client has ever asked what the paper was or seemed to care. At the risk of heresy, I think that most of what practically differentiates papers evaporates once a print is put under glass. To be sure, in the hand, there is a demonstrable, tactile difference between the two which one would expect given the 50% difference in weight. And that has a visceral value. I would suggest getting a box of the Epson paper, print up some images, buy a small box of Hahnemuehl Gloss Baryta and make a few test prints, study them, put them under glass, walk away, have a drink, return to the prints and think about the coinage difference.

Good luck. Nothing like seeing one's work done "real."

David

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 1