Farewell to the 135 APO-Telyt-M

Tailwagger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Because he's grown weary of digital? Pretty low, even by the standards of this forum of late.

Not for that reason. He’s all over the place.... angry, rambling, etc....far more than usual. And constantly reworking his site, combining and/or deleting text. The latest post deletion regarding the 135 and the error regarding frame lines are unusual. Seemingly emotional and erratic to me. Beyond usual verbosity and strong opinion.

I greatly respect his knowledge and contributions. But his site and blog have seemed weird to me lately. Excuse the phrasing ‘on meds’.... meant only as erratic.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Erwin Puts has contributed a lot and has often given his work freely.

I have valued, benefited and found a lot of interest in his writing, as have many others.

To try and start a witch hunt over this is pathetic.

Well, the term "witch hunt" sounds pathetic for me.

Though it certainly fits into a pattern of using the internet to spread statements which are not true. 

There is a proverb in German: Those said to be „discontinued“ live longer.

WELL SAID !!!  Long Life to 135 !!! Old but wise focal, like an elephant :p

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(TE, not ApoTelyt, indeed… ;) )

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 7

Ralp Gibson's last book, Vertical Horizon, was shot with the 135mm f /3.4 Apo-Telyt-M on a Leica M10.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

His work is distinguished by a subtle fusion of content and form, the distinctive relationship between surfaces and lines, and the perfect application of shadow and light.

Funnily enough, so is my work.
  • Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I had the 3.4 APO when they first came out, but sold it shortly thereafter.  As is the case with all the APO and ASPH M lenses I owned, my only regret is having sold them before their prices skyrocketed.  I have a V.1 T-E which I found hardly distinguishable from the APO in any use I put it to.  Ditto it's predecessor the f/4 Elmar which I also own.  Tbh there were quite a number of excellent 135mm lenses made in LTM from various manufactures.  So the discontinuation of the APO is not going to impact my use of that focal length.  That said, with the 24MP sensor in the M240 I can crop a 90mm shot to 135mm FOV and still end up with a file the size of a full-frame shot from my previous M9.  In fact the only reason I ever carry a 135 is with the intention of cropping to 180mm FOV, but honestly I have cropped 90 shots 2X with quite good results at normal print sizes. 

• Like 1

Mmmm - 24 Mpixels cropped by 1.5x (e.g. 90 cropped to 135) reduces a 4000 x 6000 picture to 2666 x 4000 pixels, which is 10.6 megapixels. M9 full-frame is 18 megapixels. But the M8 was 10 Mpixels, so that's certainly still "good enough" for many uses.

You have to remember that pixels fill a surface area, so you have to square2 the linear cropping proportion to calculate the remaining pixels after a crop. 24/(1.5 x 1.5) = 24/2.25 = 10.668.

I agree the 135 TE has 95% (or more) of the 135 APO performance - the main reason for the creation of the APO f/3.4 was to simplify the lineup by "averaging" the f/4 TE and f/2.8 EM into a single lens, rather than exotically better imaging.

• Like 1