Shall I swap my Noctilux f1 for a 50mm APO?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pathetically I can't make up my mind if I like the Noctilux - I will be the first to admit that I haven't had enough time to get used to it properly.

Then maybe you should do that first before you do something you might regret later ?

You should only replace the Noctilux with the APO-50 if you do not like the renedering of the Noctilux.

THIS !

The 1.0/50 Noctilux is big and heavy and focuses slowly and has some focus shift. For all it's optical abberations it beautifully 'paints' photographs. People who know little about photography always comment about photographs shot with this lens.

Well, I really dont really think that the point of photography is that you make images only for people who are into photography.

I can only totally agree. The difference in IQ between the Elmar and the APO will not be seen above 2.8.

That wouldnt bother me at all, because a Noctilux exists for being shot wide open, not at f2.8.

This just occurred to me - for many, the weight of the 50 Noctilux is a problem.  I have yet to read  or hear any comments lamenting the weight of the 75 Noctilux from actual users, which is heavier still than its 50mm brethren.

I wonder why that is?

Its too new. People love new things.

Edited by LichtUndDunkelheit
  • Like 1

Simple enough at this point. If you have to ask the question, then it is far too early to make a change. You need to use your lenses enough to be fully acquainted with them and their characteristics...then you can judge whether or not to make a swap, based on empirical personal evidence.

I tend to agree. 

All - ok 

Now to make this even more complicated I have the chrome 50mm Lux and thats a lot of weight... I truly love the LUX 50mm. 

Suggestions on what consolidation efforts I should conceder? 

It's still lighter than most full frame DSLR's with ƒ1.2 prime lens attached and some mirrorless cameras with fast glass. Some may even have a flash attached depending on use.

I'll take my M240 and 50mm ƒ1 noctilux over the DSLR I use to carry for work.  Have to say I enjoy my 50mm summilux that I picked up last year, I do use it more than my noctilux. I need to use my noctilux more often. It's not the weight that bothers me it is percentage of keepers to tossers with the noctilux. I will say the EVF has helped tremendously the hit of keepers. I love both lenses and they both have there place and time to be used for me.

• Like 1

I’d never get rid of my Noctilux f1. It’s taken a solid six months of use to really gel with this lens and begin to master the focus. A 1.25 magnifier has really helped with that as since I don’t like to use the EVF much. Honestly, I’d keep it, use it exclusively for 3 to 6 months and see how you feel before swapping it out. APO’s are a dime a dozen, Noctilux’s on the other hand!

Mike

• Like 1

Ok so far I think the right thing to do is to trade my Lux 50mm Chrome for a Black version. I will keep the Noctilux f1 and on my upcoming holiday I'm only going to take my Noctilux and my Lux 35mm FLE. 

I guess I have to buy a 50 APO at some point, for now its time to get used to the Noctilux 

• Like 2

Ok so far I think the right thing to do is to trade my Lux 50mm Chrome for a Black version. I will keep the Noctilux f1 and on my upcoming holiday I'm only going to take my Noctilux and my Lux 35mm FLE. 

I guess I have to buy a 50 APO at some point, for now its time to get used to the Noctilux 

Funny thing, I don't know why with M10 (and M-D now), I tend to use small/light lenses.

As long time Noctilux/Summilux lover now I use those scarcely or never for some.

My goto : S-A 4/21mm, Summaron 28mm, Summarit-M 35/50mm, Tele-Elmarit "thin" 90mm

Don't blame me, I keep those "Light Giants" for when I do need those speed.

Maybe with ISO capability of new M, I wouldn't use them anymore.

Time will tell.

• Like 2

I’d never get rid of my Noctilux f1. It’s taken a solid six months of use to really gel with this lens and begin to master the focus. A 1.25 magnifier has really helped with that as since I don’t like to use the EVF much. Honestly, I’d keep it, use it exclusively for 3 to 6 months and see how you feel before swapping it out. APO’s are a dime a dozen, Noctilux’s on the other hand!

Mike

I never had that experience with my f/1 Noctilux.  The 90/2 APO is another issue; DOF at f/2 is even thinner than the Noctilux at f/1 and it has been a challenge.

As Mike points out, the 50 APO lens is readily available; however the 50/1 Noctilux is harder to find on the used market if you want a mint copy.  I have to agree with Mike and others who have said they will never part with their f/1 Noctilux.  While the 0.95 ASPH Noctilux does offer technical improvements over its predecessor, they are incremental and produce a more clinical result compared to the more artistic rendering of the f/1.

JMHO but the f/1 Noctilux produces a magic at f/1 that its newer 0.95 sibling cannot.  The good Dr. Mandler was truly a prodigy in terms of his lens designs, but he really nailed the jello to the wall with the f/1 Noctilux.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

As Mike points out, the 50 APO lens is readily available; however the 50/1 Noctilux is harder to find on the used market if you want a mint copy.  I have to agree with Mike and others who have said they will never part with their f/1 Noctilux.  While the 0.95 ASPH Noctilux does offer technical improvements over its predecessor, they are incremental and produce a more clinical result compared to the more artistic rendering of the f/1.

JMHO but the f/1 Noctilux produces a magic at f/1 that its newer 0.95 sibling cannot.  The good Dr. Mandler was truly a prodigy in terms of his lens designs, but he really nailed the jello to the wall with the f/1 Noctilux.

I agree on all these points but it has that effect at all apertures and I rarely use it fully wide open.  It is indeed my 'art' lens (along with the 75 Summilux which is just a better corrected and more intimate 1.0 Noctilux), and also now my favourite lens for photographing people, even just at casual family functions.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

This just occurred to me - for many, the weight of the 50 Noctilux is a problem. I have yet to read or hear any comments lamenting the weight of the 75 Noctilux from actual users, which is heavier still than its 50mm brethren.

I wonder why that is?

The 75 noctilux’s weight and size are its largest drawback. But it is optically a masterpiece, and the only 75 mm lens I own, so I accept the trade offs. As was pointed out, the few fortunate enough to have this new lens are self-selected by virtue of having to had sign up for the waiting list long ago and by its non-trivial cost to know what they are getting into. Plus there is likely some buyer’s bias as well. All that said, it is optically stunning— as well corrected and free from nearly all aberration at f/1.25 as the 50 APO at f/2. But man, is it big and heavy!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by onasj
  • Like 2

@onasj,

I love the way individual human hair strands are discernible and how the background is impressionistic almost to the point of looking like a watercolor painting.  The Noctilux lenses may be behemoths compared to lenses like the 21/3.4, 28/2.8 and 50/2.4 but the results produced by these lenses cannot be dismissed or denied.

As for me, I'm off to the Leica showroom as soon as I locate my wallet with my spare $13,000 in it. 

I fear it's going to be a long search.  :huh:

Edited by Herr Barnack

I would keep the F1 and buy the 50 APO. I have both the 50mm f0.95 and the 50APO they compliment each other and in the end you will feel bad you sold the f1. 

Onasj congratulations on the 75 Nocti, but what is the strang artifact in her face in this photo? Colors also seem to be oversatured. I used the 75 nocti when I was in Wetzlar and my photos were not so saturated at all. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Actually I really like the colors in that example images, it gives the photo a 1960s/1970s feel.

I wouldn't call colours or lens drawing 1960s.

For recreating that period i am thinking more appropriate TRI-X and M3/M2 with 50mm f2 or 90mm f4 or Nikon F with 50mm f2 or 105mm f2.5.

I would keep the F1 and buy the 50 APO. I have both the 50mm f0.95 and the 50APO they compliment each other and in the end you will feel bad you sold the f1.

Onasj congratulations on the 75 Nocti, but what is the strang artifact in her face in this photo? Colors also seem to be oversatured. I used the 75 nocti when I was in Wetzlar and my photos were not so saturated at all.

L1090024.jpg

Where abouts? I don’t see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to return with a short update. 

I speent 2 weeks with the Noctilux f1 on a holiday trip to Mexico City and even if I brought my 35mm LUX FLE for architecture and street, I mainly used the Noctilux f1 wide open for everything. I used the 50mm LUX a little and even if its much easier to nail pictures with the 35 and 50 LUX I like the results best from the Noctilux. Its definitely going to stay with me. 

I'm surprised how well the Noctilux works wide open without ND filter, feels like a very versatile lens so I'm happy I decided to stick it on my M10 for 2 weeks. 

With regards to weight, its not an issue when traveling for pleasure, but very different for me when I travel for work so a 50 mm APO might do the trick if I can afford it one day. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't call colours or lens drawing 1960s.

For recreating that period i am thinking more appropriate TRI-X and M3/M2 with 50mm f2 or 90mm f4 or Nikon F with 50mm f2 or 105mm f2.5.

That would be black and white though.

If you check old books thats how color images looked back then. Well, at least in some of these books.

100% James - the 50mm Elmar either a 3,5 or a modern 2.8 is ALL that you need. As my Grandfather said in 1926 "Wants are many and needs are few" and when it comes to Leica 50mm lenses never was a truer word spoken.

Haaaaa very true! 

• Like 2