SL on Safari

sunil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone on this forum used the SL on Safari? I ran into a into a gentleman who said he had used the SL with an M-135mm lens in India and had obtained spectacular results. If the answer is yes, I'd love to hear more about your experiences, particularly if you used the "beast" (SL 90-280mm).

I haven't used an SL, but I've been on Safari. 280 is definitely on the short side. I would recommend at least 400 as longest focal length.

Larger animals at normal viewing distance will be fine, but as soon as you want to record smaller animals, birds, detail, closeup or even far off-which is not a huge success normally-, you will have to resort to cropping quite severely.

That is quite true - however, invest the same money in a GX9 and  DG Vario-Elmar 100-400 and you will have a great set next to the SL and 90-280:

200-800 equivalent, 5-axis, 5-stop stabilization, 30 fps shooting with pre-burst, etc. It really supplements the (admittedly higher IQ) Leica combo.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd leave out the word "severely"  it would still get  you some fine shots. As an alternative, an old but fine Telyt 400 R rapid-focus should not cost more than 1000 $, probably a lot less, and could easily fill the gap.

Thanks all. Sounds like the SL will be seriously limited on Safari unless I spring for a 400mm+ lens without AF capabilities. Guess I'll have to find other reasons to justify the SL

Well, in a pinch an SL twirled around by its neck strap will likely drop a charging rhino.

• Like 1

I used my SL on safari in Kruger, where the distances aren't as far as say the Masai Mara. I used an R 80mm Summilux and got wonderful shots, cropping some of the time. I had a 180mm Apo-Elmarit but ended up not using it. You absolutely do not need autofocus, especially with an EVF like the SL has. It was refreshing not having to fiddle with manual focus points. I just zoomed in, focused, and took the shot. Sometimes I anticipated movement and pre-focused at a certain point. If I were to do it again, I'd bring a 90mm Apo-Summicron (R or M) and a 280mm Apo f/4 with a beanbag.

• Like 3