Man Down

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took my Q with me on vacation to NYC for very first time and on the 2nd day of the trip I had a heart attack (figuratively speaking).  I was in hotel room getting ready to head out to the city in order to let my Q run wild and I grabbed my camera bag with my Q in it but I did not realize that the main compartment door was not fully locked closed until I put the camera bag across my shoulders and the Q fell out onto the hotel room floor.  The Q fell from around 3 feet to the floor but since the floor had carpet I didn't panic and just pick it up.  I had the lens hood, lens cover and Lim's half case with metal grip attached to it at the time and nothing was damaged, not even a ding since it fell onto carpet; however, when I turned it on I got the System O.I.S error.  Every time I turned it off and back on again it worked normally but after 1-2 minutes I would display the error message.  I contacted Leica repair, which so happened to be in New Jersey, and after trying the methods they recommended to try and save the Q I was told that I needed to send it in for assessment.   This is the first time ever (knock on wood) dropping a camera and I guess I learned how delicate they are especially the Q even at 3 feet onto carpet.

I sent the Q in right away since I was there in order to save on shipping.  Luckily I had brought along my Sony point and shoot with me and I was able to somewhat enjoy the rest of my vacation even though my Q was down.  

The Q is currently with Leica and I am waiting anxiously to hear back to see if they can save my baby. 

Rotten luck, and I assume the camera must have struck the rug in the camera's most vulnerable point, though I have no idea what that is - I've had drops with my Q but have not had any problems.

I hope you get it back soon.

By the way:  Should we wish you a happy birthday in 50 days?

Absolutely sorry to hear this. It can easily happen to anyone.

I retired 10 years ago and treated myself to a road trip and extended stay camping in Yosemite. On the third day I was in Death Valley and got my camera (Canon 5D) out and hooked to tripod. Put it on my shoulder and the camera fell onto pavement and rolled about 10 feet. Shattered the lens. Totally panic’d me. I replaced the lens and amazingly the camera still worked. A lesson learned. What hurts, instructs!

Super good luck getting your Q repaired.

Like when I was learning to fly tail-dragger airplanes, the old timers would say: There are only two types: those that have been ground looped and those that will be.

Edited by Infiniumguy

I hope you carry insurance. Even if the camera looks unharmed, internal damage can be quite severe - and might  be costly. Just like a human being, really.

I hope you have your camera back soon, and in perfect shape.

• Like 1

You had bad luck. I've heard lots of stories of cameras taking only mild drops and having severe damage, but have also heard lots of them being egregiously abused and continuing to work just fine. I have abused mine severely, never any problems, but I'm sure that streak of good fortune is due to end any day now.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to report that I got my Q back!  :D   A big kudos to Leica New Jersey for taking care of everything!  They were great to deal from the first time I contacted them regarding issues with the Q to providing status updates which made the entire process seamless and stress free.  They replaced the lens, the leather and adjusted and cleaned her up all under warranty and it only took one month.  It is such a good feeling to know that Leica stands behind their products reinforcing my decision on why I purchased my Q and why I will definitely in the future only buy Leica; hopefully it will be a Leica M10.  I am now and forever will be a Leica fanboy.

• Like 8