R lens storage

J514QC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I just read 6 different topic on how to store lens but every topic seem to just switch to an other subject about fungus or specific climate and never really adress these questions. If you where to leave your lens for a couple of month how would you store it.

For our R Leica lens

Mount up or down or sideway ?

Apperture wide open or closed down or half closed ?

Closed sealed box or open to air circulation ?

Pitch dark, ambiant or exposed to direct daylight ?

I know there is specific tips for extreme climate. I get that putting your lens on the side vs bottom down will not change anything overnight. I just want to optimize the storage to maximise their conditions for the next 10 to 20 years and more.

Thanks

I keep all my lenses face down, in a steel cabinet, almost hermetically sealed office, very even temps, non-airconditioned.

My cameras live there too. Still get 1 sec exposure on an old twin reflex camera. Nothing deteriorates, over many years.

I think a couple of months, there will be no problems however you store.

Edited by david strachan

Thanks for your response,

Do you store them full open or full stopped down and why ?

You said that you stored them facedown but do you have a specific reason or ... Because I also found that some people store them bottom down....

I read something about face up or down regarding possible oil spill on aperture blade on the Leia R lenses, is that why you store them facedown, to avoid oil spill ?

I also found an official reply from Nikon on this that for their lens storage orientation does not affect spill but overheat over time or extreme heat situation may lead to spill and oil on aperture blade. But storing even for an extensive period of time at any angle would not cause lens damage, but maybe thats only for their recent model that may use different and or less oil and this does not apply to Leia old R lens or other vintage lens.

I may sound insane but it does not cost money to store them right and the fact that I cant really find any info backed by people who understand or even repair these lens start to drive me a little bit crazy.

Leica should really have like a care check list on how to store these lens.

Edited by Julienmm

A Leica service person told me that R telephoto lenses should never be placed or stored with the front element facing down as it could eventually cause play in the focus ring.

I keep my lenses in an electronic dry cabinet that allows residual light through its glass door, usually stored horizontally on a cushioned base, with the aperture left as I last used it.  So far, so good.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M and R lenses are all lying on their sides on contoured foam drawers in a low-humidity photographic equipment cabinet.

They all lie in order of FL and speed, front & back caps on, white aperture index dot up, facing back to front, aperture wide open, infinity focus.

Not because I'm aware it's a better way to store them - I'm just a bit OCD :-) 

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

I think you're obsessing over nothing. Lenses should be used, if not frequently for photos, then to exercise them and keep their lubricants well dispersed and not dried out. So rather than obsess over one way of positioning, why not just periodically rotate them...then you cover all bases.

I think you're obsessing over nothing. Lenses should be used, if not frequently for photos, then to exercise them and keep their lubricants well dispersed and not dried out. So rather than obsess over one way of positioning, why not just periodically rotate them...then you cover all bases.

If you're referring to me, all my lenses get used :-)

Mark - my comments were directed toward the OP who is seeking info for long periods of disuse :)

Yes I know, but I have other digital camera that get used more often, my film leica R body and lens will get used 4 or 5 times a year maybe 2 to 5 roll of film when I travel and for some shooting.

Still I dont have the infos on how they are supposed to be stored !

With lens that are now 10,20,30+ years old they must be collector storing them in certains ways to avoid problem. But beside personal story of members saying I did this and it worked for me there must be recommendation from leica or people who repair them based on fact to maximise their mechanical and optic condition.

Mount up or down or sideway ? ( maybe tension or weight that could be misplaced over time )

Apperture wide open or closed down or half closed ? ( witch one is the best for the spring and blades over time )

Closed sealed box or open to air circulation ? ( People using drybox, good or bad and why )

Pitch dark, ambiant or exposed to direct daylight ? ( again regarding fungus ... )

Maybe im crazy, but I just want to threat these lens like my bottle of wine, they deserve the same and cost enough to care.

If the key is its dosent matther store them with common sense and use them once a month to keep them in shape over perfectly stored lens that get used each 3 month then there it is.

You summed it up in your last sentence, Julienmm.  Common Sense: stable, dry area to avoid drops and dings, avoid moisture and condensation from rapid temp changes, and rotate the aperture and focus rings occasionally if not shooting with them often.  

I keep lenses/cameras in soft or hard cases on a shelf, usually with a small silica gel packet inside the cases.  

I doubt there are scientific studies on lens storage methods that compare the variables mentioned in your original post.  

• Like 1

Julien,

You might seek professional clarification from Westlicht who are likely to know a bit about about it and are likely to have seen the side effects of incorrectly storing lenses - if there are 'incorrect' ways that can lead to degradation.

Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I know, but I have other digital camera that get used more often, my film leica R body and lens will get used 4 or 5 times a year maybe 2 to 5 roll of film when I travel and for some shooting.

Still I dont have the infos on how they are supposed to be stored !

With lens that are now 10,20,30+ years old they must be collector storing them in certains ways to avoid problem. But beside personal story of members saying I did this and it worked for me there must be recommendation from leica or people who repair them based on fact to maximise their mechanical and optic condition.

Mount up or down or sideway ? ( maybe tension or weight that could be misplaced over time )

Apperture wide open or closed down or half closed ? ( witch one is the best for the spring and blades over time )

Closed sealed box or open to air circulation ? ( People using drybox, good or bad and why )

Pitch dark, ambiant or exposed to direct daylight ? ( again regarding fungus ... )

Maybe im crazy, but I just want to threat these lens like my bottle of wine, they deserve the same and cost enough to care.

If the key is its dosent matther store them with common sense and use them once a month to keep them in shape over perfectly stored lens that get used each 3 month then there it is.

FWIW, I think that your questions/concerns are excellent ones--that I'm curious to know too.  May be beneficial to simply ask Leica, rather than wade through members here trying to tell you how & when to use your lenses & not answering your question.

Edited by Leitzfan

• 5 weeks later...

FWIW, I think that your questions/concerns are excellent ones--that I'm curious to know too.  May be beneficial to simply ask Leica, rather than wade through members here trying to tell you how & when to use your lenses & not answering your question.

A very sensible suggestion.