Farewell to the 135 APO-Telyt-M

Tailwagger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, brand new APO Telyt arrived from Adorama.

Didn't know what to expect, figuring the lens was probably a low volume seller and this could possibly have been on Adorama's shelf for a while.

Low and behold, the date on the outer box is 2/28/2018, serial number 4640061 so it is a very, very recent construction item.

Initial impressions are, I am quite impressed. Aperture action is that light, almost click-less "feel" (some will like, others not) very similar to the 75mm f2 APO Summicron. Focus is beautiful and the first few snaps with an M262 fitted with the 1.4x magnifier, manual focus at 5, 10 feet and infinity looks spot on. Marked "62" to the right of the infinity and feet/meters mark, so it's actually rated as 136.2mm.

Now I just need to get out and shoot the heck out of it.

:) +1 … (to be precise, I had to write "MY new APO Telyt"... is not brand new… ;) )

well, the philology of serial numbers is a discipline more applied to historical batches… :p  but the mix of "rumors" and your date + s/n could suggest that items to 4640100 are in the shelves ov various dealers around the world… and in Wetzlar they are quietly planning if and when launch the next batch in production… B)

With the 135mm Telyt, my "bought all new" outfit is filled out with the M262, 21mm Super Elmar, 35mm f1.4 FLE and 75mm f2.4 Summarit.

A few test files I fired off after work, walking the downtown streets in the 90+ degree heat of the late afternoon with my M262 and the 1.4x magnifier attached to the finder..

L1031684-X2.jpg

L1031701-X2.jpg

L1031721-X2.jpg

L1031722-X2.jpg

L1031713-X2.jpg

L1031671-X2.jpg

L1031723-X2.jpg

L1031695-X2.jpg

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 6

Well, brand new APO Telyt arrived from Adorama.

Didn't know what to expect, figuring the lens was probably a low volume seller and this could possibly have been on Adorama's shelf for a while.

Low and behold, the date on the outer box is 2/28/2018, serial number 4640061 so it is a very, very recent construction item.

Initial impressions are, I am quite impressed. Aperture action is that light, almost click-less "feel" (some will like, others not) very similar to the 75mm f2 APO Summicron. Focus is beautiful and the first few snaps with an M262 fitted with the 1.4x magnifier, manual focus at 5, 10 feet and infinity looks spot on. Marked "62" to the right of the infinity and feet/meters mark, so it's actually rated as 136.2mm.

Now I just need to get out and shoot the heck out of it.

Congratulations! I bought mine years ago to round out my modest collection of M lenses. It's turning out to be my most used lens when it comes to landscape, portraiture, and in some cases even street photography. Its performance both on the M and SL is nothing short of stellar. I think it's the most underrated lens, together with the 24/3.8 Elmar, among the current M lenses.

An image of the completed "system" below. After some careful trial, I'm dropping the use of the 1.4x magnifier to use with the 135. It drops rangefinder contrast enough to negate any size advantage for my eyesite and, worse, in bright light can almost cause you to lose sight of the finder hash marks, even if one has the lines set to the red color.

P5310001-X2.jpg

• Like 6

Good set-up. Same as mine (21/35/75/135) except that I generally use much older Mandler versions (75 Summarit is too "unique" to pass up, though), and substitute a 28/50 as a change of pace, if I get bored with the 35/75.

Good set-up. Same as mine (21/35/75/135) except that I generally use much older Mandler versions (75 Summarit is too "unique" to pass up, though), and substitute a 28/50 as a change of pace, if I get bored with the 35/75.

I have on top a 90 and a 50. I can miss the 90, but there is a constant battle between 35 and 50. I can’t miss either.

and a FOG bag too!

Yeah, black on black b-minor. All the bags I’ve tried, it’s the best, most versatile for this system. Custom ordered through Tamarkin. Can easily carry all that plus a second body, batteries, etc.

Of note - this being the first Friday in June, the Art District held its monthly "Art Walk" this evening. I sold four pictures at the gallery. Three of those were made with the 135 TE on M9 - or the nearest M8 equivalent (90mm, which equals "120mm" on the M8 sensor). The fourth was with the 21mm/M9.

"Leica don't take my 135,

Leica don't take my 135,

Leica don't take my 135 a-wayyyaway!"

- Apologies to Paul Simon's Kodachrome. ;)

• Like 2

I don’t see what it would benefit Leica to skip the 135mm framelines if they discontinue the lens; I’d rather guess it would cost some to leave them out. They’ve always promoted the idea of using their M lenses from 1950 or so on. Personally I have never found the 3.4 a very strong competitor for the Tele-Elmar 4.0, which has the additional advantage of the separate head to use with visoflex etc.

A few test shots, some at closer, medium and longer distances and many shot wide open at f3.4 with the 135mm f3.4 APO Telyt on the M-P240, using the E-VF2 focus focus/composition and exposure setting. It's a slower process, but the image quality really looks to be worth the effort.

L1012008-X2.jpg

L1012011-X2.jpg

L1011972-X2.jpg

L1011979-X2.jpg

L1011983-X2.jpg

L1011990-X2.jpg

L1012007-X2.jpg

L1012010-X2.jpg

L1012018-X2.jpg

L1012023-X2.jpg

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 2

Some lovely shots in this thread. Last night I shot the 135 APO on a A7riii under challenging lighting and it performed superbly.

But someone should really retitle this thread—the title is fake news as the 135 is NOT discontinued :)

• Like 1

Greg, that last picture reminds me of the scene in You Only Live Twice, where James Bond, having dispatched a heavy in a Tokyo office fistfight, stumbles to the drinks cabinet, grabs the first bottle he sees, takes a swig, gags, looks at the label and coughs, "SIAMESE vodka??!"

"TEXAS vodka??!"

• Like 1

Greg, that last picture reminds me of the scene in You Only Live Twice, where James Bond, having dispatched a heavy in a Tokyo office fistfight, stumbles to the drinks cabinet, grabs the first bottle he sees, takes a swig, gags, looks at the label and coughs, "SIAMESE vodka??!"

"TEXAS vodka??!"

Oh hell yes Texas Vodka. We’ve got a drove of new distilleries here now. They make just about everything.

• Like 1

"TEXAS vodka??!"

You’re in Colorado? Plenty of vodka made there, too, some to acclaim...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-11-06/the-best-vodka-in-the-world-is-in-colorado/amp

Jeff

• Like 1

135mm f3.4 APO Telyt on the М(240)

135mm f3.4 APO Telyt on the М(240)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3