Focus Stacking

Thc879

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would support for automated focus stacking such as setting a near focus point and a far focus point and the number of exposures be something that Leica could add to the firmware of the SL or would that require design changes to the hardware? This would be a great feature if they could do it.

• Like 1

AF lenses have focusing element moved with stepper motor, this is device that allows fine linear motion, so all the hardware for focus stacking is already in place.  What would be needed is {a] either change in Leica mind set or big market pressure, change in FW or [c] skip a & b and buy Nikon D850.

• Like 2

Leica's mindset traditionally has been focusing on the essentials. Focus stacking is a highly specialized feature indispensable in macro photography, but less then necessary elsewhere. Besides, even in macro, for the best results, stacking requires photographer's attention.

why not simply use this ?

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-articles/helicon-remote-making-focus-stacking-precise-and-foolproof-by-paul-harcourt-davies/

Would support for automated focus stacking such as setting a near focus point and a far focus point and the number of exposures be something that Leica could add to the firmware of the SL or would that require design changes to the hardware? This would be a great feature if they could do it.

To get stacked image you need, as a minimum, to produce multiple images with slight focus increment.  Link does not provide any advice on compatible cameras/lenses.

Edited by mmradman

this is only for macro use and only available for NikCan.... I use D850 for landscape focus stacking which is the main reason why I sometimes take that setup instead of SL on trips for landscape use; much easier and faster than manual focus stacking (which is obviously available).

• Like 1

I would really like this for landscape photography. There are times when going to f16 or less just isn’t enough or the best way to get the best image. On the other hand I am sure there is a fixed amount of nonvolatile memory in the SL to store the firmware and don’t know if there would be enough available to add a fairly complex feature like focus stacking.

I use Cognisys Stackshot for the purpose; however, camera control cable for Leica are not available and have to modify a Leica remote release cable in using the Stackshot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I don’t know if Leica reads these posts or not, but it would be great if they would at least consider adding some support for focus stacking to the SL firmware.

Lets hope they do.  

Maybe excuse would be that no dedicated L mount full frame AF macro lens exist yet.

• Like 1

AF lenses have focusing element moved with stepper motor, this is device that allows fine linear motion, so all the hardware for focus stacking is already in place.  What would be needed is {a] either change in Leica mind set or big market pressure, change in FW or [c] skip a & b and buy Nikon D850.

It would be nice if Leica opened up the API for App development.  This seems like a straightforward feature to implement in an iOS/Android app.

this is only for macro use and only available for NikCan.... I use D850 for landscape focus stacking which is the main reason why I sometimes take that setup instead of SL on trips for landscape use; much easier and faster than manual focus stacking (which is obviously available).

Not really. Panasonic has post-focus and focus stacking using 4K. Leica does have access to the technology.

I use a Cognisys system for focus stacking and the Helicon software afterwards. All these things were bought for a Canon camera together with Canon Macro lenses. And the workflow was very comfortable with all these things together. In case of need I can use all of them with my SL - the macro lenses are adapted with a novoflex adapter. But unfortunately there is one restriction. In contrary to Canon, Nikon and other systems there exists no cable for automatic releasing the shutter for the SL. Cognisys has told me, that because of technical reasons they are not able to deliver one. Therefore I have to release the shutter for each step - which ist possible - for every camera - including the Ms - but less comfortable.

P.S. It is a shame, that Leica has  no own native Macro lens for the SL - not even in the road map - at least according to my knowledge.

Edited by HeinzX

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2018 at 12:58 AM, HeinzX said:

I use a Cognisys system for focus stacking and the Helicon software afterwards. All these things were bought for a Canon camera together with Canon Macro lenses. And the workflow was very comfortable with all these things together. In case of need I can use all of them with my SL - the macro lenses are adapted with a novoflex adapter. But unfortunately there is one restriction. In contrary to Canon, Nikon and other systems there exists no cable for automatic releasing the shutter for the SL. Cognisys has told me, that because of technical reasons they are not able to deliver one. Therefore I have to release the shutter for each step - which ist possible - for every camera - including the Ms - but less comfortable.

P.S. It is a shame, that Leica has  no own native Macro lens for the SL - not even in the road map - at least according to my knowledge.

Buy a 120-APO-S and adapter.  Then you can get all those lovely S lenses cheap since you have the adapter.  It's a great setup. I also use the 100 APO-R in a pinch, such as needing to use the APO Elpro for 1:1 reproduction.

Dean 

• Thanks 1

Here are a couple of shots made using Helicon.  SL (601) and 100mm R f2.8 macro. Camera mounted on an ISHOOT macro focusing rail 150. The lens was set at f2.8 (to through as much of the background out of focus as possible)  and a magnification ratio of 1:2.

For both I images found the far and near points for sharp focus using the magnification facility in the viewfinder, and noted the position using the mm scale on the rail. They were about 40mm apart.

This article gives a step calculator http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/ For f.2.8 it suggests a step of 0.091mm.  As one rotation of the screw moves the whole camera and lens 1mm  the closest I can get by hand is about 0.15mm interval by making 8 steps per revolution with an exposure each.

Starting at one end using a remote control I made 352 exposures for the first image and 314 for the second.  Stacked using Helicon Focus 7 then minor post processing adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop to tone down some highlights and improve texture.  The exposures were made in the evening when the wind had died and the flowers were still - any slight twitching in the wind leads to ghost edges in the stack.

It is somewhat tedious and care and consistency are needed.  What is crucial is the image must not move, which makes outdoor shots very difficult to accomplish.  I've still got a lot of learning to do!!!

Take care and stay well everyone,

Graeme

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hey, 

i just found out that the Leica sl2s has follow focus for video. 
to me it does not make any sense that the video mode can do this and the photo mode can’t. 
i Hope they introduce this feature. 
And by the way this does not clutter up the menu system. 

the other suggestion would be:

make an advanced menu for people that need features that need them or think they need them. We can call it „pro“ oder „adv“menu. 

this menu would also be nice in the „photos“ app. For me as Timelapse photographer it’s limiting not be be able to bramp my timelapses. 
Yes I know Incan do this with other cameras and other software, but I want to do it with these lenses and this sensor. 

what do you think? 

This is not only for macro work.  It can become invaluable for landscape to have the near, mid, and distance zones all tack sharp.  Coupled with sensor shifting this would kill the need for the Hasselblad X1d or the Fujifilm 100 Mpix bodies.  Just may $0.02

The lack of this feature is the only thing preventing me from purchasing the SL2 now.

Edited by Bob Hartung