The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Farewell to the 135 APO-Telyt-M

Telyt 135

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#161 Ronazle

Ronazle

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • City / Ort:Rural in vicinity of Fort Worth

Posted 12 May 2018 - 17:07

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I think many would like to buy the 135 mm APO Telyt M but when it comes to the cash outlay another lens will take precedence; this of course results in a sales problem. Said problem is antagonized by the fact that the non-APO predecessors, especially the Tele-Elmar are really excellent and available at bargain prices. It appears that digital has sort of killed the new 135mm market. Golly gee, what am I to do with my really long lenses?  Regards, Ron

#162 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 16,719 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 19:11

[...] It appears that digital has sort of killed the new 135mm market. [...]

Pretty well the opposite for me. 135mm lenses did sell hardly in the film days and mine had little use then but now i can use them on mirrorless cameras which rejuvenates those lenses IMHO.

• adan, Jeffry Abt and JSU said thank you to this

#163 Keith (M)

Keith (M)

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 4,394 posts
  • City / Ort:N Wilts UK

Posted 12 May 2018 - 20:51

Pretty well the opposite for me. 135mm lenses did sell hardly in the film days and mine had little use then but now i can use them on mirrorless cameras which rejuvenates those lenses IMHO.

Indeed - bought a Sony A6500 (APS-C) earlier this year and the combination of excellent EVF, focus-peaking and IBIS make the 135 APO very easy to use (and equiv to 202mm).

Attached Files

Edited by Keith (M), 12 May 2018 - 20:59.

• ianman and tgdinamo said thank you to this

#164 pico

pico

Sponsoring Canine

• Premium Member
  • 16,616 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • City / Ort:Winona

Posted 12 May 2018 - 21:05

[...] The biggest barrier was Mrs Gobert. It’s her money as well....

My mate and I have an arrangement. What is her's is her's. What's mine is her's, too. Seriously. I signed over my estate minus debt (which is zero). It makes life so simple.

#165 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 16,719 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 21:07

[...] Golly gee, what am I to do with my really long lenses?

Pretty sure there are superb things to show in Texas. Or little things like those new fig leaves in Normandy (CL, 135/3.4). 

i-fb4hQ5X-L.jpg

• Peter Kilmister, tgdinamo and onasj said thank you to this

#166 Gobert

Gobert

La Passione Passa dal Cuore

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationArnhem, The Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2018 - 21:15

My mate and I have an arrangement. What is her's is her's. What's mine is her's, too. Seriously. I signed over my estate minus debt (which is zero). It makes life so simple.

I always convince her. Let’s start the search for the SEM 18!

#167 graphlex

graphlex

Benutzer

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 00:35

[quote name="adan" post="3512396" timestamp="1525404739"]The bottom line is the bottom line.

It does not matter how "good" a product is - it only matters that it sells enough that it makes enough profit, at the price it can sell at. Or at the very least is a "killer app lens" that enhances sales and profits of cameras or other gear.

Leica 135's have always been on the bubble (subject to elimination). The 90TE "thin" was conceived in 1972 as a lens that, with a 1.5x converter, could replace the 135 lenses. The only thing that prevented the 135 going the way of the dinosaur 45 years ago was the 90 + 1.5x image quality was too poor.

1.5x converter for an M camera? Was it ever produced?

#168 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 51,076 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 13 May 2018 - 00:48

No. The only one known is the  Komura 2x conveter. Works better than expected, but still not superior to cropping.

• graphlex said thank you to this

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

If you're not right... turn left.

#169 Ronazle

Ronazle

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • City / Ort:Rural in vicinity of Fort Worth

Posted 13 May 2018 - 13:42

I will clarify slightly. When we were shooting Super XX that had really large grain the use of a good telephoto was far, far  superior to cropping. All one has to do to verify this early usage is to look at the remaining number(s) of Elmar telephotos in the 135mm configuration. Qualitative increases in film quality (i.e., finegrain) contributed to the decreased need for a 135mm on a rangefinder camera; digital resolution, in my opinion, is essentially a further extension thereof inre to the 135mm.  Leica going to a shorter base rangefinder did nothing to improve the situation (early M v. present M).

My comment on really long lenses was hyperbole. Regards, Ron

#170 Herr Barnack

Herr Barnack

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 13 May 2018 - 13:58

Erwin Puts has contributed a lot and has often given his work freely.

I have valued, benefited and found a lot of interest in his writing, as have many others.

To try and start a witch hunt over this is pathetic.

100% agreement over here. 

I'm not sure what the cause of this gaffe was, but I'm willing to chalk it up to being a mistake and let it go at that.

It seems to me that it is small minded to revel in feasting on the miscues of others.

Edited by Herr Barnack, 13 May 2018 - 14:04.

• Gobert said thank you to this

#171 pgk

pgk

Photographer

• Members
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 13 May 2018 - 15:37

I'm not sure what the cause of this gaffe was, but I'm willing to chalk it up to being a mistake and let it go at that.

Agreed. But whatever the reason was for the story, it does raise the question of the economic viability of the 135mm focal length as an M lens. Older versions are very cheap (and far from bad lenses), newer versions are still available in the very low hundreds (of €, £ or $). Used E46 versions of the pre-APO are very reasonably priced for a Leica M lens and the APOs themselves don't seem to appear on the used market in large numbers. Is this focal length simply not an economic viability at the high new price for an APO I wonder, or will the market support small, periodic batches? Has anyone here actually bought a 135mm M lens new?

Paul

www.marinewildlife.co.uk

"Procrastination is the thief of time" - Edward Young from "Night thoughts" 1742-1745 - no forums then!

#172 Herr Barnack

Herr Barnack

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 13 May 2018 - 16:05

...Has anyone here actually bought a 135mm M lens new?

I would if I had an extra $4K on hand. 

In his posts about using the 135/3.4 APO, onasj has certainly made a compelling case for the Telyt-M:  https://www.l-camera...10-135-apo-rip/

Edited by Herr Barnack, 13 May 2018 - 16:08.

#173 pgk

pgk

Photographer

• Members
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 13 May 2018 - 18:29

My none-APO E46 135mm lens produces extremely good images though and I don't think that I would change it unless I really needed to use this focal length wide open. If I really did a 135mm f/2 and dSLR body would be as/more competent for much less money. Hence my query.

Paul

www.marinewildlife.co.uk

"Procrastination is the thief of time" - Edward Young from "Night thoughts" 1742-1745 - no forums then!

#174 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 51,076 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 13 May 2018 - 18:33

Has anyone here actually bought a 135mm M lens new?

Somebody must have. Otherwise they would not be available second-hand.

• Ronazle and efreed2754 said thank you to this

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

If you're not right... turn left.

#175 Musotographer

Musotographer

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationUK
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 13 May 2018 - 18:47

Slightly tangentially - I've started using my Tele Elmar-M 135 f4 for portraits quite a lot and really like it. Does anyone have experience of it AND the Elmarit-R 135 f2.8 with it's extra stop wide open, and can that extra stop with it's shallower plane of focus make much difference to the drawing of a portrait? I usually use the EVF in this context, so it really doesn't matter that the R demands using Live View only. Thanks.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic